A Song For July

Tools    

r12 nom:

kohei tanaka - to the grandline (whitebeard's last speech)

I was actually thinking about this yesterday. It lead me to thinking about the Mt. Rushmore of female country artists. I got to three very easily, but the fourth spot I wasn't sure who to go with. You got Patsy Cline, Loretta Lynn, and you have Tammy Wynette as no-brainers to me. The fourth spot is a lot harder to me. I was thinking maybe Tanya Tucker, but I'm not sure. Who you got?

EDIT: OMG, I forgot about Dolly Parton... never mind. Unless you have a different answer.
Patsy, Loretta, Tammy and Dolly would certainly be the consensus. Admittedly I've never listened to much Wynette outside of her biggest hits, so personally I'd probably go with Connie Smith or Tanya Tucker as my fourth choice.

I'm still waiting for you to introduce me to them, future uncle-in-law.

I'm still waiting for you to introduce me to them, future uncle-in-law.
Did they not hook up with you? I distinctly remember showing them your picture and telling them how to get in touch

Round 11

1. Robyn Ludwick - Texas Jesus
(Just stumbled across this song and artist a couple days ago. Even though it was new to me, those familiar Texan ingredients made it seem like I'd just dusted off a classic that I'd simply forgotten about and I found myself singing along on the very first listen. Besides her voice that sounds like a shot of whiskey that's been sweating on a hot bar all afternoon, what's stood out to me so far from the few songs I've listened to is the songwriting that highlights the lowlifes -- junkies, prostitutes, etc. -- wandering the gutter in search of the same universal comforts and truths that you'll find in many a country song, except here there's an unapologetic dearth of absolution or sanitation.)

2. Nirvana - Where Did You Sleep Last Night
(Excellent cover, with Cobain ripping a traditional song from decades prior into the present, then paying his respects before taking ownership of the song by tearing into it with the anguish of a scalded dog. I like and respect Nirvana, but I've never worshiped them, and I've never sat and watched this legendary unplugged set from start to finish, so this is new to me.)

3. Michael Jackson - Dirty Diana
(I remember being as young as 3 or 4 and rocking out to this song on cassette. This is about as hard as the soft MJ was capable of being.)

4. Toe - Goodbye (drum cover)
(Very nice. Drum solos can often be a bit dull, but I was mesmerized by this showcase of skill. Not overly showy like rock/metal drum solos, but still just as impressive.)

5. Factice Factory - Ignite
(Cold and disconcerting, but in a good way. Makes me feel like I'm trapped inside an industrial nightmare. Especially dig the last 90 seconds.)

6. Steely Dan - Do It Again
(A groovy classic.)

7. Don Williams - Desperately
(A soothing finish to a strong round of songs.)

8. Dio - Rock 'N' Roll Children
(I like Dio, yet I rarely listen to him -- maybe because he fits into an awkward in-between that rarely suits my mood. His cheesy theatricality means I usually look elsewhere if I want to really rock out, but he's also a tad too heavy if I want something melodious.)

9. Alvvays - Next of Kin
(Like a cool summer breeze. Particularly like the juxtaposition of sad, lonely lyrics with a beach-friendly, new-wave-inspired indie pop sound.)

10. Broadcast - Come On Let's Go
(Oddly unnerving, like a soundtrack for alienation. I liked it, but it also bummed me out.)

11. Kid Creole & the Coconuts - Annie, I'm Not Your Daddy
(Not bad, just not really feeling the tropical vibe at the moment.)

1. Broadcast - Come on Let's Go
Incredibly good band, great song. Too bad they're no more because Trish died. Swine flu.

Alvvays - Next of Kin
I like it!

Factice Factory - Ignite
Pretty cool. I'd listen to this again.

Steely Dan - Do It Again
I quite like the odd Steely Dan song and this is one of them.

