Virgin Hall of Fame

Tools    

I should have said I watched The Director's Cut, has anybody seen both versions? thoughts? and what are the differences?
Director's Cut usually refers to the International (longer) version.
Differences between the two versions

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
THANKS @Chypmunk for the link for the breakdown on differences!!

The "Longer/European" Version which we call the "Director's Cut" has additional scenes that really adds to the movie and the relationship between Mathilda and Leon. For the longest time I only knew the theatrical cut and having scene the extra scenes I truly prefer them and always watch it in that format.

I won't dance. Don't ask me...
. First time I watched it, I remember coming away unimpressed.
That is also my expierence, but I was very young, when I watched it for the first time. The second time was couple years later and then I've felt in love with it

You've got red on you!

Léon: The Professional (1994)

I watched this last night! Very interesting and very very different type of movie. I thought young Natalie Portman did an amazing job of acting. I really liked her in V for Vendetta but had never seen her when she was a kid actor. And could she act up a storm or what.

Mathilda was a great character too. I really liked Jean Reno also, last time I seen him was in The Big Blue, I didn't like that movie but I thought he was pretty good in it.

Léon: The Professional was well made movie and looked great, even the soundtrack was very efficient. The subject matter is not general what I would watch but I have to say the film makers did a fine job with the movie.
I plan on watching Leon tonight! I'm looking forward to it since I haven't seen it in a long time. CR, if you ever want to see another movie with a younger Natalie Portman, check out Beautiful Girls. She plays a great character and it's a nice little film.

I plan on watching Leon tonight! I'm looking forward to it since I haven't seen it in a long time. CR, if you ever want to see another movie with a younger Natalie Portman, check out Beautiful Girls. She plays a great character and it's a nice little film.
I've seen Beautiful Girls, and you're right, it's definitely worth watching.

ill guest review The Return if you'll let me

I should have said I watched The Director's Cut, has anybody seen both versions?
I haven't seen longer version, but short one is perfect for me. I took a look on the article posted by Ch

movies can be okay...
The Graduate (1967)

"The Graduate" follows Benjamin, a graduate, who's a little worried about his future. He's sick of being trapped in a materialistic bubble, and strives to be different from what his folks planned for him to be. Being in my senior year myself, I naturally gravitated towards this kind of theme, and totally understood where Hoffman's character was coming from. The feeling of wanting to do something substantial but not knowing exactly what, is something that most of us will go through at some point of our lives.

Benjamin's struggles lead him to an encounter with a friend of his parents, and things escalate between them to the point of having an affair with each other. We are also introduced to the daughter of said friend, and things also escalate between her and Ben to the point of falling in love with each other. So now, our main character is in a sticky situation, where he's basically been sleeping with the mother of the girl he became to love. Yikes!

I do think director Mike Nichols, solely elevated the given material, his approach definitely differentiates the film from the other cheesy flicks tackling similar themes, and don't get me wrong, I do think this film can be incredibly cheesy (it's a 60's film after all...), but it does enough to make me disregard that, not to mention, I think the film recognises its own goofiness at points, and subtly pokes fun at it.

There's a lot of clever symbolism and imagery that visually provides information about Benjamin's state of mind, and I really liked that. And while everyone seems to be going on about Dustin Hoffman's performance, I was quite underwhelmed by him, I thought he was fantastic in "All the President's Men", but here, he was quite hit or miss. It is the cinematography what I was most impressed by, I seriously didn't expect the film to look as stunning as it did. The song choices are pretty good as well, I'm even listening to "Sound of Silence" while typing all of this.

Now for the ending, I of course thought it was great, but I saw it coming, because it was already hidden and repressed in my memory, so as soon as I saw the sight of Katharine Ross in a wedding dress, it emerged, thus ruining the remaining minutes of the film, so thank you pop culture for not letting me experience anything as it was originally intended...I'm only mentioning this due to how often I fall victim of having a film spoiled, in the middle of watching it, because of repressed pop culture references popping out in my head, not only is it annoying, but also quite discouraging.

Anyway, "The Graduate" was pretty good, and I'm glad I finally watched it, so thank you @Stirchley for nominating it.
"A film has to be a dialogue, not a monologue — a dialogue to provoke in the viewer his own thoughts, his own feelings. And if a film is a dialogue, then it’s a good film; if it’s not a dialogue, it’s a bad film."
- Michael "Gloomy Old Fart" Haneke

I'm only mentioning this due to how often I fall victim of having a film spoiled, in the middle of watching it, because of repressed pop culture references popping out in my head, not only is it annoying, but also quite discouraging.
Can You imagine I've stoped to watch trailers and movie commercial, because of that.

Great review
I need to rewatch this movie

movies can be okay...
Can You imagine I've stoped to watch trailers and movie commercial, because of that.

Great review
I need to rewatch this movie
I never even watch trailers, but the problem still haunts me.
It's quite hard for me to have the desire of going back and watching "classics", when they're constantly referenced everywhere in all sorts of media, to the point where there will be no element of surprise, once one does eventually get to viewing the film.
As for "The Graduate", it's literally referenced in almost all of the romantic comedies I've seen, I can't remember the name, but there's even a film out there that downright spoils the ending. I guess it's my fault for not being born fast enough

Let us know if you watch the International cut or the U.S. version. Thanks for telling me about Beautiful Girls seeing who Doc agrees, I've added it to my watch list, sounds good

ill guest review The Return if you'll let me
Of course you can You can talk about the movies, write a review and or even watch them all. It's an open thread so everyone is welcomed.

The Graduate (1967)
"The Graduate" was pretty good, and I'm glad I finally watched it, so thank you Stirchley for nominating it.
Looks like a good review there and glad you liked the movie! I'm like you in that I've never seen The Graduate, so I'm excited to watch it for the first time

I haven't read your review yet, but I will as soon as I watch the movie.

The Return (2003)

The father of two boys come up after few years of absence. Boys don't remember him almost at all, so he's a stranger to them, but on the other hand they couldn't wait for his return. Father, to establish relationship with sons, takes them to the island for a fishing.

Description above could suggest that the Return is a copy of simple family life, if not undefined tension accompanies to viewers. The father is a totally stranger man, who incroaches in home, upbringing and whole life of boys.

Zwiagincew shows, how much complicated is relation between fathers and children. Return of the father could be symbolic - sometimes fathers don't get involved in raising children, until they rich some age. As a viewer, I was afraid for the sons, who IMO went for a trip with a random man. It doesn't help that his character is strict and lowering.
I think the death of the father is also symbolic - indicate coming of age of boys and shows the difference in between exerting love by mothers and fathers.

Oh, and one thing more... In the end is the slideshow of pictures of all family, where all look so happy. Maybe we forget about poor things from our childhood and remember only good one?

Cool! That's now 3 reviews so far we're off to a good start.

Can someone check the movie links on the first post, they should go directly to the member's review.
It's working.

Thanks!

So anytime some one watches a movie and then wants to go back and read what other members have wrote about it, just go to the 1st post and click on the links.

Oh and there's a running count on the number of movies watched, like this: 1/5

movies can be okay...
Oh and there's a running count on the number of movies watched, like this: 1/5
I thought there were 6 films, or are we not supposed to watch our own nominations ?