Netflix vs. Blockbuster

Tools    

I wonder....Does anyone know if Blockbuster has edited versions of Ichi the Killer?
I know they do for Dead Alive, and was wondering if they had done the same for Miike's film. I got both of these from Blockbuster and wasn't impressed with either one, mainly because they weren't anywhere near as disturbing as they had been advertised and spoken of. I had seen trailers of Ichi and some of the stuff in the trailer wasn't in the version I saw, so maybe I need to seek it out again.

An oh yeah, Blockbuster sucks.

****in' A, man. I got a rash, man
Blockbuster suck! I went to blockbuster to rent a movie and they told me they don't stock it because of a dispute with the studio

Pity I can't remember what movie it was
"You smell that? Do you smell that?... Napalm, son. Nothing else in the world smells like that. I love the smell of napalm in the morning. You know, one time we had a hill bombed, for twelve hours. When it was all over I walked up. We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' dink body. The smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole hill. Smelled like... victory. Someday this war's gonna end..."

I have been doing netflix for a while, and I love it. I just load up the online movie list and receive a constant stream of movies. It goes like this: Get three movies, watch them, send them back, and get three more movies. Repeat as necessary. Since you pay a flat rate per month (as opposed to per rental), its a big plus for people who watch a lot of movies. I haven't used blockbuster in a while, so I can't really compare them. But i can say netflix is a safe bet for people who rent movies a lot.

You ready? You look ready.
It'll be a cold day in hell before I rent something from Blockbuster again.
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

i was thinking with starting a netflix account but i was reading up on blockbuster online and they have the same deal except a fw bucks cheaper plus you get two free in store rentals a month and thats good because i also rent video games from time to time. so im really leaning toward blockbuster dispite what you all have said

I got for good luck my black tooth.
Originally Posted by The Taxi Driver
i was thinking with starting a netflix account but i was reading up on blockbuster online and they have the same deal except a fw bucks cheaper plus you get two free in store rentals a month and thats good because i also rent video games from time to time. so im really leaning toward blockbuster dispite what you all have said
Yeah, it is cheaper and I am enjoying it so far. I have not encountered the problems that some of you have, besides them not having a few films I searched for, however for the most part the selection is good. I will just have to find another way to see IZO and Oldboy

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
Originally Posted by ash_is_the_gal
yup, the man is correct! I went and saw Mulholland Drive in the theaters. When I started working for Blockbuster, I rented it one day. There is a scene in the movie where Naomi Watts is stepping out of the shower and you catch a glimpse of her bush. When I rented it at Blockbuster, I had to rewind it because I realized they blurred it out in their version. This really frosted my poptart!

Not that I'm a lesbian or anything. You don't have to be, to want to see a peice of that gal.
This isn't a Blockbuster thing, this is a Director thing. Neither Naomi, or the other chick (can't think of her name at the moment) wanted the lower regions of their bodies put on film. I bought the movie (from a source other than Blockbuster) and the result is the same.
"I was walking down the street with my friend and he said, "I hear music", as if there is any other way you can take it in. You're not special, that's how I receive it too. I tried to taste it but it did not work." - Mitch Hedberg

I want to start doing one of these, I'm still going to the rental store to get my movies, and most of them are already gone. Kinda sucks, plus the online ones have a much bigger selection.

i use netflix and i love it, they have super fast shipping. I have never used blockbuster online, i even stopped going to blockbuster once i signed up for netflix

I don't do blockbuster PERIOD, they are the Wal-Mart of movies. I dont need big brother protecting me from myself, TYVM. If I want to see an unrated directors cut, or an obscure film like Audition uncut without some morality policeman telling me "no no you cant see that, its baaaaad!"

I used to work in one of the best Video Stores in the country (although I can't in good consience divulge the name of the palce I gave a MAJOR hint there) and I was highly spoiled by the selection, Netflix comes close, very close.

The store I worked for did a brisk mail-order buisness before Netflix so I feel kinda guilty ordering from them, but then again I'm poor

Originally Posted by spudracer
This isn't a Blockbuster thing, this is a Director thing. Neither Naomi, or the other chick (can't think of her name at the moment) wanted the lower regions of their bodies put on film. I bought the movie (from a source other than Blockbuster) and the result is the same.
May be a bad example but still the basis is true. BB is or at one time WAS owned by Viacom, Summer Redstone a rabid social conservative, once demanded to see cuts in films IN PRODUCTION, threatening to not stock them if certain cuts were not made. Breaking the BB hedgenomy by shopping at Netflix is a freeing move IMO. Besides many BB employees have not clue one about film and even less about good film.

