City on a Hill

Tools    

I'm surprised I didn't find a thread for this. It's on Showtime and this is the plot from Wikipedia-

"Set in Boston in the early 90s when the city was rife with violent criminals emboldened by local law enforcement agencies, in which corruption, tribalism, and "taking it to the street" was the norm, until it all suddenly changed. This is a fictional account of what was called the "Boston Miracle". The change agent is District Attorney Decourcy Ward (Aldis Hodge), who comes from Brooklyn and forms an unlikely alliance with Jackie Rohr (Kevin Bacon), a corrupt yet venerated FBI veteran who is deeply invested in maintaining the status quo. Together they take on a family of armored car robbers from Charlestown (Jonathan Tucker, Mark O'Brien, and Jimmy Cummings) in a case that grows to encompass and eventually upend Boston’s citywide criminal justice system."

It's what you'd want a Boston based crime show to be. The acting, dialogue, and character development are all superb. There's not a lot of action but it's extremely effective when it comes. Bacon is the big draw playing a more fun Bad Lieutenant type, a terrible guy who's a blast to watch.

Unregistered User
I'm surprised I didn't find a thread for this. It's on Showtime and this is the plot from Wikipedia-

"Set in Boston in the early 90s when the city was rife with violent criminals emboldened by local law enforcement agencies, in which corruption, tribalism, and "taking it to the street" was the norm, until it all suddenly changed. This is a fictional account of what was called the "Boston Miracle". The change agent is District Attorney Decourcy Ward (Aldis Hodge), who comes from Brooklyn and forms an unlikely alliance with Jackie Rohr (Kevin Bacon), a corrupt yet venerated FBI veteran who is deeply invested in maintaining the status quo. Together they take on a family of armored car robbers from Charlestown (Jonathan Tucker, Mark O'Brien, and Jimmy Cummings) in a case that grows to encompass and eventually upend Boston’s citywide criminal justice system."

It's what you'd want a Boston based crime show to be. The acting, dialogue, and character development are all superb. There's not a lot of action but it's extremely effective when it comes. Bacon is the big draw playing a more fun Bad Lieutenant type, a terrible guy who's a blast to watch.

When does it start?

Watched the first two eps, which were impressive. Kevin Bacon has done his finest work that I've seen. Aldus Hodge is a medium weight actor, but he seems to fit the role. Great supporting cast, including recognizable veteran Kevin Chapman. And there's enough language and tawdriness to satisfy most of our crowd...

~Doc

Watched the first two eps, which were impressive. Kevin Bacon has done his finest work that I've seen. Aldus Hodge is a medium weight actor, but he seems to fit the role. Great supporting cast, including recognizable veteran Kevin Chapman. And there's enough language and tawdriness to satisfy most of our crowd...

~Doc
He has really grown on me since the series started.

I'm through 7 episodes which is current and I'm still loving it. Episode 1 was filmed in and around Boston while much of the rest is filmed in NY, but they do a great job capturing Boston with the dialogue and characters. The Ebb Tide is actually Bill Ash's on Revere Beach and I used to be a regular there when I lived down the street. I recognized it right away lol.

We've watched the first 6 eps. The final 3 come out on 8/4, 8/11, and 8/18, respectively. We'll wait for the 8th to come out, so as to watch 7 & 8 together. I don't like watching one single episode by itself.

Once I overcame the unlikelihood of an FBI agent working with a big city D.A., and that neither seem to work on anything else; with that out of the way, the show is real enjoyable. It'll be interesting to see how they shape the ending few eps in order to justify continuing the series.

~Doc

We've watched the first 6 eps. The final 3 come out on 8/4, 8/11, and 8/18, respectively. We'll wait for the 8th to come out, so as to watch 7 & 8 together. I don't like watching one single episode by itself.

Once I overcame the unlikelihood of an FBI agent working with a big city D.A., and that neither seem to work on anything else; with that out of the way, the show is real enjoyable. It'll be interesting to see how they shape the ending few eps in order to justify continuing the series.

~Doc
I understand but with the history of guys like Billy Bulger and John Connolly something like that seems much more plausible.