The Batman

Tools    

Legend in my own mind
I like the fact that Brandon Routh is now part of the DCEU.

He played Superman alongside Hoachlin's Superman in Supergirl.
Supergirl is tied to the Flash series.
I've seen footage of Ezra Miller as Barry Allen/Flash, alongside Grant Guslin as Barry Allen/Flash.

This means Routh is part of the DCEU

I think they confirmed though that everything DC is canon now.
Hell, that means we could see Superboy TV Series John Haymes Newton and Gerard Christopher as two more Superman's's's'ss, and Dean Cain reappear as an aged 1990s Superman as well

Helen Slater come back as Supergirl, which is weird considering she's been in Supergirl playing Supergirl's Earth mother... and she also played Superman's birth mother Lara El in Smallville
So messy. One of the reasons that I am just thinking of not watching any DCEU films

So messy. One of the reasons that I am just thinking of not watching any DCEU films
I feel the same way about multiverses.

I was born into DC's Earth 1 & Earth 2 scenario - I mean, I understood Earth 2 was created to introduce original but forgotten Golden Age characters to a new generation. But I wasn't unhappy when the "Crisis" occurred that merged all Earth's into one reality.

Ironically, I loved Marvel's "What If?" series and DC's "Elseworlds" but they were predicated on the idea that these were "imaginary" stories and there was still a main canon chronology that would stand as the one true home of unique characters, and that their lives were singular, so whatever happened to them was important because they were the only them that there was.

But then Marvel came out with their "Ultimates" line (the idea that alternate versions were just as canonical as any original ones, but just took place in a different reality - alternate, concurrent realities), and then DC once again broke up their singular continuity into a "multiverse."

My problem with it is it eliminates the concept of a definitive version.

It eliminates the concept that characters are unique (how can they be when there are an infinite number of slightly different copies of them?). And it makes me feel like I don't want to follow the exploits of a character when alternate versions of them are having exploits that are considered just as real as the once & supposedly one-and-only version.

It's hard to care about characters when they have a bunch of different versions - it's hard to worry if they live or die when an alternate from a different continuity can just take their place - their stories (as far as having weight in how they effect the character's future) become rather meaningless and their lives become cheap when they are just one of an infinite number of "clones".

We've gone on holiday by mistake
In a sane world it would be a generation before we see Batman again,but unfortunately someone owns it and wants the profit mill to keep churning.

Daddy Bale and mamma Hathaway passing the torch to their kids in 2035 would be sweet, with Caine coming back to play Alfred for his 21st Nolan movie in a row at 107 years old!

I see they are engaging in the usual race-changing (tokenism) of long established characters... *sigh*

(This is not a racially biased comment - I'm all for greater diversity in movies, more minority characters, creating new characters for wider diversity and / or using a great variety of established minority characters - what I am not for is altering the source material for purposes of political correctness by changing the very nature of who established characters are. Change anyone's race and they will not be the same person they had been - I think most people, whether they're in the majority or a minority would agree, race is, like it or not, part of one's overall life experience and helps develop who they are and who they become - and that concept is a part of the overall message behind some of the civil unrest we are seeing today. I don't think tokenism, quotas or political correctness that is the motive behind changing long established character's races helps in the delivering the intended message.)

I don't have any problem with Gordon's race changing, being a good cop in a corrupt force already makes him a minority, I'm actually interested in what he's gonna bring to the role.
The animated Gordon is my Gordon really, Pat Hingle didn't really get to do much, Oldman is great but him almost crapping his pants in the Tumbler just makes me chuckle, Simmons also didn't get to do much (one of the things I'm hoping is different in the Snydercut)

People will bring up Nick Fury, but the character didn't really have a huge opinionated fanbase before the MCU (it happened in the comics before Iron Man though I think?)

I actually have a bet with a friend on which will be 1st on screen, a black Bond or black Batman

People will bring up Nick Fury, but the character didn't really have a huge opinionated fanbase before the MCU (it happened in the comics before Iron Man though I think?)

