Marvel Movie Rampage

Tools    

In the Beginning...
Originally Posted by 7thson
As an avid collector of comics in the past, and a huge X-Men fan I enjoyed the X-Movies more, so I may be biased somewhat. Still I collected many other comics and these movies gave me that same excitement that I got when I read comic books back when I had to scrounge together $1.00 for three comics and an RC cola on Saturday afternoon. The Spiderman movies were great also, and if he happened to be my fav comic character I may have swayed more that way. But thanks for thoughts. I Have not read Road to Perdition, but have seen the movie, good stuff.
Yeah, agreed - and I really think the X-films are getting there in terms of cinematic quality. But as an X-fan as well, I'm still not quite happy with how certain things have been done thus far. Some of the characters should be re-cast, and some poor decisions have been made regarding plot points. For example, Sabertooth was extremely underused, which is a shame (since he could have been a strong villain character). Rogue is somewhat of a trainwreck of characters (Rogue/Jubilee/Kitty Pride). Cyclops is also heavily underused - he was practically nonexistent in X2, and even when he was there, James Marsden's acting left much to be desired.

I really like how things are moving more toward the "Grant Morrison" X-Men, if you will; and the character interaction is strong enough in the films to maintain that. While I thought Colossus was used in X2 simply to "wow" fans, I was glad to see Nightcrawler. His inclusion finally made me feel like I was really watching the X-Men onscreen.

I'd still like to get more of a stable sense of the "mutant threat" issue that makes X-Men what it is. They introduced it well in the first film, but the second film only showed episodes of it (Bobby's family, characters talking about it between themselves, etc). It was really just a centralized story regarding Stryker's motivations, which I guess didn't hold my attention as much as I wanted it to.

Nevertheless, the X-films are going in the right direction. Hopefully, they'll do something awesome with the "Phoenix" idea (because we certainly don't need Lilandra and the Shiar running around in X3).

First off, gotta give some love to soulsolid for starting this thread....there is some sweet stuff here already posted. As for the "Wu-Tang style weekend of Marvel Mayhem", I must add my two cents...and here goes:

1.) Blade- It is the BEST comic turned movie to date.
2.) X2- They actually made a sequel better than the first one with this release. I hope the third keeps setting the bar higher.
3.) X-Men- I wasn't too sure about the casting choices when I first heard about this movie, but I was convinced they made the right choices after I left the theater
4.) Blade II- I liked Guillermo's directing style and thought the storyline was pretty good. Although the bringing back of Whistler was a bit janky.
5.) Spiderman II- another sequel that doesn't disappoint.
6.) Spiderman- I was gonna put this above its sequel, but Doc Oc was too cool.
7.) Blade Trinity- Haven't seen this yet, but it gets ranked 7th because, A.) It's a Blade movie and B.) It has to be better than the next 3 flicks.
8.) The Hulk- It's at 7 for two reasons...Sam Elliot was a great Gen. Ross and Jennifer Connelly is just waaaaaaay fine.
9.) Daredevil- A lot of people are coming down on this flick, but it wasn't as bad a movie as people are saying. I just think there was way to much hype and it never lived up to it. And at any rate, Jennifer Garner in tight leather is good enough reason for me to watch this movie
10.) The Punisher- I was very disappointed with this movie. Its only on the list to fill out a top ten.

Arresting your development
Originally Posted by Piledriver
First off, gotta give some love to soulsolid for starting this thread....there is some sweet stuff here already posted. As for the "Wu-Tang style weekend of Marvel Mayhem", I must add my two cents...and here goes:
Yeeees! That soulsolid fella bamma, is a good guy. Though let me get this straight you are coming off with Marvel from the 36 chambers?

I love this place.

As someone who hasnt read comics, only a few Spiderman, here is how i rate the films.

Spiderman- 9/10 not a bad film, just would have liked to see more. Good start to the franchise
Spiderman 2- 9.5/10 took of from the 1st film and expanded on the franchise all around, wish it had a higher rating and different ending (oh, and De Niro as Oc)
X-Men- 7/10 no complaints, as the 1st good mainstream Marvel film, i think its deserves credit for leading this rampage (?-imo)
X-Men 2- 8/10 a lot more enjoyable, more better action, less plot. Depends on taste, as an action film it was better than X-Men

Now, i'd say these are the two biggest franchises atm. Obviously they have to vary. Spiderman has a few characters so can have a much more restricted focus whereas X-Men has such a wide scope and has tried to include as many X-Men as possible. Due to this there is obviously less room for development in their characters. I feel that both films do what they should perfectly. My only major compliant is the seeming lack of a grand narrative, Raimi better pull out all the stops for S3.

