Horror Movie HoF

Tools    

Master of My Domain
I'm gonna be the first one to try out Cannibal... wish me good luck lol

Anyone know where to get Nightwatch?
I think I might have a VHS copy somewhere, but that's not going to be much help to you.

I think I might have a VHS copy somewhere, but that's not going to be much help to you.
It might help me -- watch it for me. Along with the other movies. K, thanks, bye.

I already predict SC won't do this.
My psychic hotline has an opening! PM me your resume if interested.

Master of My Domain
Back from Cannibal...

It was exactly like the discussion about the film a page ago on this thread, it's a mess. A mess full of sex, gruesome violence, and a disturbing attributes that worst of all had no purpose to show except for the portrayal about the horrors of cannibalism, which it did pretty well but other than that I couldn't find anything to salvage. I tried to understand it and appreciate it as an foreign arthouse horror but it didn't really work. Or maybe I still lack in observing and analyzing films deeply enough...Sorry MovieGal.

An interesting selection of films. I've only seen 6 of the 16 nominations.

The Haunting is one of the best of its kind. Classic horror at its finest.

Rosemary's Baby is one of my all-time favorites and one of the greatest horror movies ever made. It's my pick to win this Hall of Fame.

Never seen The Abominable Dr. Phibes, but it looks cool. When I think of Vincent Prince, I primarily think of Edward Scissorhands and the voice-over in Michael Jackson's "Thriller." I've seen almost none of Price's movies, so I need to rectify that at some point.

Never heard of The Night Stalker. The fact that it's a made-for-TV movie limits my interest.

Suspiria is a film I need to re-visit. I liked it, didn't love it. The visuals are certainly extraordinary. As of right now, I think it's the only Argento film I've seen, something else I need to rectify.

Nosferatu the Vampyre is an all-time favorite and the greatest vampire movie ever made, in my opinion. Absolutely love it.

Possession has been on my watch list for a long time. It seems to be a love-or-hate type of film.

I didn't care much for the first Hellraiser, so I never bothered with the sequel. I want to give the first film another chance, though, since I like the concept and Pinhead is an awesome character.

Never heard of NightWatch.

Cannibal has been on my Netflix queue for years. I remember reading about the true story behind the film, which piqued my interest in watching it. Until this Hall of Fame, though, I had never heard anyone ever mention it, so I've always assumed it must not be very good. Reading Gatsby's take on the film and seeing others already get worked up about having to watch it only makes me want to bump it up to the top of my queue. The more disturbing a horror film is the better, in my opinion.

May is another film that's been on my watch list for a long time. The two films I've seen so far from the director -- Red and The Woman -- were below average, in my opinion, so that hasn't put me in a rush to watch May. I know quite a few people who really like it, though.

Back when it came out, The Ring was one of the creepiest, scariest films I'd ever seen. It has lost some of its luster over the years, although I still like it. The scene with the girl crawling out of the well still gives me goosebumps.

A Tale of Two Sisters is on my watch list. I plan on watching it sooner than later. I Saw the Devil is one of my favorite films from recent years, and I also greatly enjoyed The Good, the Bad, the Weird, so I have high expectations.

Cricket and I seem to have similar taste in horror films, so if he says Alyce Kills is worth watching, I believe him. I've added it to my queue.

Outside of a few memorable scenes, Audition was just okay for me. I fail to see what all the hype is about.

Here's what I wrote about You're Next after watching it a few months ago. Needless to say, I wasn't impressed:

You're Next
(Adam Winguard, 2013)

When I first saw a trailer for You're Next, I thought it looked like one of the most unoriginal films I'd ever seen. Then it received surprisingly strong reviews and the endorsement of my friends. Now that I've seen it, I should have trusted my initial instinct. You're Next isn't the self-aware horror comedy many have labeled it. Sure, the film tries to be different, teetering toward a Scream-version of the home-invasion sub-genre, but instead it lands more on the side of The Strangers and a gazillion other similar films. If this is what passes for smart nowadays, then the genre has fallen farther than I thought. At least when a horror film features the usual cast of stereotypes--- the virgin, the nerd, the stoner, etc.--- you recognize those characters, regardless of their lack of depth. The problem with You're Next is that everyone looks and acts alike, so it's as if the entire cast blends into one faceless blob of bland personalities. Since the relationships between most of the characters isn't evident, the big twist in the second half had no impact. Some viewers have mentioned the humor in the film, which I failed to notice except in one or two scenes, and even then the movie fails to fully commit to the joke, resulting in an awkward moment of "Should I laugh or should I not?" And with the exception of a blender to the skull, even the kills lack creativity. Overall, You're Next is a rudimentary, by-the-the-numbers home-invasion movie lacking in tension, scares or suspense, yet somehow it has fooled many viewers into thinking it's more than the sum of its severed parts.

Unregistered User
Late to this thread. 7 of the nominations i have never seen but looking forward to all them. Will try get a couple lines up about my pick, Possession, if i can get time here.

Unregistered User
My pick was Andrzej Zulawski's 1981 horror, Possession. For me, this is one of my current favourite horror movies. It contains outrageously brilliant performances from both Sam Neill and the stunning Isabelle Adjani, with the former in particular establishing himself as one of my favourite actors. An incredibly atmospheric, gory, thought-provoking, ferocious, mindf&*k of a movie, Possession is like few other film's you are ever likely to see. If you can imagine combining Bergman's Scene's from a Marriage, Ferrara's Bad Lieutenant, Cronenberg's The Brood, and Kubrick's The Shining altogether with Polanski at the helm, this might be the end result.

I hope everyone enjoy's this as much as i do.

I have to finish the last 20 minutes of Possession after I get my coffee. Just looking at some of the comments after waking up; Samoan Lawyer and Captain Spaulding have each exactly said something about it that I was already planning on saying about it. That's freaky to me.

Possession

This movie may have been the oldest member of my watchlist. I think I put it off because, even though I was greatly interested in it, I had my doubts as to if I would actually end up liking it. Like Captain Spaulding said, I believe that this is a love it or hate it type of film that could potentially create more debate in this thread than any of the other nominations.

I don't want to say what the movie is about. If somebody blindly watched it, I think it could take a good 45 minutes until they might fully realize it's a horror film. Even before that, when things get strange, I found this movie to be unnerving.

Like The Samoan Lawyer mentioned, this movie greatly reminded of David Cronenberg's underseen and magnificent, The Brood. Not so much in story, but in mood, atmosphere, and pace. They also have the same look, as they were made only 2 years apart. The 2 of them just have the same feel. I also thought faintly of Lars Von Trier's Antichrist.

Isabelle Adjani(also from Nosferatu the Vampyre) and Sam Neill go balls out crazy with their performances, and the movie is worth watching for those alone. I'm not sure if I always knew what was going on in this movie, so it definitely gives you something to think about.

I'm afraid that some people may find this movie ridiculous. I found this movie to be unsettling, very unique, and memorable. Maybe I'm slightly overrating it because I just watched it, but I friggin loved it. I'm giving it

I think I am most excited to see Posession. Looks like my kind of film.

That's the one I was most excited to see, a big part of that being that I've already wanted to see it for years.

By the way everyone, make sure you watch the full 123 minute version. It's on YouTube!