FX's Legion

Tools    

The Adventure Starts Here!
Is anyone else watching this? It seems as if it's trying to be trippy and clever, and frankly, I think it's overdoing it. It's a Marvel thing, and I admit I don't know the story's origins, but if they're trying to pull in people like me without prior knowledge of whatever universe this is, it's not working.

At least, I don't think so. I'm watching every episode hoping it'll click and not just seem like more random mind games every week. But so far it's just not cohesive enough. There isn't enough grounding in reality -- in ANY episode -- for me to keep from becoming frustrated.

I really want to like it, though, for some reason. It has its clever moments and the visuals are fascinating. But it's SO disjoint and difficult to keep up with. Just when you think you've got your grounding, it shifts on you and they're off doing some other weird scene with more weird images.

Watched every episode so far, really like it. I agree it's trippy, and that's not usually my bag, but I think it's doing this kind of show about as well as can be done. Once or twice I've worried it was devolving into chaos, but every time it did what I'd hoped it would and reestablished enough narrative footing that we're not totally adrift about what's happening, or at the mercy of being double-crossed by the writers in cheap ways. I have relative confidence that's not going to be the case going forward, too, because it feels like they have a good handle on things.

Everyone who's read the comics knows where this is going, it's a fascinating take on a villain that is typically unusable. Though I suspect a secondary villain is also involved.

Fair enough if you've read the comics. I haven't. And in nearly every episode, just as I feel I *have* gotten a grip on where they're going and what they're communicating about reality, it seems something pulls the rug out from under me.

I don't mind that happening sometimes, but it happens in every episode. At the moment I'm honestly not sure where reality is. Perhaps that's part of the point, but I'm not sure I've ever known where it is.

The thought of having to rewatch all the episodes so far, paying closer attention to everything just to figure more things out, doesn't feel high on my priority list.

(BTW, please, no unhidden spoilers from comic readers. Would like this discussion to remain about the TV series.)

“Sugar is the most important thing in my life…”
I feel similar to Lady A. After watching episode 7 I am so impressed by the characters, the absurdity and some of the most amazing production values I've seen on tv.

It just doesn't make me thirsty. Neat, but not engaging. So hard how a show checks every box on stuff I love, but it does not enthrall.

I'm glad it has been greenlit for season 2. Those Fargo promos don't help though *droooooools*.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
I feel similar to Lady A. After watching episode 7 I am so impressed by the characters, the absurdity and some of the most amazing production values I've seen on tv.

It just doesn't make me thirsty. Neat, but not engaging. So hard how a show checks every box on stuff I love, but it does not enthrall.

I'm glad it has been greenlit for season 2. Those Fargo promos don't help though *droooooools*.
I think this pretty much sums it up for me too. I love everything about it, except that it doesn't seem to demand my attention. I can't explain that, and it bugs me. I'm sure scheduling is a huge factor there.

I remember watching the premiere late one night then I was lucky enough to watch it again immediately after with a second showing. There were a few "ah ha!" moments that I could connect dots to on the second viewing that I just could not have seen otherwise. I have been hoping for similar moments with the following episodes, but so far I've already missed two and have not even been able to find repeats of the ones I have seen. At this point I feel I'm too far out of the loop to try to jump in.

I may find time to rewatch the episodes to see if they grab me on a second viewing, now that I have a bunch of episodes under my belt and might be able to connect more dots.

But, unlike other series I'm currently involved with, I'm just not chomping at the bit every week to see the latest episode.

This might just do nobody any good.
I really enjoyed it, though it lagged for me in the middle. I’m really excited to see how the show develops its style and characters. From people I know, the former was a mixed bag.

Season 2 is dropping later this year. Noah Hawley, Dan Stevens and Aubrey Plaza discussed some of the plans, primarily how David will find himself in the middle of good and bad and further expanding on the ambiguity of his character that was set up once David has firm(er) grip on his abilities.

WARNING: spoilers below
What I’m most interested in is the trio made up of Plaza, Jemaine Clement and the newly cast Navid Negahban as Amahl Farook and how he and Aubrey will portray the two sides of one villain playing off Oliver’s zaniness.

Furthermore, Ana Lily Amirpour (A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night) will direct and episode of season 2.

Bonus: cool poster!

This might just do nobody any good.
What other show has three different actors portraying a single villain and each be an absolute standout?