Weirdly, the Sam Jackson Fury was in the comics first.
During a reboot of the comics, the artist based Fury on Jackson without Jackson's consent... Jackson's agent got in touch with him, and they then sorted out some kind of license fee so the comic could use Jackson's likeness.
It was about a year later Jackson was cast in the movies

I don't have any problem with Gordon's race changing, being a good cop in a corrupt force already makes him a minority, I'm actually interested in what he's gonna bring to the role.
The animated Gordon is my Gordon really, Pat Hingle didn't really get to do much, Oldman is great but him almost crapping his pants in the Tumbler just makes me chuckle, Simmons also didn't get to do much (one of the things I'm hoping is different in the Snydercut)

I actually have a bet with a friend on which will be 1st on screen, a black Bond or black Batman
Yeah, Pat Hingle didn't bring much to the role - not his fault - that's just the way they wrote Gordon in those movies. The Batman / Gordon relationship was downplayed in the first set of movies - he seemed more like the Golden Age comics Gordon - basically a plot device to move the story forward.

Oldman was the perfect Gordon for the "Year One" Batman.

Weirdly, the Sam Jackson Fury was in the comics first.
During a reboot of the comics, the artist based Fury on Jackson without Jackson's consent... Jackson's agent got in touch with him, and they then sorted out some kind of license fee so the comic could use Jackson's likeness.
It was about a year later Jackson was cast in the movies
Last I checked, in Marvel Comics current continuity (if they even have a standard continuity anymore - I think they call the formerly canonical continuity "Earth 616") they've written the black ("Ultimates" Samuel Jackson-looking) Fury in as "Nick Fury, Jr."

Since original white Nick Fury is now old enough to have fathered generations (kept young through some comic book means), and has been everywhere in the world, it's not infeasible that he'd have a black son... although the fact that they'd BOTH wear an eye-patch due to an eye injury is overly coincidental!

Filming halted again just a couple days after they restarted!

Patman has caught the plague.

Well his mask is kind of the opposite of the one Gotham needs right now

Well his mask is kind of the opposite of the one Gotham needs right now

You ripping off Normand?

Also I hope you put your money on Bond.

101 Favorite Movies (2019)

You ripping off Normand?

Also I hope you put your money on Bond.

Normand is the man!!! (But I saw it in memes and pics long before that, best one was a comic strip with the last panel being Bruce's funeral) surely a lil Dark Knight reference was enough of a change though?

My money IS on Bond! I remember before Craig when Colin Salmon was a possibility, then Elba was in the running, really think it won't be long until it happens

“Sugar is the most important thing in my life…”
We talking Mark Normand? I can’t remember a comedian with a more polarizing delivery.

On Topic. Is he gonna be a doctor in The Batman?
🤓

Normand is the man!!! (But I saw it in memes and pics long before that, best one was a comic strip with the last panel being Bruce's funeral) surely a lil Dark Knight reference was enough of a change though?

My money IS on Bond! I remember before Craig when Colin Salmon was a possibility, then Elba was in the running, really think it won't be long until it happens
Not to turn this into a comedian convo but hell yea Normand is the man. He is my spirit animal lol. He always hollers back on twitter or Instagram, he has liked a bunch of my stuff ha. Him and Tim Dillon are my two favorites going right now with Schulz a close 3rd. I really hope Normand and Dillon get a chance to make their mark on TV like the 90s and 2000 comedians did. But the landscape is changing, they still killers though.

I am pretty super hero'ed out. Especially Batman. The only reason I'd probably give it a gander is The Riddler is my favorite Batman baddie. If they give him justice it might be worth it. I was always bummed Nolan didn't give The Riddler a go. Seems right up his alley psychologically.

“Sugar is the most important thing in my life…”
I watched this countless times yesterday. Then I showed it to a friend (who has zero interest in comic movies) and she proceeded to want to watch it about 5 more times.

Of all the stuff that is great, I can’t get over how Catwoman finally feels right. Like how perfect she is in the animated films.

Side note: Those nostalgia feels from that Flash teaser was genius. Sent me from no interest in that movie to “yes, please”. DC/WB killed it yesterday. Even Black Adam looks like the role I’ve been waiting to see the Rock in for his entire career.

I guess they're going with the same piss-hue for Gotham as Begins.