A scary thing happened on the way to the Movie Forums - Horrorcrammers

Tools    

Man I keep forgetting this even exists. I haven't heard anything good but I still intend to watch it one of these days, just cause I'm loyal that way.
There's a pretty good Baba Yaga scene and Milla Jovovich is fun. Not a great movie and reeks of obvious studio interference, but with my extremely lowered expectations I didn't mind it.

I watched Mohawk. A couple streaming services labeled this as horror but it’s more of a cat and mouse thriller. In this, Americans are portrayed as the villains while Native Americans and the British are heroes during the War of 1812, which I’ve never seen before. It makes do with its modest budget and mostly succeeds in what it’s trying to do.

I also watched Tremors Shrieker Island. My undying love for the first film means I’m destined to watch as many terrible sequels as they churn out. This one actually felt like it had a budget and a vision after the dreadful ****ing ice movie that was the last one. Otherwise it’s more of the same.

I also watched Tremors Shrieker Island. My undying love for the first film means I’m destined to watch as many terrible sequels as they churn out. This one actually felt like it had a budget and a vision after the dreadful ****ing ice movie that was the last one. Otherwise it’s more of the same.
Woah, there's a new Tremors movie out? I'm like you, I've seen every single one. Even the Jamie Kennedy ones. As long as Michael Gross is in it I'll keep watching.

Victim of The Night
I just read a piece of research that suggested Sinister is ‘objectively’ the scariest film of all time, because it elicited the strongest physiological response. It’s said to be on account of the jump scares and the soundtrack with heavy beats. I do remember it being reasonably disturbing, if average in terms of narrative. Still, rather odd, huh?
That's very funny because, when I panned that film over on the Corrierino last year, one of my issues was actually how it had been built up as this incredibly scary movie and how it failed to deliver on that.
And people said, "Well where did you hear that? I don't remember hearing that so that's not a fair point." And here you are.
Yes, it is one of the jump-scare heaviest horror movies I've seen with the music stabs and all, but that didn't amount to much for me and it certainly didn't scare me. Especially with the villain looking like somebody from Slipknot.

Sinister would have been a lot better if it hadn't so aggressively **** its bed at the end.

And to think that people used to complain about Argento's landings.

Rewatched this one over the summer. Roeg is an unsung master.

I think you’re both right, @Jinnistan and @Wooley, I seem to remember it was way overhyped - it was probably the only time I’ve seen the R-rating actually enforced, IDs and all. I do feel that with horror you do very rarely get films that are both hyped and deliver. Hereditary was being sold as the ‘scariest’ film to date, and few would argue that it’s not at least creepy and well-constructed, narrative-wise.

Rewatched this one over the summer. Roeg is an unsung master.
In regards to Don't Look Now, I've seen it now maybe four or five times, and I don't think I've ever once had the exact same impression of it. It has the good taste to not latch itself onto any one emotional state. It seems to shape shift along with my own personal moods, even while it always remains objectively the same film.

It's exciting to see such an influx of fresh blood, especially with so many of you being horror fans. A shame none of you were here when we redid our MoFo Horror Countdown last year.
Many of us are still traumatized with our efforts at our RT 100 Greatest Films and 100 Greatest Horror threads being flushed down the toilet. And even with Rockatansky unearthing the latter at Corrie, now being flushed twice.

But I'd rather light a candle than curse the darkness. Even though there's a number of quibbles I personally have with the final results, for posterity, and comparison, here's the final tally of our Horror list:

