Top Grossing Movies Of All Time

Tools    

I've often wondered exactly how much money some of the movies released actually bring in. Depending on where you get your source, you might end up with a little bit different list. Here is the top five that I found.

http://mix941kmxj.com/top-5-grossing...ll-time-video/

I thought Titanic was still at the top of the list, but according to this, I was wrong.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
That list is wrong.

I know off the top of my head that Avatar is over $2 billion, Titanic around $1.8 billion, I think Independence Day did very well, over $1 billion, and Dark Knight crept over a $1 billion worldwide.

Although if you take into account inflation Titanic is probably slightly ahead of Avatar.

Inflation adjusted list here.http://boxofficemojo.com/alltime/adjusted.htm

I don't remember asking you a ******* thing!
Independence Day only made about $800 million at the box office. Here's the top ten box-office hits.

1. Avatar ($2.7 billion)
2. Titanic ($1.8 billion)
3. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Pt. 2 ($1.3 billion)
4. Transformers: Dark of the Moon ($1.12 billion)
5. The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King ($1.119 billion)
6. Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest ($1.066 billion)
7. Toy Story 3 ($1.063 billion)
8. Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides ($1.04 billion)
9. 2010 Alice in Wonderland ($1.024 billion)
10. The Dark Knight ($1 billion)

This list is for all-time gross world-wide and unadjusted for inflation, but here's the site that has this claim.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/world/

A person is smart. People are dumb
Wikipedia states that no film prior to 1977 is considered due to "ticket-price inflation, population size and ticket purchasing trends not being considered". But it claims that, adjusted for inflation and such, Gone With the Wind still holds the top spot.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
There was a day when the box office more closely corresponded to what were the better films of the year, but that was back when more movies were being made for and by adults.

You all do realize that the link provided says world wide box office take but those are the domestic gross numbers, right? Go here to see the list. Technically the list isn't wrong, but labeling it as "world-wide" is where the error lies.

Now, is that all cleared up?

We've gone on holiday by mistake
Lets rename this thread "List Wars".

Sudoku Blackbelt
I have a question that's kind of related to this list. I'm getting ready to leave for work so I don't have the time to look around for a thread.

Is there a list in this forum of all time box office draws for actors? I'd have to guess:

Harrison Ford ~ Star Wars, Indiana Jones, The Tom Clancy movies

Johnny Depp ~ Jack Sparrow

Matt Damon ~ Jason Bourne

I'm just guessing though.

On a personal note, I have a firm stance against 'Gone With The Wind'. They stole the Oscar from 'The Wizard of Oz'. Hehe.

Is there a list in this forum of all time box office draws for actors?
NTMK

I'd have to guess:

Harrison Ford ~ Star Wars, Indiana Jones, The Tom Clancy movies

Johnny Depp ~ Jack Sparrow

Matt Damon ~ Jason Bourne

I'm just guessing though.
Until recently, I think it was Samuel L. Jackson. However, I remember seeing that some guy had taken over the mantle. Don't remember his name, though.

On a personal note, I have a firm stance against 'Gone With The Wind'. They stole the Oscar from 'The Wizard of Oz'. Hehe.
Just another reason to love it. Or it would be, were it not for the fact that GWTW deserved it. It would've been criminal if that bloody Oz film had taken it.