Uncharted Movie is Going to Suck

Tools    

King of Couch Potatoes
So, not sure how many of you here are gamers, but one of my favorite franchises this generation has been the Uncharted franchise. Just an awesome and fun game. Very cinematic too. So when they announced they were making an Uncharted movie it seemed logical and I was excited.

Lo and behold though, they hire on David O. Russell to direct. Now, it seems he has no clue what he's doing. In an interview, Russell was asked why he got on board with Uncharted. His response: cause he likes how it centers around the family.

WHAT?! Has this guy even played the game? There's no family that the franchise centers around. Couple that with previous talks about Wahlberg (Mr. No Personality) playing Nathan Drake (all personality) and this one is going down the drain quick. Reading the Russell interview just makes it sound worse, like the movie is in very poor hands. You can read the full interview below.

http://filmwatch.com/news/697377/unc...vie-update/com

can't someone make a GOOD adaptation of a video game
No, no they cannot. I think the reason most (all) video game adaptations fail is because video games are, by their nature, an interactive experience. The player is completely involved in how the story progresses and what the outcome is. A film version would be like if someone recorded their gameplay and then played it back for you later. Without that personal involvement and control, you're really not going to care. You're not personally invested in it like you are when you're actually playing it. You may notice the stunning visuals and effects, the soundtrack, whatever, but you will never be as into it as you are when you're controlling it yourself.

King of Couch Potatoes
No, no they cannot. I think the reason most (all) video game adaptations fail is because video games are, by their nature, an interactive experience. The player is completely involved in how the story progresses and what the outcome is. A film version would be like if someone recorded their gameplay and then played it back for you later. Without that personal involvement and control, you're really not going to care. You're not personally invested in it like you are when you're actually playing it. You may notice the stunning visuals and effects, the soundtrack, whatever, but you will never be as into it as you are when you're controlling it yourself.
I'd agree with that on most occasions. However, I think Uncharted is a bit different. Uncharted has a good story to hold it together and it's very cinematic. The movie would practically makes itself (of course Russell has to screw it up). I think it's the things you don't control (the story, the characters, dialog, etc) that really draws one in with Uncharted. My girlfriend used to love watching me play through that. She'd sit there watching it like a movie.

True that video game adaptations are hard. Uncharted was a really good game I am curious about the film, but to be honest one of my favourite games were the Prince of Persia: the sands trilogy and Max Payne 1-2 however I had really big expectations for both and they were done with decent budgets and you were hoping that they won't screw up but at the end you just see the title and a couple of characters and nothing I mean nothing like the game. Max Payne(the game) for instance it probably has the best storyline ever. I wasn't going to be mad if they did it shot by shot really it would've made more sense Prince of Persia I don't wanna even start seriously. Uncharted has again this film like scenario so if they keep it close and don't wander too far away it might turn out to be quite good. We'll see

btw Kasper I totally agree about Nathan Filion

I'm not old, you're just 12.
I disagree that Mark Wahlberg is a poor actor. Watch him in The Departed. He owns every scene he's in, flat out stealing them from more acclaimed actors like Leeonardo DiCaprio, Matt Damon, Martin Sheen, and Alec Baldwin. And I've heard he's brilliant in The Fighter.

I don't have a PS3, and I've never played Uncharted. That said, I'm voting that there should be no more video game movies ever, by not going to see it. If more people did this, we wouldn't have had 4 Resident Evil films that nobody liked but went to see just to complain about them...

https://shawnsmovienight.blogspot.com/

King of Couch Potatoes
I disagree that Mark Wahlberg is a poor actor. Watch him in The Departed. He owns every scene he's in, flat out stealing them from more acclaimed actors like Leeonardo DiCaprio, Matt Damon, Martin Sheen, and Alec Baldwin. And I've heard he's brilliant in The Fighter.

I don't have a PS3, and I've never played Uncharted. That said, I'm voting that there should be no more video game movies ever, by not going to see it. If more people did this, we wouldn't have had 4 Resident Evil films that nobody liked but went to see just to complain about them...
HAHAHA Mark Wahlberg stealing scenes? From DiCaprio and/or Damon no less? NO chance. I've seen the movie. That's not even remotely the case. All he does is tend to scream in his whiny voice from time to time. He's not the worst actor, but he has next to no personality and no range whatsoever.

And The Fighter? First, the movie is just a tad bit overrated. Secondly, Wahlberg does nothing to boost the acting in that movie. He turns in the same performance that he turns in in every movie. Switch his 'The Fighter' character with his character in 'Invincible' or 'The Other Guys' or 'The Perfect Storm' (and so on and so on) and you have the exact same movie.

Brilliant is something I would NEVER call Wahlberg's acting. It's almost like saying Arnold's acting in Terminator was brilliant. No it wasn't, it's just that he's a stiff, robotic, no-personality guy, thus all he had to do was throw on some sunglasses, hop on a motorcycle and be himself. That's not brilliant acting.

Brilliant acting was Bale in The Fighter. It was him, with the help of some of the other supporting cast members, that held that movie up.

Oh, and I didn't hate the Resident Evil movies.

I read that interview the other day and almost sh*t myself, how can he destroy the movie so easily?

Family centered? WTF? I don't want this to be some dumb family caper film, the Uncharted games are excellent and if the story and characters get butchered in the making of the film, then the movie is tanking and gamers will revolt.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Marky Mark is a bad match for this character. Drake is sarcastic and energetic...Marky Mark is too much of an introvert.

Russell is a good director, but I think this type of film is out of his range. My dream cast would have been Nathan Fillion has Drake and Bruce Campbell as Sully.

The 2nd game is really amazing.

Suspect's Reviews

King of Couch Potatoes
Marky Mark is a bad match for this character. Drake is sarcastic and energetic...Marky Mark is too much of an introvert.

Russell is a good director, but I think this type of film is out of his range. My dream cast would have been Nathan Fillion has Drake and Bruce Campbell as Sully.

The 2nd game is really amazing.
I never got on that Nathan Fillion bandwagon. Just wouldn't be my top choice for some reason. That being said, I wouldn't have minded if he got the role. And he'd be infinitely better suited for it than Wahlberg.

This one's kind of an "out there" choice, but I would be interested to see James Roday try to tackle the Nathan Drake role. Or maybe Jensen Ackles. Or even an unknown.

As for others, director: Sorry, Russell has nothing that truly impresses me in his filmography. I would've liked to see Robert Zemeckis do it. I mean Romancing the Stone comes about as close to Uncharted as you can get (maybe even more so than Indiana Jones--or at least just as close). And he's a good director.

Or if not him, then Richard Donner. He's not doing anything right now. Goonies meets Lethal Weapon could make for a nice formula for Uncharted.

Sully: I could go for Bruce Campbell playing the role. The name that immediately pops to mind for me, though, when thinking Sully is JK Simmons. I think he would be great it that role.

Elena: Should be no other than Elena herself (Emily Rose).

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Fillion has the looks, the charisma and the talent. The guy was a great match for Drake. Watch Serenity or Firefly to see what I'm talking about.

I read speculation that the 3rd game may centre around 'family' to which Russell was referring to. Wahlberg is a dud choice, yeah he's ok The Departed but he's just shouting and be sarcastic. I hope Hollywood facepalm big time when they realise they should have cast Fillion.

I got for good luck my black tooth.
Jeff Bridges as Sully. I don't think he'd want to take the role, but he'd be perfect.