MoFo All Time 100: Ideas and Suggestions

Tools    

I do think that any time something is lauded as "the best", it will naturally attract some hate. I think that's a little silly. Then again, even the idea of "the best movie" is pretty silly. Films are art. That's like trying to pick the best painting or the best song. There are so many people in the world with such different minds and emotions and experiences. You can't just bundle everyone together and decide the best of any type of art.
totally agree with that.

I know that personally, Citizen Kane deserves a spot on my own voting ballot

I would have thought it's obvious why it's better to recognise high quality films rather than low quality films. It's the same when evaluating anything in life.
It's just that "quality" is a relative metric, or rather, people can take value from many different aspects of a film.

It's not like figuring out the best brand of toothpaste--it's art.

That's not boring it's just the nature of "Top 100" lists. The fun lies in seeing which order the top players are ranked.
Watching the same list of films get slightly reordered is boring to me.

I know what you mean by having fun seeing where different films land, but to me that's just not very enjoyable. I'm not bashing you (or anyone) for getting enjoyment out of seeing where different movies rank, but it doesn't do much for me. I'll probably get a lot more fun out of reading everyone's lists than the final result.

If we were doing a list of the top 100 works of art I would include the Sistine Chapel but not the drawing my young daughter did at school, despite it being of personal importance to me. One of those is a breathtaking masterpiece of utter genius. The other, regardless of how much I might like it, is rubbish.
I was hoping you were going to say, "One of those is a breathtaking masterpiece of utter genius. The other is a chapel."

I understand what you're saying here, but there's a reason that I like Brain Damage and it's not purely because of personal sentiment. Something in the film, something about the ideas being expressed by the creator, resonate with me. It's not coming from a place of personal relationship or sentiment--but from something the creator managed to communicate. I believe that I could mount a defense of its technical elements: special effects, acting, writing, etc. These technical elements brilliantly serve the film, and they are what makes it effective. There are plenty of horror movies that use an addiction allegory, and this one stands out for a reason.

Ultimately we just have a different perspective on what the list should be and that's fine. It would be boring if everyone approached it the same way.
Agreed, this is not a "pistols at dawn!" situation.

I think an underrated film and less known is "Agora" directed by Alejandro Amenábar. Its become a "go to" film along with The Mummy (1999) for me. When I just want to watch something and truly enjoy it.. those are what I watch.. Are they my favorite? Perhaps in my top 25...

I think my list will have a mixture of different types of films as well as their enjoyment.

I do like a lot of Amenábar's films too.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Everyone's all "just put what you like" while I'm over here banging my head against a wall explaining that the possible meanings of "like" is the whole thing to begin with.

But yes, people should make up their own minds, ideally by sampling the rationales posted in this thread, thinking about what they want the list to say about us as a group, and then coming to their own conclusion.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
The problem is that there are so many movies that I love, that I could easily make a list of my 25 (or even 50) favorite movies where the order is interchangeable depending on my mood. So it's not an issue of which movies to include on my list, but of which movies to exclude from my list.

Either way, my list will be 25 of my all-time favorite movies, but the only difference is if those movies are loved by other people too.

For example, I love the movies An Affair To Remember, Arsenic and Old Lace, 12 Angry Men, Wall-E, Kiss Me Goodbye, and Seems Like Old Times. Any of these movies could easily make my top 25 list, but it's not hard to figure out which of these movies have a chance to make the countdown, and which movies wouldn't have any chance at all to make the list.

So hypothetically, should I only include my favorite movies that have a chance to make the list, or potentially have a list with only a handful of movies that make the list, and a bunch of wasted votes?

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
I'm stuck at 29.
man. It may TAKE me through December to settle these last few spots.

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear

The problem is that there are so many movies that I love, that I could easily make a list of my 25 (or even 50) favorite movies where the order is interchangeable depending on my mood. So it's not an issue of which movies to include on my list, but of which movies to exclude from my list.

Either way, my list will be 25 of my all-time favorite movies, but the only difference is if those movies are loved by other people too.

For example, I love the movies An Affair To Remember, Arsenic and Old Lace, 12 Angry Men, Wall-E, Kiss Me Goodbye, and Seems Like Old Times. Any of these movies could easily make my top 25 list, but it's not hard to figure out which of these movies have a chance to make the countdown, and which movies wouldn't have any chance at all to make the list.

So hypothetically, should I only include my favorite movies that have a chance to make the list, or potentially have a list with only a handful of movies that make the list, and a bunch of wasted votes?
Try looking at the old mofo top 100, and find out which one of your favorites are already on there and could use a boost/your vote.

If you truly love a movie there is no such thing as a 'wasted vote' imo.

If you truly love a movie there is no such thing as a 'wasted vote' imo.
Even if it's Tom Thumb (1958)?
Yes, yn, even if it's Tom Thumb (1958). How could I ever thumb my nose at that fillum? That would be tomfoolery!

(sorry)

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
If I mention movies, it would be a partial list, so I just hope to see some De Sica, Visconti, Bresson, Cassavetes, Bergman, Huston, Capra, Loach, Leigh, Kazan, Kurosawa, Teshigahara..... basically movies from all over the world, from every decade, low-budget, independent, classics, etc...

Even if it's Tom Thumb (1958)?
Yes, yn, even if it's Tom Thumb (1958). How could I ever thumb my nose at that fillum? That would be tomfoolery!
Very glad you brought this up yin - hoping to see either this one or the 2001 French version Le petit poucet at #1 on a number of ballots

Very glad you brought this up yin - hoping to see either this one or the 2001 French version Le petit poucet at #1 on a number of ballots
Is David Bowie in it? Otherwise, not happening, I'm afraid....

....of Americans.

Is David Bowie in it?
Sadly not but I believe Zowie might do an uncredited voiceover for one of the shoelaces

He is, however, 'in' Arthur et les Minimoys [Arthur and the Invisibles] so am hoping to see that one fairly high up on your ballot

Sadly not but I believe Zowie might do an uncredited voiceover for one of the shoelaces

He is, however, 'in' Arthur et les Minimoys [Arthur and the Invisibles] so am hoping to see that one fairly high up on your ballot
lol.
1. ???
2. The Hunger
3. Arthur and the Invisibles
4. The Man Who Fell to Earth
5. Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence
6. Tom Thumb
7. Christmas with the Kranks

lol.
1. ???
2. The Hunger
3. Arthur and the Invisibles
4. The Man Who Fell to Earth
5. Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence
6. Tom Thumb
7. Christmas with the Kranks
No Labyrinth?

edit: Whoops, sorry, didnae mean to give yer #1 away. I hope I've redacted that well enough