2000s
8.70%
4 votes
2010s
15.22%
7 votes
Something else (specify in thread)
46 votes. You may not vote on this poll

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I think the answer is best illustrated by taking the opposite hypothetical and saying: why not just let people take years and have the countdown in a decade? Because then we'd never get to do another countdown, of course.

It's a balancing act between the desire to do these at a reasonable pace (otherwise people lose interest) and the desire to give people a reasonable amount of time to watch. There's no right answer, but there's obviously benefit to a shorter watch period: it's just a balancing act.

My suspicion is even if someone does not watch a lot of modern movies, they'll have naturally seen more from the 2000s than some of the older decades. 2010s might be different, though.

(I'm sorry I didn't reply yesterday, but the storm decided that I shouldn't use the computer last night.)

I wasn't saying to stretch the watch period to an unreasonable length. I was just saying that it shouldn't be shortened too much either. Most of the previous countdowns have had about 3-4 months, so I think it would be fair to keep about the same amount of time for this countdown.

Not sure why what I said got lumped in there with "being in a rush." I said 2 months should be the absolute minimum. I would prefer at least 3.
I just quoted everyone who was in the conversation (for completeness), so your comment was quoted too. Plus, you seemed to agree with me about not making the watch period too short.

I got multi-quoted there in gbgoodies post and sure is three months a decent compromise? Anyway I think it's up to the host.
Yes, three months is a good compromise.

Is the nomination thread up yet? If it is, I can't find it
Hey, we have two threads running...

• Preliminary Thread, for overall doubts, questions, concerns about the countdown, eligibility, etc.
  • Recommendation Thread, for, well, general recommendations. They can be yours or from online articles and sources. Keep an eye on the second post of the thread, where I've put several useful links.

For future reference, both threads are under the Movie Reviews "umbrella".

Society ennobler, last seen in Medici's Florence
Well, since the 2000's countdown will be finalized soon, then isn't it the time next watching period to be started now? It takes so much time...

But the most important, is there a chosen topic for the next countdown?

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
I think it might be fun to do a theme or genre, instead of another decades themed countdown.
Noir is like the only one left that doesn't seem so confusing on its boundaries, unless we do a reboot.

We should do a genre countdown next. We've always switched between decades and genres/themes, it keeps these countdowns fresh. The genre countdowns have a different feel than the decade ones...and it helps people explore movies from genre or themes that they otherwise wouldn't have done.

Some past genre/theme ideas that we haven't done yet:
Action
Black & White Films
Comedy
Fantasy
Musicals
Noir
War

I'm sure we could think of more choices too.

Noir is like the only one left that doesn't seem so confusing on its boundaries, unless we do a reboot.
I disagree. I actually find Noir to be among the most confusing on its boundaries. I think I discussed this with Sean on Letterboxd awhile back, but I've yet to find a satisfactory definition of what the hell Noir even is. I've looked at existing top Noir lists around the web and find myself scratching my head at some of the entries I've seen.

I hate musicals and would struggle to even compile a list of ten (and that's assuming animated musicals are eligible), but at least I'm pretty clear on a what a musical is.

I'd love an excuse to watch a bunch of musicals tbh. Not sure I could even put together a satisfactory top 10 as it stands.
But that's why we have like a 3 month watch period so people can delve into a genre that they usually never watch. When we did the western countdown alot of people found out that by watching different westerns that the genre is actually very broad and can cover topics and styles vastly different than what people think are 'westerns'. The same could be said for most if not all of the genre topics I just posted.