100. Trick 'r' Treat
99. Interview with the Vampire
98. Cemetery Man
97. Tremors
96-95 (tie). Onibaba/Ghostbusters
94. Possession
93. Ringu
92. Zombieland
91. The Vanishing (88)
90. The Host
89. The Ring (02)
88-87 (tie) Lake Mungo/Martin
86. The Abominable Dr. Phibes
85. The Invisible Man (33)
84. Drag Me To Hell
83-82 (tie) Misery/The Sixth Sense
81. Gremlins
80. The Cabin in the Woods
79. [REC]
78. Black Sunday (60)
77. The Thing From Another World
76-75 (tie) King Kong (33)/Dawn of the Dead (04)
74-72 (tie) The Babadook/Fright Night (85)/Videodrome
71. Creepshow
70. Haxan
69-68 (tie). The Devil's Backbone/Nosferatu (79)
67. Curse of the Demon
66. Repulsion
65. Army of Darkness
64. House (77)
63. Predator
62. I Walked with a Zombie
61. The Lost Boys
60. Triangle
59. Brain Dead (Dead Alive)
58. Christine
57. Godzilla (54)
56. The Fog (80)
55. Cat People (42)
54. Don't Look Now
53. Candyman
52. Aliens
51. From Dusk Till Dawn
50. Dracula (31)
49. Kwaidan
48. Horror of Dracula
47. Vampyr
46. Peeping Tom
45. Hellraiser
44. Se7en
43. The Innocents (60)
42. The Phantom of the Opera (25)
41. The Blair Witch Project
40. Carrie (76)
39. The Haunting (63)
38. The Descent
37. The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari
36. Invasion of the Body Snatchers (56)
35. The Bride of Frankenstein
34. The Omen (76)
33. The Wicker Man (73)
32. The Birds
31. Scream
30. Re-animator
29. Invasion of the Body Snatchers (78)
28. Eyes Without a Face
27. The Return of the Living Dead
26. Black Christmas (74)
25. The Evil Dead
24. 28 Days Later
23. Suspiria (77)
22. Freaks
21. Let the Right One In
20. Shaun of the Dead
19. Poltergeist (82)
18. Evil Dead II
17. Nosferatu (22)
16. A Nightmare on Elm Street (84)
15. Dawn of the Dead (78)
14. The Fly (86)
13. Rosemary's Baby
12. Frankenstein (31)
11. An American Werewolf in London
10. The Silence of the Lambs
9. The Texas Chain Saw Massacre
8. Night of the Living Dead (68)
7. The Shining
6. Halloween (78)
5. Jaws
4. The Exorcist
3. The Thing (82)
2. Psycho (60)
1. Alien

I am happy to report that I saved the Rotten Tomatoes 100 Greatest Films list. I even saved the days on which they were posted! Thankfully, I didn't save my odd and pretentious thoughts on Apocalypse Now, which make mention of the Blue-Footed booby for some reason (don't ask).

While this is off-topic, here's the list anyway:

~~ DAY THREE ~~

1. 2001: A Space Odyssey (Stanley Kubrick, 1968)
2. Apocalypse Now (Francis Ford Coppola, 1979)
3. The Godfather (Francis Ford Coppola, 1972)
4. Rear Window (Alfred Hitchcock, 1954)
5. Mulholland Dr. (David Lynch, 2001)
6. Raiders of the Lost Ark (Steven Spielberg, 1981)
7. Jaws (Steven Spielberg, 1975)
8. Taxi Driver (Martin Scorsese, 1976)
9. The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly (Sergio Leone, 1966)
10. Casablanca (Michael Curtiz, 1942)

11. Alien (Ridley Scott, 1979)
12. Goodfellas (Martin Scorsese, 1976)
13. Vertigo (Alfred Hitchcock, 1958)
14. The Third Man (Carol Reed, 1949)
15. Lawrence of Arabia (David Lean, 1962)
16. The Fellowship of the Ring (Peter Jackson, 2001)
17. There Will Be Blood (Paul Thomas Anderson, 2007)
18. Pulp Fiction (Quentin Tarantino, 1994)
19. Psycho (Alfred Hitchcock, 1960)
20. The Shining (Stanley Kubrick, 1980)

~~ DAY TWO ~~

21. Dr. Strangelove (Stanley Kubrick, 1964)
22. Blade Runner (Ridley Scott, 1982)
23. A Clockwork Orange (Stanley Kubrick, 1971)
24. The Empire Strikes Back (Irvin Kershner, 1980)
25. The Godfather Part II (Francis Ford Coppola, 1974)
26. Citizen Kane (Orson Welles, 1941)
27. Fargo (The Coen Brothers, 1996)
28. 12 Angry Men (Sidney Lumet, 1957)
29. Stalker (Andrei Tarkovsky, 1979)
30. The Seven Samurai (Akira Kurosawa, 1954)

