Best Helicopter scenes on film

Tools    

I don't think any other film can even approach the realism of the truly fatal helicopter crash in the Vietnam War segment of The Twilight Zone movie.

All good people are asleep and dreaming.
I don't think any other film can even approach the realism of the truly fatal helicopter crash in the Vietnam War segment of The Twilight Zone movie.
So because Vic Morrow and two young kids were killed it makes it one of the best helicopter scenes?

RightUpTheLittleTramps@ss !

YAY! Twilight Zone!! There's a sign post up ahead. Your next stop The Twilight Zone!

Arnie Cunningham- Right up the little tramps @ss!

So because Vic Morrow and two young kids were killed it makes it one of the best helicopter scenes?
Never said it was best or even good. Certainly not necessary. If you’ll look back at my original post, I only said no other helicopter scene can match it for REALISM. Good or bad are value judgments decided by God, but reality exists on its own. As a movie scene, it was of no worse quality than any of the other scenes mentioned.

That fatal crash, caused by a director cranking up the boom of his pyrotechnics and blowing the helicopter out of the sky, can be looked at as the ultimate extension of the argument that foul language is now necessary in movies “because it makes it more real” and more nudity is needed on screen so the scene is “more lifelike.” Why not go further and shoot some actors with real bullets for “more lifelike” death scenes? There’s plenty of precedent for it—the ancient Romans used to kill on stage slaves and criminals who portrayed doomed characters in plays.

We could even have audience participation—call-in votes like they have now on those reality talent and dating shows, only in this case nobody knows who got the most votes—not the public and certainly not the actor—until he or she is run down, gunned down, garroted, or hacked to pieces on screen. C’mon, we all know of actors we don’t like or are tired of! Adam Sandler wouldn’t last out the first few months.

Personally, I think we should go even further. I remember a TV interview in which the war-veteran director of The Big Red 1 said the only way to have made the war scenes more realistic would be to have a rifleman behind the screen occasionally firing haphazardly into the audience. Now that would be the ultimate reality! When Freddie and Jason are slicing and dicing on screen, someone in a similar outfit would go out in the audience and cut off a couple of heads. Or someone in the balcony could take a hit while enjoying the “realism” of the Normandy invasion in Finding Pvt. Ryan.

Ahh, movies—more realistic than ever!

All good people are asleep and dreaming.
Never said it was best or even good. Certainly not necessary. If you’ll look back at my original post, I only said no other helicopter scene can match it for REALISM. Good or bad are value judgments decided by God, but reality exists on its own. As a movie scene, it was of no worse quality than any of the other scenes mentioned.

That fatal crash, caused by a director cranking up the boom of his pyrotechnics and blowing the helicopter out of the sky, can be looked at as the ultimate extension of the argument that foul language is now necessary in movies “because it makes it more real” and more nudity is needed on screen so the scene is “more lifelike.” Why not go further and shoot some actors with real bullets for “more lifelike” death scenes? There’s plenty of precedent for it—the ancient Romans used to kill on stage slaves and criminals who portrayed doomed characters in plays.

We could even have audience participation—call-in votes like they have now on those reality talent and dating shows, only in this case nobody knows who got the most votes—not the public and certainly not the actor—until he or she is run down, gunned down, garroted, or hacked to pieces on screen. C’mon, we all know of actors we don’t like or are tired of! Adam Sandler wouldn’t last out the first few months.

Personally, I think we should go even further. I remember a TV interview in which the war-veteran director of The Big Red 1 said the only way to have made the war scenes more realistic would be to have a rifleman behind the screen occasionally firing haphazardly into the audience. Now that would be the ultimate reality! When Freddie and Jason are slicing and dicing on screen, someone in a similar outfit would go out in the audience and cut off a couple of heads. Or someone in the balcony could take a hit while enjoying the “realism” of the Normandy invasion in Finding Pvt. Ryan.

Ahh, movies—more realistic than ever!
The title of the thread is Best Helicopter scenes on film, not most realistic.

Unfortunate accidents happen everyday, this one was on a movie set.

Then you mention God, foul language, nudity, shooting actors with real bullets, ancient Romans, slaves, criminals, audience participation, actor run down, garroted, hacked to pieces, Adam Sandler, riflemen shooting into the audience, Freddie and Jason, Normandy invasion.

Your psychobabble doesn't impress me.

\m/ Fade To Black \m/
The best IMO is Terminator 2 when the T1000 comes through the window and tells the piolet to get out.

WOW!! I'm so surprised no one mentions "FIREBIRDS" with Nic Cage and Tommy Lee Jones. I wouldn't call it "Oscar Worthy" but it is what"TOPGUN" is to fighter jets, it is to helicopters.

Kenny, don't paint your sister.
[quote=L .B . Jeffries;50005]In No Particular Order

Fugitive, The (1993) - tracking The Fugitive

I loved in the end when Tommy Lee Jones yells into the walkie talkie "Call off the chopper! Cause I don't wanna get shot!"

Great flick!

Kenny, don't paint your sister.
[quote=Classicqueen13;538357]
In No Particular Order

Fugitive, The (1993) - tracking The Fugitive

I loved in the end when Tommy Lee Jones yells into the walkie talkie "Call off the chopper! Cause I don't wanna get shot!"

Great flick!

I don't think that quoted correctly

I can't believe UF hasn't dropped this into this thread yet. After a night of running around trying to escape from Demons and just after a minute or so of our hero riding around on a dirt bike with a samurai sword chopping up said demons, a Helicopter inexplicably drops through the ceiling. Love that. Great flick by the way. Watch it. Demoni (1985)

&feature=related

I was reading a kind of autobiography of Chuck Norris. Chuck said that when they filmed the ending scene of Missing In Action (I can't remember if its the first or second one), there was a mistake. When Chuck led the POWs into the ocean, about waist deep and the helicopter picked them up, then Chuck was supposed to grab the ladder, and get lifted a couple of feet over the ocean. At that time they were supposed to switch to a stunt guy. The pilot however, either didn't know this or thought it was the stunt man, and he flew off. Chuck said that he remembers clinging to the ladder as tight as he could, and wondering if he could survive the drop. So the final scene is actually Chuck Norris hanging onto the ladder as the helicopter flies high over the ocean. I thought that was pretty cool.

Mission Impossible III has a good chase scene.

How about Jackie Chan dangling from that helicopter over Malaysia in Supercop?

I loved it when the Apache appears out of nowhere in Toy Soldiers.

THANK YOU!

Was dying for somebody to say that. The scene in 28 Weeks Later is a referance to that awesome scene in the original Dawn Of The Dead.

Loved the helicopter scene in The Matrix, too. The shot where both Neo and Morpheous simultaneously leaping towards each other is epic.

RIP www.moviejustice.com 2002-2010
WOW!! I'm so surprised no one mentions "FIREBIRDS" with Nic Cage and Tommy Lee Jones. I wouldn't call it "Oscar Worthy" but it is what"TOPGUN" is to fighter jets, it is to helicopters.
And while Top Gun has a naive charm to it, in all of the patriotic over-masculine machismo posturing, and heavy handed message; Firebirds is complete ****. The only thing that even struck me as minorly interesting was the eye dominance thing.

Unhealthy love for helicopters
Hands down...It has to be the amazing rescue scene from Black Sunday, a made-for-TV movie in the early 70's. I think it was that scene more than anything else that fueled my love for helicopters. You can easily view it on Youtube by searching for "helicopter vs airship". FANTASTIC!