Rate and Rank The 'Star Wars' Films

Tools    

Hellloooo Cindy - Scary Movie (2000)
I tend to think the reverse with Rogue One, the films main weakess was that it became a bit dry during the middle of the climatic battle, improved again as the characters started to be killed off though.

It is obviously a shift from the norm with blockbusters these days in terms of characterisation though that has become incredibly broad acting/writing. Again though for me I found it a good deal closer to something like Empire Strikes Back that I think would get a very mixed reception were it released today.
I can’t really see any similarity with ESB. Thin character development, scenes lacking any cohesiveness ie choppy, uninspired story and dialogue, I liked the action though towards the end. Terrible cgi Leia is the cherry on the top though.

I can’t really see any similarity with ESB. Thin character development, scenes lacking any cohesiveness ie choppy, uninspired story and dialogue, I liked the action though towards the end. Terrible cgi Leia is the cherry on the top though.
Can't say I really agree with that however much the talk of chopping anc changing before the film there was, I'd say ultimately the reshoots seem to have benefited it giving more character focus.

Again I think a lot of it comes down to what people expect these days. Something like Empire has the benefit of decades of viewing for most people which I think had helped sell its subtler hand character wise(especially the Luke/Yoda stuff) relative to Abrams style that's very much aimed at maximum impact on first viewing.

I found Rogue One far more character focused than The Force Awakens personally, The vast majority of the scenes we see are present to offer some character insight, its just not always the kind of broad histrionics many expect. The Force Awakens though for me throws its characters around from one plot point to another far more having little time for building any real motivation and depending heavily on nostalgia just as Abrams Trek films did.

Hellloooo Cindy - Scary Movie (2000)
Can't say I really agree with that however much the talk of chopping anc changing before the film there was, I'd say ultimately the reshoots seem to have benefited it giving more character focus.

Again I think a lot of it comes down to what people expect these days. Something like Empire has the benefit of decades of viewing for most people which I think had helped sell its subtler hand character wise(especially the Luke/Yoda stuff) relative to Abrams style that's very much aimed at maximum impact on first viewing.

I found Rogue One far more character focused than The Force Awakens personally, The vast majority of the scenes we see are present to offer some character insight, its just not always the kind of broad histrionics many expect. The Force Awakens though for me throws its characters around from one plot point to another far more having little time for building any real motivation and depending heavily on nostalgia just as Abrams Trek films did.
I agree with your comments regarding TFA but not when compared to Rogue One. Other films yes, Rogue one no. Obviously we’ll just have to disagree which is ok. Rogue one did well critically as did TFA maybe they are both great...or garbage.

Welcome to the human race...
Honestly I tend to feel a lot of the analysis we've seen on that subject from the likes of Red Letter Media feels like playing to an audience of modern less ambitious Hollywood films.

I mean the originals are obviously action blockbusters yet I think theres much more to them that for me in terms of depth of character/morality/setting and half a foot still remaining in the new wave.
Perhaps. I haven't bothered with any RLM content so I wouldn't know what they do or don't have to say about these movies, but these days I tend to be wary of any criticism that is coming from a fundamentally cynical place since it's too easy to go beyond the legitimate.

After all, what is the original but a really well-done hero's journey that codified a lot of that particular narrative's definitive tropes in the modern cultural consciousness? It's very easy to think that either nothing could measure up or that decades of imitators have rendered it less special.

Perhaps. I haven't bothered with any RLM content so I wouldn't know what they do or don't have to say about these movies, but these days I tend to be wary of any criticism that is coming from a fundamentally cynical place since it's too easy to go beyond the legitimate.

After all, what is the original but a really well-done hero's journey that codified a lot of that particular narrative's definitive tropes in the modern cultural consciousness? It's very easy to think that either nothing could measure up or that decades of imitators have rendered it less special.
The problem I'd say is that the viewpoint they represent seems to be that a "trope" has some kind of innate quality to it. I mean when you take it down to its most basic level yes the original film is a heroes journey but I would say its one that developed very successfully with a lengthy introduction of said hero and his environment and very much driven by him, he makes the choice to leave home, he desides to learn the force and then to face the Empire.

