Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

"Honor is not in the Weapon. It is in the Man"

Teiichi: Battle of Supreme High (Akira Nagai, 2017)

Laughed my butt off through this adaptation of a manga revolving around high school politics and in the case of the titular character, his intent to get his name out there as a potential candidate for Student Council President, a step towards his ultimate goal of becoming the Prime Minister of his own country! Masaki Suda, as Teiichi, is the reason to see this...hes absolutely hilarious!

Hereditary (2018)

-

My wife and I put this on Sunday night, and even though we were enjoying it, we couldn't stay awake past the first hour. It's good but not good enough to really overcome it's slow pace. We finished it the next day and she ended up not caring for it. I thought it was pretty good but nothing close to special. The performances are good and the near constant pulsating score adds to the tension. There are some startling scenes that I thought saved it, but then I thought the finale was subpar. It's a well made movie but not one I'd care to see again.
Agree with the review and the rating! it was a decent watch at best for me

The Last Emperor (Bernardo Bertolucci, 1987)

Morocco (Josef von Sternberg, 1930)

Superman Unbound

Not bad for a cartoon.. I'd love to see a live action Brainiac!

Well there's one on Krypton.

L'Atalante (1934)

From the Ebert list, a couple gets married, get on a boat, and then their marriage hits an early speedbump. I thought it was a decent watch, subtle and a tad whimsical. Not really for me.

L'Atalante (1934)

From the Ebert list, a couple gets married, get on a boat, and then their marriage hits an early speedbump. I thought it was a decent watch, subtle and a tad whimsical. Not really for me.
Felt similar. I loved the Charlie Chaplin like scene in the bar though. And the underwater scene was beautiful. Also liked the big dude i can't even remember what he was in L'Atalante, he's Boudu in Boudu Saved From Drowning too.

Happy Death Day (2017)

Sounds like a cheerful movie.

Most of us really liked Happy Death Day

Happy Death Day

This is a tough one, I'm still trying to process what I saw. Happy Death Day is basically Groundhog Day re-imagined as a slasher film. The lead character "Tree" is a sorority sister who is murdered in an elaborate birthday themed murder only to have her wake up the next day.

Tree is an awful human being so you've got a number of possible murder suspects. As each death comes and goes she becomes a bit smarter and the suspects are eliminated one by one until we get to the final reveal.

As a horror film it was a bit lacking, knowing that she wakes up the next day takes a bit of the sting out of the murders which is unfortunate for a slasher. You also have a number of plot holes, contrivances, and the resolution leaves a bit to be desired.

Actually their are a number of maddening things that nitpickers are going to hate...like the romantic leads feel like they are ten years apart, you don't understand how that college exists and one of the sorority sister behaves and acts like she doesn't belong in the same sorority. But you can move past that because it's funny, it's actually really funny. There is a Ghostbusters/What About Bob style to the film including the best fart joke I've seen in years. You also find yourself engaged with the story, it's fast paced and Tree is a lot of fun if not somewhat inconsistent a character.[/quote]

Happy Death Day

(Christopher B. Landon)

Go Shawty, it's yur birfday.

50 Cent's In Da Club was in this trailer, slowed down to comedic effect. Unfortunately they couldn't secure the rights for the movie and had to change her ringtone. How did they get it for the trailer? I have no idea. I had more fun with this Groundhog Day inspired slasher film than I expected to. With a charismatic lead performance from relative newcomer Jessica Rothe, Happy Death Day manages to have fun in a tiredness of the classic repeating day troupe.

Tree is a sorority girl who manages to be a bitch to everyone. She is rude to a guy whose dorm room she wakes up in, the people she meets in the morning, her roommate and constantly ignores her father trying to call her on her birthday. Karma catches up to her when a masked figure stabs her to death. But wait, there's more!!!! Tree wakes up again, back in that dorm room. Things are eerily similar and she decides to take a different route from where she died last time. Yet that darn masked killer finds her and once again slices and dices. Rinse repeat. Now Tree must find out who her killer is and hopefully break this repeating cycle before the constant dying somehow ends up permanent.

