Serious questions of college

Tools    

I wipe my ass with your feelings
I know a lot of people are educated and most likely went to college. This is where you can help and clue me in. I'm so confused as to what is happening and what not. I'd like to achieve an MBA, but I know thats close to impossible for me. Argh.

Anyways, I have some questions. Some might be single line questions and others might be pargraphs...who knows, I'm going to shoot them out when they come to mind and stuff. I'm sure I'll come back and check on this thread as well. They might sound ignorant, but I really don't care....I just need answers.

What are the "levels" of degrees you can earn and how many years do you need to put in?

What's an ivy league school?

What are the factors involved in getting into a college? (If you can try to put them into a percentange such as gpa: x% sat: y% and what not)

What's the diff between undergraduate and graduate?

Also the following questions are aimed towards the MBA perspective of things...

How long does does it take to earn a MBA?

What do you need to achieve before you can get your MBA? (classes wise and other degrees)

Those are it for now...I'm sure I'll be popping more sooner or later.

Can't you find this out at school? I can't really help as I went to uni as a mature age student.

What's the nicest way to say this?

My counselor is a bitch.

Lookup the website for whatever college you are interested in and if you can't find the information you need there call their admissions office. They'll point you in the right direction.

The 4 basic levels of degrees that come to mind are Associate (2 year degree), Bachelor (4 year degree), Masters (graduate school), and Doctorate (after masters).

I've been considering going back to school for my masters, but hate school and just can't bring myself to do it. I have heard, however, from some pretty reliable people that it's actually EASIER to get a masters degree than a bachelors b/c in general you are only taking classes you are interested in and in theory you should be relatively knowledgeable about the subject matter.

All school's use a different formula for admission standards. In general, if you have a decent GPA and ACT/SAT scores you should be fin, depending on the 'prestige' of the school you're looking at. One thing I will mention is that unless you want to be a doctor or a lawyer nobody will really care where you went to school down the road... and even then it's more important where you do your graduate work. BTW, undergraduate is the 4 years it takes to get your bachelors degree while graduate work is the time you put in for your masters and doctoral degrees.

I've known people who have gotten their MBA in as short a time as two years, others have taken 8... It just depends how much time you can devote to taking classes. Again, the best thing to do is lookup the admission standards for whatever school you're interested in.

Sorry for the rambling post... but I hope it helps!

My Top 100 favorite movies.

Go to another counselor or administrator at the school if you don't like the one you have. You're bound to find somebody you like. It's a tough decision whether to go for your MBA, you should be well informed.

Thanks fellas/fellies.

I've gone to my counselor...and she's an ack. The next time she drives me away I'm going to throw a chair at her.

Originally Posted by Godsend
Main Entry: Ivy League
Function: adjective
1 : of, relating to, or characteristic of a group of long-established eastern U.S. colleges widely regarded as high in scholastic and social prestige

These are all private colleges on the east coast that bear such names like Harvard, Princeton, and Yale. They all are incredibly good schools and are usually the valedictorians first choice. I know a ('of a' mostly) few people at Harvard and I know of even more people trying to get into the other schools.

Ivy leagues are great schools, but they are extraordinarily selective and the compettition is fierce. I used to be pretty determined to go to one, but I've learned of several other great schools that will serve me just as well.

College acceptance relies on sevral factors. I am really only familiar with the California education system, but I'll try to make this universal. Visiting different school websites is important. All college websites should and will have a list of requirements. The spoken, but mostly un-spoken rules for an Ivy league are a nearly imppecable school record, a GPA of over 4.0, a high SAT (1475-1600) or ACT (34-36 --I think) score, great community service and extra cirricular activity records. This is where some kids miss the mark. It's not the fact they aren't doing any, far from it in fact. they're too many and in a short period of time. This goes for all colleges; they value a potential student who has participated in a community service and/or extra cirricular activity for an extended period of time and has excelled in that area. By extened I mean years and years and years and by excell I mean very nice reccomendation letters, awards (be it athletic or community) and a strong, blatant passsion on your part.