A system of cells interlinked
Well, here is my experience with the editing by Assbuster Video. I rented Kalifornia, and had seen it in the theater. There was a scene where Michelle Forbes gets snacked on by one of the male characters, and the entire sequence was removed from the rental copy. I was unsure if I had mixed up a scene from a different film, so I asked the clerk when I returned it.

Sedai "Howdy, there seems to be a scene missing from this film, do you guys edit any of the films?"

Clerk "Yes, this is a family establishment, and the content has to fall under our family oriented standards."

Did the clerk know for sure? Who knows, but he said they edited the films.

So, the scene was gone, the guy said the edited it, you decide.

Oh and BTW, about Mulholland Drive, the digital blur of Harring's Bush was initiated by Lynch himself, at the request of LE Harring, who refused to do the scenes in question without a clause stating her bush would be blurred out on home releases. So say many of the Lynch sites....

From Dugpa.net:

Lynch had this to say on April 10th in his chat room at David Lynch.com:

Mulholland Drive DVD Streets Today
So what are you waiting for? I'll be grabbing my copy at lunch today. Also, before the rumors start, all you film purists should know that yes, there is a brief nude scene of Laura Harring that was digitally blurred from the waist down on purpose. Lynch however made the decision on this... not Universal. A quote from his chatroom on the subject:

DAVIDLYNCH [5:30 PM PST]: WE DID THAT BLURRING FOR THE DVD ON PURPOSE AS WE KNEW THAT PICTURES OF LAURA WOULD BE EVERYWHERE IF WE DIDN'T

Then Later:

April 14th 2002
More from Lynch on Mulholland Drive Blurring

DAVIDLYNCH [7:59 PM PST]: ...FIRST - IF THE SHOT IS TIMED CORRECTLY YOU SHOULD NOT BE ABLE TO TELL ONE BIT IF LAURA'S PUBIC HAIR HAS BEEN BLURRED - THIS PROBABLY MEANS SOME VIEWERS ARE EXPERIMENTING TO SEE LAURA'S PUBIC HAIR AND MORE ..... THIS IS WHY THE PICTURE WAS BLURRED - I PROMISED LAURA THAT I WOULD TRY TO PROTECT HER AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE AND TOLD HER SHE WOULD REMAIN A BEAUTIFUL SILLOUETTE AGAINST THE WARM LIGHT COMING IN THROUGH THE CURTAINS...

DAVIDLYNCH [8:02 PM PST]: ...SOME PEOPLE SEE IT AS A STRANGE CENSORSHIP - IT ISN'T AND LIKE I SAID - IF YOU CAN SEE THE BLURRING THEN YOUR SET IS NOT ADJUSTED PROPERLY AND THE WHOLE FILM IS WRONG - NO PROPER MOOD

Yeah a family establishment that stocks mindlessly violent films by da Gubbinor, tons of unededited Horror flicks and M rated videogames. The hypocracy astounds....

No argument really, I don't rent film's, I just wait for it to come out then buy it, if it's rubbish then i've got a birthday/christmas present for someone!!!

Has anyone heard of GREENCINE? It looks really good.

I use Netflix and really like the service.

Originally Posted by Sedai
Well, here is my experience with the editing by Assbuster Video. I rented Kalifornia, and had seen it in the theater. There was a scene where Michelle Forbes gets snacked on by one of the male characters, and the entire sequence was removed from the rental copy. I was unsure if I had mixed up a scene from a different film, so I asked the clerk when I returned it.

Sedai "Howdy, there seems to be a scene missing from this film, do you guys edit any of the films?"

Clerk "Yes, this is a family establishment, and the content has to fall under our family oriented standards."

Did the clerk know for sure? Who knows, but he said they edited the films.
OK, maybe I'm the last person on Earth to really know this, but... you're kidding?!?!

Is this really true of EVERY Blockbusters? Cause I've rented John Waters' Pink Flamingos from there once before and it definitely was NOT edited. And it's definitely NOT a family film.

I say blockbuster, but thats only because I like going to the store.

Celluloid Temptation Facilitator
i just go to my public library. tons of movies and you get to take out up to 9 movies for free
Me too!

Also I use peerflix for some things.

Then I also rent locally if I just can't wait.

I tried Netflix. They messed up, didn't offer to fix it during my free trial and I was DONE.