"At the Movies" without Siskel, Ebert & thumbs

→ in
Tools    

In 1986 Chicago newspaper film critics Gene Siskel and Roger Ebert took their movie reviews show, which had been local starting in the late 1970s and syndicated in the early '80s, to a nationally syndicated weekly program which made "two thumbs up" the most-wanted seal of approval in the industry. Gene died suddenly in 1998 from a brain tumor. Ebert did the show for about a year with a circulating panel of guest critics, including a couple filmmakers for special shows, and when the dust settled the regular gig was given permanently to Richard Roeper, another reporter from Roger's Chicago paper.

A series of serious health issues took Ebert off the air in 2006, and though he still reviews movies in print and on-line he's been left unable to speak so, obviously, couldn't do the TV show anymore. But the show continued and Roeper had an ever-changing series of guest critics and filmmakers on in Roger's absence. When it became clear Roger would never return to the air, the search began in earnest for a fulltime replacement. Eventually in 2008 it went to yet another Chicago-based film reviewer (the show has always been filmed there) in Michael Phillips. The "thumbs" were subtly retired months ago, and the ratings Roper & Phillips gave became "SEE IT", "RENT IT" or "SKIP IT".

But that partnership didn't last long when a few weeks ago Disney Television, the owners of the show, announced they would not renew Roeper's contract, meaning every link to Siskel & Ebert is officially gone.

Two weeks ago the new completely retooled "At the Movies" debuted. The format is similar to the tried and true formula Roger & Gene pioneered for decades, but it's certainly different as well. The two main critics are Ben Lyons, the son of critic Jeffrey Lyons who is in his early thirties and has previously worked for Nickelodeon, MTV and E! before this job, and Ben Mankiewicz, grandnephew of Hollywood legend Joseph L. Mankiewicz who has worked for Turner Classic Movies since 2004. There's also a segment with a panel of even younger infotainment reporters and "critics" who come in and gang-bang a movie - I wouldn't call these segments "reviews" as each of the five just gives a snarky comment or two before moving on - awkward, annoying and dull, for my taste.

To be fair this new "At the Movies" has only had two episodes so far without much time between the decision not to go with Roeper, and over time they may get better, but right now I find it nearly unwatchable. Disney obviously decided to skew very young, but I can't imagine that moviegoers like me who have been watching the show since the '80s will stick around for this mess. Even with all the imitators and pretenders, the format and show that Gene and Roger started was always watchable. This new show is just another pretender that might as well be on E! or even cable access.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

For anybody who ever wondered what Gene and Roger's relationship, which was often contentious on the air, was like when they were off the air, check out
classics on YouTube. They had some great on-the-air fights on Johnny Carson's "Tonight Show", David Letterman's shows and Howard Stern's radio shows over the years as well.

I somehow doubt we'll be talking about either the on or off air relationship of Bens Lyons and Mankiewicz twenty years from now...or even twenty days from now.

I often watched the show growing up as I know you did too Holds and I'm sure like me at times you probably enjoyed their banter back and forth more than their movie reviews. I mean let's face it. A lot of the time their reviews went right over my head until they hit on one of those flicks that I still enjoy to this day, you know the ones. They have all those explosions and stuff.

I was pretty bummed when Gene died. He went so fast. And I could tell it really affected Roger. I think there was a rumor floating around the campfire that he almost stopped the show didn't he?

I've never really cared for Roeper either so I'll definitely be sure to skip this newest installment. Besides, I've finally found a source that I really trust so I really don't need to be let down by some "new and improved" At the Movies.

Anyway, thanks for the heads up.

I just know they're coming to kill me.
I just remember when Gene Siskel died, someone posed the question on the Jim Rome show, "Will they bury him thumbs up or thumbs down?"

I laughed. Hard.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
You have to remember that Gene came back to the show after his brain tumor surgery, but then he took another leave of absence and died before he could do anymore. He really seemed heroically brave to me at the time. I also remember that I started watching "Sneak Previews" on PBS in the mid-1970s.

I hope Holds likes this one. (See, those guys always talked with their hands. Plus they used to spend a lot more time on each movie. ) By the way, I give Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid
(that's a ).

The Fungus Among Us
http://www.movieforums.com/community...ad.php?t=17127

I've seen both episodes so far and I think Ben & Ben are doing a fine job.

I liked the new "critics round-up" that was featured in the last show.

I'm a little bummed about Roeper, as he was finally starting to grow on me. Took me a while to recover from his Thumbs Down of LOTR: FOTR. But I could not stand his co-host (Phillips).

So far both of these new guys seem to be pretty down to earth, and come across, to me, as more just fans of movie, rather than entitled film critics.

Originally Posted by vondummpenstein
So far both of these new guys seem to be pretty down to earth, and come across, to me, as more just fans of movie, rather than entitled film critics.
Yeah, I'm so sick of snotty professional critics who have actually seen multiple thousands of movies and are good writers instead of just some dude telling you if he thought it rocked or sucked.

The Fungus Among Us
Yeah well, I actually am Holden, so why don't you can the self-important attitude you lame forum arsonist.

It is possible to have your own opinion with out belittling another person's whose is different.

For God sakes you don't have to agree, but disagree respectfully.

You are always on here attacking people's comments and it really shows your true douche-baggery.