Nirvana - Where Did You Sleep Last Night
Aww Kurt!!

toe - goodbye (drum cover)

Dio - Rock 'N' Roll Children

Michael Jackson - Dirty Diana

Kid Creole & The Coconuts - Annie, I'm Not Your Daddy

Don Williams - Desperately

Robyn Ludwick - Texas Jesus

Nirvana - Where Did You Sleep Last Night
Robyn Ludwick - Texas Jesus
Dio - Rock 'N' Roll Children § (alt link if needed)
Broadcast - Come on Let's Go
Factice Factory - Ignite
Michael Jackson - Dirty Diana
toe - goodbye (drum cover)
Alvvays - Next of Kin
Steely Dan - Do It Again
Don Williams - Desperately
Kid Creole & The Coconuts - Annie, I'm Not Your Daddy

nom: Freddie Mercury - Living On My Own

1. Michael Jackson
2. Nirvana
3. Factice Factory
4. Steely Dan
5. Robyn Ludwick
6. Don Williams
7. Broadcast
8. Toe
9. Dio
10. Alvvays
11. Kid Creole & The Coconuts

Let the night air cool you off
1. Nirvana - Where Did You Sleep Last Night
- I listened to Nirvana for the first time because a girl I had a crush on told me they were good. I still listen to Nirvana and that girl didn't feel the same way about me as I did her. I grew my hair out, stopped washing it, starting doing heroin, and got murdered by Courtney Love.

2. Michael Jackson - Dirty Diana
- MJ goes in on this one. This might be my favorite song of his.

3. Alvvays - Next of Kin
- I've never been very hip and as such I kind of miss out on all the "cool" indie music as it's happening, so I also kinda miss out on what bands influence other bands and artists, so when I say Alvvays remind me of Best Coast, I don't know if they share inspiration or if Best Coast inspired Alvvays at all. Best Coast has a lazier sound, in a good way, but Alvvays is lyrically more interesting.

4. Don Williams - Desperately
- A good, solid country song is never something I'll be upset about.

5. Robyn Ludwick - Texas Jesus
- Under the table jerkings make me think of the scene in It's Always Sunny where The Snail mashes the dude's wiener while everybody is at dinner. I wanna listen to her a few more times to and maybe some other tracks to gauge how much I like her. I see seeds that could really grow on me, but I'm not absolutely blown away yet.

6. Dio - Rock 'N' Roll Children
- I've always liked Dio. I've never liked him enough to listen to his music on my own. That probably sounds like I'm being funny, but I mean both things. He's good, he's engaging, but I've never thought of him as the music version of an essential business. This clocks in at four-and-a-half minutes, so under the five minute threshold these other tracks have been using to take a toll on me. "It was starting to rain on the night they cried forever" is the greatest line in the history of music outside of Mozart's song about licking ass.

7. Steely Dan - Do It Again
- I've never really been into Steely Dan, so I was confused as to why I recognized this song. Then it hit me, Waylon freaking Jennings covered this song. It's an alright song. I think it's just the mood I'm in, but I'm not really liking the trend of these longer songs.

8. Broadcast - Come on Let's Go
- I should like this more. Reading that the lead singer died of Swine Flu back in 2011 is a bummer.

9. Factice Factory - Ignite
- The narrator reminds me of Noel Fielding. I wasn't really in the mood for five-and-a-half minutes to be honest.

10. Kid Creole & The Coconuts - Annie, I'm Not Your Daddy
- I kinda like it, kinda hate it. The chorus is inspired.

11. toe - goodbye (drum cover)
- She's really talented, but I don't know that drum covers are really my thing. Also, third straight song clocking in over five minutes, this one pretty close to six. I'm praying for some 2-3 minute diddies.

All voted again

1st - Factice Factory - Ignite (81 pts)

2nd - Steely Dan - Do It Again (79 pts)
3rd - Nirvana - Where Did You Sleep Last Night (76 pts)
4th - Alvvays - Next of Kin (74 pts)
5th - Broadcast - Come on Let's Go (73 pts)
6th - Robyn Ludwick - Texas Jesus (68 pts)
7th - Michael Jackson - Dirty Diana (66 pts)
8th - Dio - Rock 'N' Roll Children (64 pts)
9th - toe - goodbye (drum cover) (57 pts)
10th - Don Williams - Desperately (56 pts)
11th - Kid Creole & The Coconuts - Annie, I'm Not Your Daddy (32 pts)

Congratulations to whoever nominated that one

Round twelve up in about an hour....