Blade-7.5/10 the 1st good marvel movie (?) cant remember it too well, enjoyed the use of 18 rating
Blade 2- 6.5/10 went up a similar street with X-Men 2, only i dont see why, possibly for the money, which would explain the dumbing down of Trinity (yet to see). Good action, and good film.
The Punisher- 6/10 meh
Hulk- 8/10 dont see whats wrong with it, thoguht it was the best Marvel film when i 1st saw it. Enjoyed the build up and good pay-off.
DareDevil- 5/10 Bullseye = good, the rest = meh

Hello Salem, my name's Winifred. What's yours
i watched daredevil last night, i thought it was pretty decent, but not as a superhero movie, i thought thatside of the movie was a bit pants. I dislike colin farrel a lot and find it hard to watch him without getting irritated. But i liked ben affleck as matt and i am really looking forward to Elektra when it comes out. I didnt like whatshisname as Kingpin, thought he was a bit rubbish in this film.

Gotta say i really did like Blade i thought it was awesome, it took vampire films somewhere else and to aspects i hadnt thougt of like the concept of the 'daywalker'. I hadnt seen anything like the stuff in this movie. Im yet to the sequels but i cant wait to get the chance.

I cant express just how much i love x-men, i never read the comics but i used to watch the cartoons, but with so many different storylines in the cartoons i got a little confused as to what the films were drawing inspirations from, the cartoons and comics were both looked at i think.

I havent seen the hulk and i dont intend to, i never liked the storyline as a kid with the cartoons so i dont intend to sit through an hour and whatever to watch a live action.

I enjoyed spiderman but i think the sequel knocked the spots off of it. It greatly pis.sed me off that everyone found out he waqs spiderman by the end of the film, where's the mystery, where's the tension?

Never got the chance to see the punisher, nit kinda just flew by me, i suppose ill watch it coz i try not to pass up a chance to watch John Travolta.

Im really looking forward to the Fantastic Four movie coming out, anyone got more info on it?

Originally Posted by Anonymous Last
Yeeees! That soulsolid fella bamma, is a good guy. Though let me get this straight you are coming off with Marvel from the 36 chambers?

I love this place.
When one is going to dedicate an entire weekend of extensive viewing of Marvels masterful works of cinema contributions, one must break between digestions of film and food, and what better way to do that then to the 6 minutes and 53 seconds of serious sound produced in "Can It Be All So Simple".

Originally Posted by Piledriver
When one is going to dedicate an entire weekend of extensive viewing of Marvels masterful works of cinema contributions, one must break between digestions of film and food, and what better way to do that then to the 6 minutes and 53 seconds of serious sound produced in "Can It Be All So Simple".

Damn...I had to jump back when I read this post! Took me back to 1993.
I felt like I had to Protect my neck! Thanks for the Tearz as you brought the mother f-in ruckus!

Kaiser "The Devil" Soze
I generally agree with the ratings that have already been posted but for those who rated the HULK highly I have to say "it really bothers me". It is something I can not disagree more. I flat out hated the movie (I felt it was too long, lacked a good plot line, most of the action scenes were in the trailers and previews..........in fact I may go as far as to rank DAREDEVIL higher than the hulk)

As a Matter of fact I will for Kaisersoze in the matter of HULK vs. Daredevil - Daredevil wins

An Original Flavor Formation
I felt like I had to Protect my neck! Thanks for the Tearz as you brought the mother f-in ruckus!
Guard yo grill, playa, guard yo grill!

Originally Posted by soulsolid
Guard yo grill, playa, guard yo grill!
You know my clan's in the front.

I CAME TO BRING THA PAIN, HARDCORE TO DA BRAIN!!

Originally Posted by kaisersoze
I generally agree with the ratings that have already been posted but for those who rated the HULK highly I have to say "it really bothers me". It is something I can not disagree more. I flat out hated the movie (I felt it was too long, lacked a good plot line, most of the action scenes were in the trailers and previews..........in fact I may go as far as to rank DAREDEVIL higher than the hulk)

As a Matter of fact I will for Kaisersoze in the matter of HULK vs. Daredevil - Daredevil wins
I enjoy most of the Marvel films and I'm looking forward to most of those new films slated for 2005 and beyond. Elektra & Fantastic Four look great to me.

I have to agree that DD beats the Hulk hands down. (Especially when you factor in the Daredevil Director's Cut which is FAR better then the theatrical version.)

A system of cells interlinked
Originally Posted by yellowjacket1
I enjoy most of the Marvel films and I'm looking forward to most of those new films slated for 2005 and beyond. Elektra & Fantastic Four look great to me.

I have to agree that DD beats the Hulk hands down. (Especially when you factor in the Daredevil Director's Cut which is FAR better then the theatrical version.)

Why is this dude getting bad rep? I read all his (very few) posts and saw nothing even close to deserving bad rep...

I'm throwing some good rep your way...

just saw this now, pretty good and action packed, dwayne the rock johnson has stamped his authority on these kinds of roles, and i like his acting a lot. very funny and action packed film