Movie Tab II

Tools    

At least the bad rating of Hausu made Skepsis appear out of no where
Right. Maybe if I talk about how I feel about that film he will make his way back to the forum, because I think he way overrated it.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Big guilty pleasure for me. You see any redeeming qualities?
A little bit of decent action and most all the repellent characters got killed (but not soon enough ).

At least the bad rating of Hausu made Skepsis appear out of no where
I never would have predicted it was that that was going to bring me out of hibernation.

Right. Maybe if I talk about how I feel about that film he will make his way back to the forum, because I think he way overrated it.
I will set a hungry piano upon anyone who says a bad word against that movie. If our favourites lists were 11 movies long Hausu would probably be on mine.

I will set a hungry piano upon anyone who says a bad word against that movie. If our favourites lists were 11 movies long Hausu would probably be on mine.
If you get in here and start posting again, I'll give it another go. I won't like it, but I'll give it another go.

If you get in here and start posting again, I'll give it another go. I won't like it, but I'll give it another go.
I think you definitely need some predilection towards enjoying stuff that's bizarre just for the sake of being bizarre. At least that's why I enjoy it. But yes you should give it another crack for sure.

skepsiiiiiiiiiiis!!!!!!!
'ello.

Need to start cranking out some of these big name 50's films. I enjoyed this quite a bit. I wasn't surprised to learn this is the same director who did Bicycle Thieves. The themes are very similar. The story is told well and is very affecting. I like this a bit more than Bicycle Thieves I think. The cinematography is very good compared to that film in my opinion. Good watch. Don't know if it will make my 50's list but it has a shot for sure.

"the beginning" in my opinion this film is class

I have been looking forward to this one for a couple of weeks. I really like the characters all around. The story is solid as well. Most of my problems with the film, which aren't many, are from a script standpoint. I found that many times the dialogue didn't flow naturally, like the characters were speaking the themes towards the audience rather than naturally interacting with the other characters. For instance, there is a point when Kyle first meets Lucy when he tells her as they are just walking together that he has a tendency to drink too much. He is still trying to impress this woman, there is no context for him saying it. He says it fir our benefit only. There are a few other moments like this, and it is a bit distracting. Another thing I really dislike that seems to happen often in older movies is when two people fall in love within a few hours of meeting each other. It almost immediately takes me out of the movie.

Overall I did like this film a good amount. I was just oping to love it like a few others around here have.

Time Out for Rhythm (Sidney Salkow, 1941)
+
The Manchurian Candidate (Jonathan Demme, 2004)

Peppermint Frappé (Carlos Saura, 1967)

The Extra Girl (F. Richard Jones, 1923)

Thinking it to be the stunt dog with a lion suit on, movie extra Mabel Normand allows it to roam free at the studio.
The Walking Hills (John Sturges, 1949)
-
The Future (Luis López Carrasco, 2014)

Arctic Tale (Adam Ravetch & Sarah Robertson, 2007)

The Little Girl Who Lives Down the Lane (Nicholas Gessner, 1976)

Precocious teenager Jodie Foster lives with her pet hamster Gordon in an old house but has to deal with pedophile Martin Sheen and his bullying mother Alexis Smith.
Spreadin' the Jam (Charles Walters, 1945)

Young Dr. Kildare (Harold S. Bucquet, 1938)

Captain Ron (Thom Eberhardt, 1992)

The Hallow (Corin Hardy, 2015)

A family in Ireland has their home attacked by strange creatures who almost seem to be possessed by the land – one night the father sees something through his camera.
Godspell (David Greene, 1973)

Calling Dr. Kildare (Harold S. Bucquet, 1939)
+
Androids Dream (Ion De Sosa, 2015)

Dawn of the Dead (Todd Snyder, 2004)
-

At the zombie bowling game, the truck driver picks up a spare.
Eve Knew Her Apples (Will Jason, 1945)
+
Small Fry (Angus MacLane, 2011)

The Thrill of Brazil (S. Sylvan Simon, 1946)

Dodge City (Michael Curtiz, 1939)
+

Surrounded by Dodge City’s two main baddies (Victor Jory & Bruce Bennett), upstanding Errol Flynn has to reconsider the offer for him to take the sheriff’s job.

River of No Return (Otto Preminger, 1954)

Murder on the Orient Express (Sidney Lumet, 1974)

The Hunger Games (Gary Ross, 2012)

Vampires (John Carpenter, 1998)

Sicario (Denis Villeneuve, 2015)

The Maltese Falcon (John Huston, 1941)
[RW]

In Bruges (Martin McDonagh, 2008)

Rio Grande (John Ford, 1950)

A 1 for Hunger Games? I've not seen it, but that still seems quite low.
Well an truly a "nothing film" with no real qualities or talking points to note, which I seem to be noticing more of recently. Does nothing interesting cinematically, unoriginal/predictable plot (silly ending), typical acting for these films, visually dark/dull, world was uninteresting, said nothing and didn't explore social aspect or anything etc.

Welcome to the human race...
Captain Ron (Thom Eberhardt, 1992)
I can't help but feel like I'm responsible for this.

Vampires was a bit silly, but it was still entertaining and had some certain redeeming values. I liked some of the macho monologues from James Wood which reminded me of something Tarantino would write, I enjoyed Sheryl Lee in her role too. Okay, there was nothing great, and it was a bit silly, but it was watchable and at times fun.

Tumbledown (Sam Mewshaw, 2016)

The Long Rope (William Witney, 1961)

Resurrecting the Champ (Rod Lurie, 2007)

Amistad (Steven Spielberg, 1997)
+

African slave leader Djimon Hounsou contemplates the unusual situation in which he and his people find themselves.
Sundown Trail (Robert F. Jones, 1931)

An Affair to Remember (Leo McCarey, 1957)

Broken Horses (Vidhu Vinod Chopra, 2015)

Land of Silence and Darkness (Werner Herzog, 1972)

Deafblind Fini Straubinger, who has been that way since her early teens, helps many similar people experience new things and communicates with them by tactile signing the Lorm alphabet.
Four Guns to the Border (Richard Carlson, 1954)

The Green Inferno (Eli Roth, 2013)

The Omaha Trail (Edward Buzzell, 1942)

Total Recall (Paul Verhoeven, 1990)

Construction worker Arnold Schwarzenegger goes to ReKall to have some lively vacation memories implanted, and the next thing he knows, he’s pulling a embedded bug from his nose.
Joe Dakota (Richard Bartlett, 1957)
+
Trail Guide (Lesley Selander, 1952)

Where the Heart Is (Matt Williams, 2000)

Rocky V (John G. Avildsen, 1990)

After a street fight in his old Philly neighborhood, Rocky and his family share a quiet moment.
Garfield (Pete Hewitt, 2004)

633 Squadron (Walter E. Grauman, 1964)

Moonlight on the Prairie (D. Ross Lederman, 1935)

The Most Important Thing in Life Is Not Being Dead (Pablo Martín Torrado, Marc Recuenco & Olivier Pictet, 2011)

Spanish piano tuner Emilio Gutiérrez Caba begins seeing a man in his house during his sleepless nights, but his wife claims there’s no one there.