31. The Shawshank Redemption (Frank Darabont, 1994)
32. No Country for Old Men (The Coen Brothers, 2007)
33. Back to the Future (Robert Zemeckis, 1985)
34. 8 1/2 (Federico Fellini, 1963)
35. The Seventh Seal (Ingmar Bergman, 1957)
36. The Big Lebowski (The Coen Brothers, 1997)
37. The Passion of Joan of Arc (Carl Theodor Dreyer, 1928)
38. Schindler's List (Steven Spielberg, 1993)
39. Once Upon a Time in the West (Sergio Leone, 1968)
40. The Assassination of Jesse James... (Andrew Dominik, 2007)

41. Chinatown (Roman Polanski, 1974)
42. Terminator 2: Judgment Day (James Cameron, 1991)
43. The Thing (John Carpenter, 1982)
44. Monty Python and the Holy Grail (Jones & Gilliam, 1975)
45. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (Michel Gondry, 2004)
46. City Lights (Charles Chaplin, 1931)
47. On the Waterfront (Elia Kazan, 1954)
48. Persona (Ingmar Bergman, 1966)
49. The Silence of the Lambs (Jonathan Demme, 1991)
50. Sunset Blvd. (Billy Wilder, 1950)

~~ DAY ONE ~~

51. Memento (Christopher Nolan, 2000)
52. Raging Bull (Martin Scorsese, 1980)
53. L. A. Confidential (Curtis Hanson, 1997)
54. Rashomon (Akira Kurosawa, 1950)
55. Blue Velvet (David Lynch, 1986)
56. Eyes Wide Shut (Stanley Kubrick, 1999)
57. Seven (David Fincher, 1995)
58. The Tree of Life (Terrence Malick, 2011)
59. Pan's Labyrinth (Guillermo del Toro, 2006)
60. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (Milos Forman, 1975)

61. Paris, Texas (Wim Wenders, 1984)
62. M (Fritz Lang, 1931)
63. Aguirre the Wrath of God (Werner Herzog, 1972)
64. Aliens (James Cameron, 1986)
65. Children of Men (Alfonso Cuaron, 2006)
66. Shaun of the Dead (Edgar Wright, 2004)
67. Boogie Nights (Paul Thomas Anderson, 1997)
68. Drive (Nicolas Winding Refn, 2011)
69. Barry Lyndon (Stanley Kubrick, 1975)
70. Heat (Michael Mann, 1995)

71. The Wizard of Oz (Victor Fleming, 1939)
72. Die Hard (John McTiernan, 1988)
73. F for Fake (Orson Welles, 1973)
74. The Matrix (The Wachowskis, 1999)
75. The Graduate (Mike Nichols, 1975)

76. Once Upon a Time in America (Sergio Leone, 1984)
77. Amadeus (Milos Forman, 1984)
78. The Thin Red Line (Terrence Malick, 1998)
79. Double Indemnity (Billy Wilder, 1944)
80. Bicycle Thieves (Vittorio de Sica, 1948)

81. Fight Club (David Fincher, 1999)
82. Sunrise (F. W. Murnau, 1927)
83. La Dolce Vita (Federico Fellini, 1960)
84. Touch of Evil (Orson Welles, 1958)
85. American Beauty (Sam Mendes, 1999)
86. Days of Heaven (Terrence Malick, 1978))
87. Brazil (Terry Gilliam, 1984)
88. Network (Sidney Lumet, 1976)
89. The Dark Knight (Christopher Nolan, 2008)
90. Amelie (Jean-Pierre Jeunet, 2001)

91. Requiem for a Dream (Darren Aronofsky, 2000)
92. Star Wars (George Lucas, 1977)
93. Ikiru (Akira Kurosawa, 1952)
94a. Annie Hall (Woody Allen, 1977)
94b. Spirited Away (Hiyao Miyazaki, 2001)
96. Metropolis (Fritz Lang, 1927)
97. Unforgiven (Clint Eastwood, 1992)
98. Rosemary's Baby (Roman Polanski, 1968)
99. Three Colors: Red (Kyrzysztof Kieslowski, 1994)
100. The Red Shoes (Powell & Pressburger, 1948)

Victim of The Night
Yeah, same here. I would say the same about many of those "recent" horror thrillers like The Conjuring and Insidious, which I usually get mixed up.
I actually thought both of those films were significantly better than Sinister, which was a real disappointment to me.