Happy Death Day takes the slasher genre and mixes it with Groundhog Day. So it knows what it wants to be and it has fun with the subject matter. The director, Christopher B. Landon, has fun with the investigative aspects of Tree trying to solve her own murder. Eliminating suspects each time she dies. Plenty of room for comedy here and they make use of it. I would have appreciated a little bit more on the bloody side of things. This film is rated PG-13 and the lack of on screen gore really shows. Much like The Final Girls, Happy Death Day wants to pay homage to the 80's and 90's slasher genre, but feels crippled by the rating.

The identity of the killer was no surprise to me, films like this like to throw curveballs here and there and I found this one to be a little obvious. Story wise it made sense to me and worked well within the comedic aspects previously presented. Motifs are usually hit or miss, but here it could have been anything and it would work.

In most of these films it usually takes the lead character to change their personality from bad to good in order to break the loop. Tree takes this route too, but it mostly has to deal with finding and stopping her killer. Rothe makes the transition from bad to good believable and isn't afraid of making herself seem less desirable for a laugh. She is an attractive person and I feel like a lesser person who worries about their image wouldn't do the fart joke she does in the film, but here she is game and has fun with the material.

Happy Death Day surprised me with how much fun I had. It's nowhere near perfect and I could pinpoint a lot of problems, but the overall package is a neatly tied up one that I appreciated. The onscreen chemistry between Rothe and dorm boy Israel Broussard is believable and I wouldn't mind visiting these people again in a sequel. I feel like horror films as of late have been on an upward trend. I'm liking this.

I still regret that I missed Happy Death Day (2017) when it was in theaters. There is a small, ****ty, non-AMC theater about 20 minutes away from me that I always wanted to go watch a horror movie at - and I wish Happy Death Day could have been that movie. But, alas, I finally picked up a Redbox last night and popped it in.

Overall, I really enjoyed it. I feel the movie doesn't have enough fun with its concept, but since original slashers movies are a rarity these days, it's a horror movie that I went into less cynical than I usually am. Rating wise, I keep jumping back to back between a "3.0" or a "3.5" - so I'm just going to go with 3.0.

RATING:

I don't think anyones disliked it, it works the PG-13 horror well

Who is that? She reminds me of someone I like, clobbering people with an umbrella.
No idea, just typed in something like slapping gif in google and liked that one.

Last watched:

Snooze factor rating = Z

[Snooze Factor Ratings]:
Z = didn't nod off at all
Zz = nearly nodded off but managed to stay alert
Zzz = nodded off and missed some of the film but went back to watch what I missed
Zzzz = nodded off and missed some of the film but went back to watch what I missed but nodded off again at the same point and therefore needed to go back a number of times before I got through it...
Zzzzz = nodded off and missed some or the rest of the film but was not interested enough to go back over it

Movie 43 (Elizabeth Banks, Steven Brill, Steve Carr, Rusty Cundieff, James Duffy, Griffin Dunne, Peter Farrelly, Patrik Forsberg, Will Graham, James Gunn, Brett Ratner, Jonathan van Tulleken & Bob Odenkirk, 2013)

Hilary Hairy-arse this most certainly ain't - damn near asked for my money back even though I watched it for free

Wheelman (2017)

This might just do nobody any good.
Interview with the Vampire (1994)

By far and away, the best part of this movie is the face Pitt makes when Cruise tells him to “look with [his] vampire eyes.”

I work for Keyser Soze. He feels you owe him.
Roman Holiday

8/10

From Beyond

7/10

Evil Dead

8/10

The Hateful Eight

9/10

The Big Sleep

8.5/10

“I was cured, all right!”
I was planning to watch the original Predator last night, but a friend of mine just bought the blu-ray of Citizen Kane, I couldn't resist.

This was the first time I watched the restoration of C. Kane. It blowed my mind! It deserves the hype around it.