Valentine's Day Movie Suggestions for Single People

Tools    

Everywhere you get advice about nice romantic films to watch as a couple, but what if you're on your own this year, brooding over the lack of romance in your life and envying the loved-up couples that seem to be everywhere?

Suggestions please.

Welcome to the human race...
I was thinking of watching John Carpenter movies this year, but I didn't get around to it. I say Carpenter because I tried thinking of the ultimate "anti-Valentine's Day" movie and came up with The Thing.

Movies about loneliness, heartbreak or isolation? How about Naked, Taxi Driver, Repulsion, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Moon, Never Cry Wolf, Umberto D., The Passenger, Cléo from 5 to 7, The Station Agent, Happy-Go-Lucky, 3 Women, Blast of Silence, Bad Timing and Rachel, Rachel?
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

I got for good luck my black tooth.
Ghost World would be perfect, as it's all about loners who can't find the relationships they're looking for. Rushmore is a great tale of unrequited love. Two-Lane Blacktop is a story of two emotionally challenged men who can only relate to each other and the strain placed upon their relationship when a desirable young girl enters their lives (Plus Warren Oates as GTO...one of the great movie loners of all time). Kill Bill, Vol. 1 would probably be a good antidote to any romance that might be in the air.

Sexy's Singles Night Recommendations:

Away From Her

Gordon Pinsent takes his wife and love of his life, Julie Christie, to an institution because she's developing Alzheimer's Disease. Because her memories of her life with her husband are being washed away by the disease, Julie shacks up with another man at the institution, unaware that she's cheating right in front of her dear husband's eyes.

Watch this on Valentine's Day and realize how lucky you are to not have somebody to call your own -- nobody's gonna get Alzheimer's and cheat on you without a care in the world about it.

Bachelor Party

Right now, there's no plans for you to have one in the future. Sit back, relax and party with Tom Hanks and the rest of the boys while you worry about other things besides your last day as a single man -- you have plenty more of that.

Contact

Jodie Foster gives hope to those of us unsuccessful with securing a Valentine on Earth by traveling to another galaxy to hopefully find romantic aliens.

The Exorcist

Why you don't need a woman in your bed.

Hocus Pocus

Bette Midler sings and you can pretend today is a different holiday.

Lars and the Real Girl

A. Ryan Gosling
B. Ryan Gosling's solution to loneliness.
C. Oh, god, a ******* doll is better off than I am.

Anything with this guy

Chioyoko-san spends her ENTIRE LIFE looking for her ideal man, who she only meets in person on two occasions, which is apparently enough to fuel her search.

I'm sure single people can see the beautiful metaphor here.

Also, the film summarizes about half a century of Japanese cinema in one fell swoop with tons of homages Kurosawa, Ozu and the other big names and classics. It's got your fantasy/reality blurring typical to all of Kon's work and of course his muted art style. I never fail to be greatly moved by this film.

my god, r.i.p. Satoshi Kon

I'm alone but, you know it isn't the end of the world It was just another working day for me