Welcome to the human race...
Only just checked this thread and realised it was being used for general horror purposes, so I guess I'll just drop a quick run-down on everything I've seen this October. Blue for new, red for repeats...

Book of Shadows: Blair Witch 2 - On some level, I have to respect the audacity of following up a groundbreaking film with an aggressively conventional sequel, but that doesn't mean it's good.

C.H.U.D. - Not without its low-rent charm (especially the '80s New York location shooting), but I didn't care for it.

Cube 2: Hypercube - I'm kind of a sucker for how this messes around with time and space, but beyond that it's a pale imitation of its predecessor.

The Descent - On the one hand, effective use of claustrophobia and monsters. On the other, pretty unsatisfying on a plot/character level. I'm calling it a wash.

The Devil's Candy - You'd think it would be easy to mash up metal with horror, and yet...

Eaten Alive - I know I shouldn't expect every Hooper film to match TCSM but man, when he misses, he misses.

Evil Dead II - "Groovy."

Exorcist II: The Heretic As far as "worst movies ever" go, you can do much worse. Still not much to recommend about it, though.

The Fog (2005) - Easily the worst Carpenter remake to date. At least when Rob Zombie changed up Halloween, he did it with purpose.

The Fury - DePalma overextends himself by trying to mash up Carrie with more Hitchcockian material. Not enough psychic explosions.

Galaxy of Terror - Corman-produced Alien knock-off. At least it's not boring.

The Girl With All The Gifts - The Last of Us? Never heard of it. Still novel enough.

The New Mutants - Maybe there's a way to make a superhero-themed horror movie that works, but this ain't it.

Nightmare Beach - Very Italian, for better and for worse.

A Nightmare on Elm Street (2010) - Dour, ugly, and unimaginative. The Halloween remake is looking better all the time.

Petey Wheatstraw - Dolemite goes to hell and meets the devil. Hilarity ensues (if not necessarily fear).

Saw II - An excellent reminder why I wasn't bothering to keep up with this franchise.

Shadow of the Vampire - Huh, turns out that high concept isn't that interesting. Still gets by on performances, though.

The Texas Chain Saw Massacre - Hooper was always the best with the saw.

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 - Maybe one of the best "part two" movies in horror. Also has a chainsaw duel 32 years before Mandy.

Thinner - Exists at that weird spot where the threat is at once too ridiculous to take seriously and too serious to laugh at, so...*shrug*

When A Stranger Calls (1976) - Very surprised that the whole movie does not take place inside the house, which is a shame because that's the only good part of the movie.

Wishmaster - Reads like off-brand Hellraiser with its demonic villain and penchant for gore, but at least it knows how to have fun with itself.

Wishmaster 2: Evil Never Dies - A tangibly inferior sequel in just about every way, though not without its moments.

Victim of The Night
Sinister would have been a lot better if it hadn't so aggressively **** its bed at the end.

And to think that people used to complain about Argento's landings.
Argento lands?

In regards to Don't Look Now, I've seen it now maybe four or five times, and I don't think I've ever once had the exact same impression of it. It has the good taste to not latch itself onto any one emotional state. It seems to shape shift along with my own personal moods, even while it always remains objectively the same film.
You've mentioned the editing, and Roeg has both a signature editing style and one of the most experimental, and I agree with admiring the way the quick cuts in this film directly reflect the psychological repression of trauma.

(Also, the rumor is that it was the love scene here which made Warren Beatty break-up wih Julie Christie. Why is it always the most promiscuous men who are also the most jealous?)

I actually thought both of those films were significantly better than Sinister, which was a real disappointment to me.
I'm actually questioning now if I ever saw The Conjuring. It's all a blur.