In Abrams film we get the same basic heroes journey in that Rey starts off in a similar backwater and ends up accepting the force and defeating the antagonist but I think its shorn of much of the depth of Luke's. She doesn't choose to leave home for example but is forced to do so, she doesn't choose to learn the force to any family history or moral view but has to in order to defeat the antagonist chasing her.

I would say as well that politically they clearly differ as well, the Empire in the original for me gives off much more of an "establishment" feeling to me that could be equally applicable to the US at the time. Luke's story does I think become not just about "fighting evil" but a rejection of that establishment for a more enlightened path where as The First Order end up as screaming space Nazi's.

In Chronological Order:

TPM: 8/10. Really liked this one as a child and this one introduced me to the story of Star Wars.
AOTC: 7/10. The dialogue's coarse and rough and gets into everything.
ROS: 9/10. Padme's Ruminations and the final duel between Obi-wan and Anakin are highlights of the saga. My favorite soundtrack of the saga.
R1: 9/10. Really liked the Galen Eros scenes and the Darth Vader scenes
ANH: 9/10. How it all started. Grown to appreciate it, particularly with comparing effects and the potential Lucas had for good dialogue; he was nominated for Best Original Screenplay. Can't understand why Annie Hall is better than this one.
ESB: 9/10. This one has really grown on me as I've grown up, particularly the Dagobah scenes.
ROTJ: 9/10. Fitting final installment (at first) for the saga. Darth Vader's final scenes bring me to tears every time.
TFA: 8.5/10. Really liked BB-8 and Han's scene with Kylo Ren is very moving.

█ █ █ █ █
The Return of Jedi - 4,5 / 5
Empire Strikes Back - 4,5 / 5
Force Awakens - 4,5 / 5
A New Hope - 4 / 5
Rogue One - 4 / 5
Phantom Menace - 3,5 / 5
Attack of The Clones - 3 / 5
Revenge of The Sith - 2 / 5

Im not capable of rating childhood cult classics so I'll just rank them:

Empire Strikes Back
A New Hope
Rogue One
Return of the Jedi
Force Awakens
Revenge of the Sith
Phantom Garbage
Attack of the Garbage

Keep your station clean - OR I WILL KILL YOU
Just rewatched episodes 4-7 in preparation for Last Jedi on Thursday. I don't rememeber Phantom Menace or Attack of the Clones, because I hated them, I will rewatch them soon. I'm actually very fond of Episode III. Here's my ranking.

Empire Strikes Back - 98%
The Return of the Jedi - 92%
The Force Awakens - 88%
A New Hope - 88%
Revenge of the Sith - 70%

Ep 4 and 7 switch from time to time.

Haven't seen Rogue One yet, would you guys recommend it?

You can't win an argument just by being right!
What do people do with these rankings???? I keepasking and no one answers. Does anyone even look at them or do they go directly into a fold in the space time continuum?

First 2.
3rd until the fluffy toys indicated the old, rich guy was losing it.
None of the following.

There. First time I did a rating of a franchise.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
Does it go into one of those time thingies to be dug up in 50 years time along with a big mac that hasnt decmposed and a scary tele tubbie?

No clue what to rate them all:

01. Empire Strikes Back
02. Star Wars
03. Return of the Jedi
04. The Force Awakens
05. Revenge of the Sith
06. Rogue One
07. The Phantom Menace
08. Attack of the Clones

anything over 5, I consider one of the best films ever made, forever influencing and changing the movie landscape, a paragon of which many future movies would be compared against)
Empire 6.5 (one of the best films ever made forever cha
new hope 5.5
return jedi 4.75
rogue one 3.75
episode 3 2.5
force awakens 2

can't remember ep 1 and ep 2.

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
Hard to rank, but my order may go something like this:

Return of the Jedi
A New Hope
The Empire Strikes Back
Revenge of the Sith
The Force Awakens
Attack of the Clones
The Phantom Menace
Rogue One

Return of the Jedi is normally my favorite but after watching it again, maybe not... I don't like the Luke turning out to be Leia's brother twist, and felt it was unnecessary and random. Not sure if I like the Ewoks as much as I did before either. But this is my order roughly.

I don't actually wear pants.
Star Wars IV
Star Wars VI
Star Wars V
Star Wars VII
Rogue One
Star Wars III
Star Wars I
Star Wars II

VII, Rogue One, and III are interchangeable in their spots, but the other five are solid.