old sci-fi film

Tools    

reservoir dogs circa 1881
i'll be damned if i cant remember the name of this old film i'm even more frustrated because its not really obscure either.a boy sees something crash in the fields behind his house he tells his parents who investigate and come back less emotional a la bodysnatchers,they then take other people who get sucked into the sand where the original crash happened.that should be enough for you i want to buy this film i just cant remember the title doh!

INVADERS FROM MARS
1953, William Cameron Menzies
1986, Tobe Hooper

The 1953 original and the 1986 re-make both tell essentially the same story: a boy named David sees a flying saucer land behind his house, his Dad investigates but comes back changed. Soon much of the town's population seems changed and sinister, so David, with the aide of one of his teachers and a scientist, fight to get the authorities to believe them and take action before it is too late!

For more, see THIS thread.

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

i knew you would get it good man!i didnt realise there was a remake ill have to give that a watch too.is that timothy bottoms in the remake picture?

i knew you would get it good man!i didnt realise there was a remake ill have to give that a watch too.is that timothy bottoms in the remake picture?
Yes, the re-make, directed by Tobe Hooper (The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Poltergeist) stars Hunter Carson (Paris, Texas) as David, with Timothy Bottoms (The Last Picture Show, The Paper Chase) and Laraine Newman ("SNL") as his parents. Karen Black (Five Easy Pieces, Nashville) is the teacher who believes him, with Louise Fletcher (One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest) and Bud Cort (Harold & Maude) in key supporting roles.

For my money the re-make doesn't do anything really new with the material, as Kaufman's 1978 version of Invasion of the Body Snatchers had so brilliantly, but it's certainly watchable for B-grade '80s entertainment. The effects for the monsters and such are certainly better in 1986 flick and it's played a little more arch, especially Louise Fletcher.

Well, duh me! I was about to link him to that thread, and realized you did.

Anyway, these are both fun, cheesy films. I only know about them because of Holden's thread. I bought the both of those, and I Married A Monster From Outer Space (1957). I honestly haven't watched that one yet.

thanks guys gonna get my hands on day the earth stood still and village of the damned too when i get chanc

Village of the Damned is great. The sequel is pretty good, too. I don't have The Day the Earth Stood Still, yet. I need to go through that thread again.