Hollywood Classics That Should Never Be Remade

Tools    

With all these movies being rehashed is anything off limits?

Here's a couple movies that I think couldn't be remade.

Gone with the Wind
Casablanca
Back to the Future
Citizen Kane
2001 Space Ddyssey

The entire Hitchcock catalog should be off limits especially since the Psycho remake disaster

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Casablanca
The Wizard of Oz
Some like it Hot
Anything of Hitch's

there is more but these are the ones that first come to mind

Welcome to the human race...
A good rule of thumb would be to never remake anything that's won the Oscar for Best Picture.

So many good movies, so little time.
I would love to see Gone with the Wind remade from the view point of the slaves. Not as a farce, but as a real movie.

"Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others."- Groucho Marx

Honestly I'd love to see a new Maltese Falcon.
I am sure I am going to be hated for this. I love the original, but can't help wanting to see a new one.

Atlleast, would love to see a new Sam Spade movie by David Fincher. Ofcourse, Setting it in the original era.

I hear they're remaking (or reworking, or resomething) Back to the Future already. Or planning to.

Anyway, I don't hate remakes, if only because they don't really change the originals. We still have those, so there's not a lot of harm, save for the few people who might then never see the original. And anyone like that wasn't likely to appreciate it in the first place.

I'll say that the classics that should never be remade are the ones that don't depend on any real effects work, to be sure. Casablanca is probably the universal choice; it certainly can't be done better, and for all the improvements in photography and effects, the film doesn't rely on them at all to begin with, so you can't really improve it. You can only make a very different version of it. I guess that still qualifies, so it depends on how "remade" the remake is.

Ditto for a lot of Hitchcock films, for similar reasons. Ditto for Some Like It Hot. No matter how well-shot and/or crisp a remake is, it can't possibly improve a film that didn't rely on that sort of thing to begin with.

I'll disagree with The Wizard of Oz. I don't particularly want them to remake it, but the potential for an incredibly vibrant visual feast above and beyond the original is certainly there. I don't dig the idea, mind you, but I think you can make a better argument for that one than most classics.

I agree with Master Yoda, Some movies are not meant for remakes...
I love Casblance just the way it is, if they make it again.. it will look dull... & Above all there's noone to replace Bogie.

I think the better and the harder question would be, what top of the line classics WOULD actually have a shot at being at least a decent remake. I'm not talking remaking Nightmare on Elm Street (as it was) but something of bigger proportions like we are discussing right now. I can't think of anything immediately, but I'm going to ponder on that for awhile. I wasn't a big fan of The Maltese Falcon to begin with, so I don't know about that one.

That was the third version of The Maltese Falcon, and you can't improve on perfection.
Really? I knew that there was a 1931 remake, but I didn't know there was another one before the 1941. Interesting.

I hear they're remaking (or reworking, or resomething) Back to the Future already. Or planning to.
Yoda, really? What source? I would love to find out. I dont want Back to the Future remade. That is one of my favorite movie all the time! Thanks for sharing.

A person is smart. People are dumb
A good rule of thumb would be to never remake anything that's won the Oscar for Best Picture.
A good rule. I also think films shouldn't be remade if they were made using the opinions of a different time. For example, nowadays you couldn't make a film about six brothers kidnapping six young women and holding them against their will until they eventually learn to live with it without changing it to avoid angering feminists, ergo there shouldn't be a remake of Seven Brides for Seven Brothers. Films made when there was nothing wrong with a little gentle racism or sexism shouldn't be remade lest the PC brigade sounds their alarm bells.

Some films of the classic era, although they resonate with modern audiences, wouldn't translate to the modern screen, like Brief Encounter. It's pretty hard to make an 'innocent' film nowadays.

Also, it's a bad idea to remake films which rely on star power. All About Eve is a great film but Bette Davis was a massive part of making it great.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
A good rule. I also think films shouldn't be remade if they were made using the opinions of a different time. For example, nowadays you couldn't make a film about six brothers kidnapping six young women and holding them against their will until they eventually learn to live with it without changing it to avoid angering feminists, ergo there shouldn't be a remake of Seven Brides for Seven Brothers. Films made when there was nothing wrong with a little gentle racism or sexism shouldn't be remade lest the PC brigade sounds their alarm bells.
I say "Screw the PC brigade". They may be just as responsible for the dumbing-down of Hollywood product as film-illiterate producers and studio heads.

Not technically a classic, however, a remake of E.T. would be disgusting.

Them!
The Petrified Forest
You Can't Take It With You
Golddiggers of 1935

All of Kubrick's movies.
i slightly disagree... You guys might hate me for this but if Paul Thomas Anderson was going to remake one of Kubrick's films (i doubt he would) i think it would be a really good movie