When you stick to just sharing your own opinion your posts are highly informative and well-written. Stick to movie critiquing over people critiquing.

Originally Posted by vondummpenstein
For God sakes you don't have to agree, but disagree respectfully.

You are always on here attacking people's comments and it really shows your true douche-baggery.

When you stick to just sharing your own opinion your posts are highly informative and well-written. Stick to movie critiquing over people critiquing.
You trot out your douchebag and I'm the one attacking. 'Kay. Thanks for the example of respectful disagreement. Duly noted.

And there's no extra charge for that "people critiquing"! I'm happy to do it.

Will your system be alright, when you dream of home tonight?
I watched one episode, Tory Shulman from Reelzchannel's "Movie Up" (which is also bad) was in the round. It's lost all my respect...

Holds you may have to change your slogan from One Ornery Sumbitch to Lame Forum Arsonist, that's pretty good stuff. If you don't mind I may steal that one myself. That's classic.

Will your system be alright, when you dream of home tonight?
Best Holden nickname ever has to go to Thespian, calling Holden "Jollypants"

Well, this won't be a popular opinion, but . . .

Checking out what critics think about anything in life, is a waste of my time. It won't change anything. It's about me, my tastes, my enjoyment . . . and since their reviews aren't going to encourage, or discourage me any, there's no reason for me to see what any of them think. If I have any doubts, I'll ask a friend, and be done with it.

I'm so conceited!

Chappie doesn't like the real world
Well, this won't be a popular opinion, but . . .

Checking out what critics think about anything in life, is a waste of my time. It won't change anything. It's about me, my tastes, my enjoyment . . .
I agree with you somewhat. I never read reviews about movies (or anything else) before I see them, but often I will read reviews after I see a movie to see what critics had to say about it. I usually check in with Ebert to see what he had to say, because really I just enjoy him more than most. It does not change how I feel about the movie, but it's interesting to me to see how their opinion compared with mine.

Best Holden nickname ever has to go to Thespian, calling Holden "Jollypants"
God that was pretty damn funny, I'm just bummed Holds didn't give me some rep for tracking down Bill Murray singing about Star Wars and The Spacebar. I like to think inside my weird little head that I was the only one that caught the Bill Murray SNL picture and acted accordingly.

I'm pretty sure that the sun will rise tomorrow though so its all good.

Rogert Ebert may not be able to speak anymore, but he can still write. Check out this cheeky response to an illiterate kid of the download age via the Answer Man section of his website...

Q. Yo dude, u missed out on "Disaster Movie," a hardcore laugh-ur-@zz-off movie! Y U not review this movie!? It was funny as #ell! Prolly the funniest movie of the summer! U never review these, wat up wit dat?
S.J. Stanczak, Chicago

A. Hey, bro, I wuz buzier than $#i+, @d they never shoed it b4 hand. I peeped in the IMDb and saw it zoomed to #1 as the low$ie$t flic of all time, wit @ lame-@zz UZer Rating of 1.3. U liked it? Wat up wit dat?
Of course when I do it I'm just a prick. But then I don't have a Pulitzer.

The Fungus Among Us
Yeah you gotta love Ebert. However over the past few years I really feel like he has lost a bit of his cynical edge. Just looking over his movie ratings there were way too many four star reviews. Also a lot of his three to four star reviews were rightfully rated lower by his site's users, where I think the majority of the time it should be the opposite. In a way I think it is a bit of a cop-out for him to only take stands against the obvious crap in the case of Disaster Movie, or seemingly obvious crap in the case of Death Race (seemingly obvious because it was mostly what he said it was, except that it was entertaining, all be it, entertaining crap).

What I'm saying is that I don't want to see a real treasure of film be subject to the influences and whims of Hollywood. If it sucks just say so, please don't make excuses for failures, and please don't except mediocrity even when it becomes the norm. The last major blockbuster I can remember him giving a fair denouncement was War of the Worlds, and Ebert, I think, is a pretty big Spielberg fan.

Four star reviews should be few and far between, especially from a man who should demand nothing but the best.

And there's no extra charge for that "people critiquing"! I'm happy to do it.
Holy ****! How did the other MoFo's not get this memo!?! How on earth did you ever conjure up this FINE example of sarcastic humour?! The wit and intelligence you displayed in that post was just...wow. This is most unorthodox!!

Just so you know vondump, this is Pikey boy's attempt at an argument.

Celluloid Temptation Facilitator
I too, used to enjoy the show. From it I could figure out if I would enjoy the movie even if they didn't.

Any other shows without Ebert haven't worked for me. I've found them quite irritating. I miss the old show.

I often watched the show growing up as I know you did too Holds and I'm sure like me at times you probably enjoyed their banter back and forth more than their movie reviews. I mean let's face it. A lot of the time their reviews went right over my head until they hit on one of those flicks that I still enjoy to this day, you know the ones. They have all those explosions and stuff.

I was pretty bummed when Gene died. He went so fast. And I could tell it really affected Roger. I think there was a rumor floating around the campfire that he almost stopped the show didn't he?

I've never really cared for Roeper either so I'll definitely be sure to skip this newest installment. Besides, I've finally found a source that I really trust so I really don't need to be let down by some "new and improved" At the Movies.

Anyway, thanks for the heads up.