The MoFo Top 100 of the 60s: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

I'm a little confused as to how some of these are so low as well tbh.

Not about The Sound Of Music though. Can't stand that film. For me it's like Maori Bobbins and the 70s version of Willy Wonka... I just don't get the love for it.
How though? I wish I was not the host so I could offer my unbiased perspective on what I think's going to come up on the list. I'm not just targeting this at you, but quite a few people who have been making predictions/comments.

I think the 50-25 mark is appropriate for something like Easy Rider, it's the same as Bonnie and Clyde. A cultural classic, but not an absolute favourite of many on the forum. How often do you see these films discussed, and even rarer, loved by members of the forum? The answer is not many, I would say the average rating for these type of films is around
, but the majority of people will have watched them and you'll have a handful who love them, meaning this placing is about right.

As someone who visits pretty much every important thread, every day if I can, especially the movie ones: Movie You're Watching Tonight, Rate the last Movie you saw, Movie Tab II and partakes in hall of fames, tournaments and has discussions with all sorts of members who like all sorts of films, I would like to think I have a pretty good understanding of what would come up.

Even if you used something like IMDb to quickly judge the popularity of these films with the average audience, Easy Rider is a 7.4, so there's plenty of films ahead of it on their in the 60s.

I think if you asked people like Mark, Swan, Cricket who always post their ratings of films, they would agree with me. Mark doesn't like Contempt or Pierrot Le Fou, but he knew they'd show on the list, then equally him and Cricket have been conservative about some of the movies he knows he loves but are more difficult to judge whether they'd make a list like this: Onibaba, Z etc.

I think now it gets slightly easier to predict. Just look at the recent films to come up, lets take Easy Rider for example... it received 178 and appeared on 16 lists. Pick a film you want to predict? Will it appear on more than, lets say... 12 lists? Do a handful of people on here love it? Is it often discussed with regards to the decade? How often do people discuss it on here, how do they rate it, is it in many top tens?

Of course, there are still some surprises, and the matter of rankings, but I think some people need to stop letting their own watching habits influence their thoughts and feelings on what is or is not coming up, and look at the list as what it is, a kind of democratic system where a number of factors come into play when deciding if a film will make it and where it will rank

tl;dr - just because you don't like this "foreign crap" (Sexy), doesn't mean that everybody else feels the same

Well, stuff like Easy Rider is the sort of movie that when you mention it, you get like 99% of the people who are in on the conversation say they like the movie... yet it comes in at 38th place.
If it doesn't make the Top 10, I would at least expect a movie as revered as it is to make the teens.

As for foreign crap... if I want to watch a foreign movie, I'll hit the audio track selection on my DVD menu

Yeah but then comes the important factor of ranking versus quantity. It appeared on 16 lists (the highest amount so far), but with an average position of 14. It's well liked and respected, but is it as loved as some films? A film could appear on less lists, but be more loved, giving it the edge. I don't think it's particularly well loved on this forum, not be all groups.

I'm glad I put Easy Rider at 2nd. It really didn't matter to me where I put my movies. Just tried putting things in certain spots to help them out. Obviously, Easy Rider needed all the help it could get.

Like both. Easy Rider is an one of those revolutionary classics not to be missed, and Sound of Music is my mom's favorite film so I have to like it.

Had neither on my list.

As for foreign crap... if I want to watch a foreign movie, I'll hit the audio track selection on my DVD menu
ヤングガン

Easy Rider is a good bit of fun and an iconic 60s movie. I wasn't completely enamored with it but thought it definitely deserved a spot. I had it at 22.

I have always hated The Sound of Music (and most musicals) and I'm quite thankful it didn't rank any higher than this.

My List
2. How the Grinch Stole Christmas (#101)
8. Onibaba (#62)
10. Through A Glass Darkly (#81)
18. In Cold Blood (#78)
21.The Jungle Book (#88)
22. Easy Rider (#38)
23. The Virgin Spring (#67)
25. Something That Didn't Make the One Pointers List

Yes!! Finally the fourth from my list I had Easy Rider at #24. I honestly had no idea it was hated by some here until the discussion for this countdown started. Just such a fun easy watch for me, I've always been interested in this time period so there was little chance of me not enjoying it. Nicholson gets most of the praise but to me Hopper and Fonda are just as good, it feels like a great buddy movie with a brilliant appearance from Jack. Brilliant sound tract too.

Watched bits and pieces of Sound of Music as a kid and really didn't like it. Not much intention of returning to it tbh.

Watched - 30/64
My List - 4/25

6.Army of Shadows
21.Whatever Happened To Baby Jane?
24.Easy Rider
25.From Russia With Love

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
I really didn't like Easy Rider at all.

Sound of Music is an enjoyable film and certainly a classic, but it's a bit hard for me to take it completely seriously as a grown up movie, so it didn't quite make my list.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
I'm not a Easy Rider fan either.

I do like Sound of Music. Nearly made my list but I cut it in the end.

Top 10 Prediction
1. Psycho
2. 2001
3. Once Upon a Time in the West
4. Strangelove
5. Lawrence of Arabia
6. The Good, The Bad and the Ugly
7. Persona
8. To Kill a Mockingbird
9. Midnight Cowboy
10. 8 1/2

It's a prediction. This would be my nightmare from hell nearly.

I'm not a Easy Rider fan either.

I do like Sound of Music. Nearly made my list but I cut it in the end.

Top 10 Prediction
1. Psycho
2. 2001
3. Once Upon a Time in the West
4. Strangelove
5. Lawrence of Arabia
6. The Good, The Bad and the Ugly
7. Persona
8. To Kill a Mockingbird
9. Midnight Cowboy
10. 8 1/2

It's a prediction. This would be my nightmare from hell nearly.
The only one I don't like of those is 2001 so I would be cool with it. I'm not the Mockingbird fan others are either but I like it.

Easy Rider was 24 on my list and the 2nd film to appear on the countdown.

I like Easy Rider but don't love it, some parts are fun, and I like the atmosphere but certain parts prevent it from being great for me, although its sometimes experimental style is what makes it so iconic.
Perfectly said!...and that's how I feel too. I'm glad to see Easy Rider on the list as it deserves to be. But it's not my personal favorite so didn't vote for it.

As much as I love musicals, Sound of Music is not my favorite. It has it's moments but it didn't make my list either. Still it deserves to be on the list.