I have more but I don't have any of my college notes right now and I would rather give you good sound advice (of you can call it that) rather than my own ramblings. I have a few great books at home that I'll look up the titles and reccomend to you.
Infinitely suffering thing.
T.S Eliot, "Preludes"

College - If it's something you truly like all of those things people have posted, especially OG-'s link, will be helpful. If you want to be cool like me for the first few years don't worry about all that ish'. Classes are designed not be learned in, but to recover from hangovers in. MBA, AMB, B.S., B.A., where's the beer? That's the question every soon to be transfer student asks themselves, you know? Go to OG-'s link. Don't drink your money away, if you want to party get an apartment near campus then go to school once it gets boring. Did any of this even matter? Nope. Dang.

DaShiz

You're a smart ass, I mean smart guy, surely this didn't matter, but good luck with College, it's the funnest 5 years I've had so far.
The individual words are jumbled then the spaces are removed. PM the answer to me. First one with the answer wins.

Godsend, I am currently at The George Washington University in Washington DC. GW is one of the top schools. In fact schools are ranked by tiers. it goes like this: Top schools (include harvard, princeton, yale, duke, gw,etc etc the famouse ones), then second tier, then tier (these are usually state schools), and finally fourth tier (mostly community colleges).

From someone who is at a pretty prestigous university, take it from me that GPA is a little bit more important than SAT. My SAT score was near embaressing, but my GPA was an eye opener. GPA is also the one you can control a bit more than SAT. Just make sure when you apply to college, that you have lots of activities, a good reccomendation, and try to write the best damn essay of your life.

Just my 2 cents.

Kaiser "The Devil" Soze
What are the "levels" of degrees you can earn and how many years do you need to put in?
Generally they go in the order of Bachelors (B.?) --->Masters (M.?) ----> Ph.D

The question marks as I understand it can be one of two things ARTS or SCIENCE, for example I'm majoring in Math so I will achieve a B.Sc. Whereas, someone majoring in English most likely and in all probability will achieve a B.A. Some fields are clear cut some may be achieved one way or another, Psychology for example ( this is my 2nd major) can be done through the science branch or the arts.

All that Glitters answered this question quite nicely

What are the factors involved in getting into a college? (If you can try to put them into a percentange such as gpa: x% sat: y% and what not)
The GPA and the SAT weights are varied from one university to another, you are going to have to look them up or I can help you look them up if you tell me the schools you are interested in

Unless of course you apply up here in the Great White North (canada) then it is solely based on grades alone... along with many other countries I might add (however, lets not add more complexity to the mix)

What's the diff between undergraduate and graduate?
Undergraduate means you are comming out of high school into post secondary education.

Graduate means you have completed a university degree and are continuing to be more of a specalist. Generally (as in 90% of the time I would estimate) people get the Masters or the Ph.Ds in whatever they completed their Bachelors in... which logically makes sense.... However for law schools it does not matter what your choice of major is. (you are not intested in this secnario so less aviod this too)

Also the following questions are aimed towards the MBA perspective of things...

How long does does it take to earn a MBA?

What do you need to achieve before you can get your MBA? (classes wise and other degrees)
You will need a B.A
MBA stands for Master of Business Administration so I'm guessing most likely you will be majoring in something along that stream
-Marketing
-Accounting
-Economics
etc

The number of years to complete your major is given as 4 years, your Masters I think is another 2....however there are many things you can do to shorten the time and things that can slow you down.

I'm talking about the fine trade-off between Marks and Time, it is concieviable that if you give yourself light course loads every semester, you will do exceptional however your journey will be more lenghtly... unless you are among the rare exceptions of students who excel in life or whose parents donate buildings <--- haha, and if thats the case, can you hook me up

Mathematically I will give you
A 66.7% chance it will be a number of years between 5-7
A 95.4% chance it will be a number of years between 4-8
A 99.9% chance it will be a number of years between 3-9