How important is an accent?

Tools    

What about Gone with the Wind?

I can think of quite a few others.
Which of the many accents in GWTW didn't you like?

Accents were about the only interesting thing in Coustner's Robin Hood saga, where seemingly all of the "bad" guys were played by British actors with real British accents and all the "good" guys were Americans with American accents.
That's what I first thought of when I read this thread's title. What's funniest to me is that Costner just ditches the attempt about 1/3 of the way through.

Also terribly bad was Keanu's attempt at an English accent in Bram Stoker's Dracula. He's wooden most of the time anyway but when he's self conscious about what he sounds like he's almost petrified wooden.

I want to be like Mark when I grow up though. I have to stop letting this kind of minutae bug me so much and just go with it.

miz scahlet, miz scahlet i don't know nuthin 'bout birthin' no baby!!
That's probably the one "accent" that wasn't faked. Butterfly McQueen just had a terribly irritating voice! Now maybe that dialogue could have been improved, but the sound was pure Butterfly.

Considering that most movie watchers aren't Henry Higgins, I don't see why you should especially care one way or another about accents or the lack thereof. There are just so many accents within small areas, let alone full countries, that at what point do you draw a line to say whether an accent is good enough? Besides that, how do you know? Isn't there something better for you to spend your time watching in the movie? I realize that some people are easily taken out of movies by all kinds of anachronisms and anomolies, but if you like movies, you should be able to laugh over something seemingly-bad and then move on with the movie.
There are some accents that are so bad they're distracting. Meryl Streep's accent in Out of Africa was probably not entirely authentic but it was not distracting. Watch Little Ashes- terrible accent.

Didn't know that.

It's one bit of dialog that's never left my head. I'm more likely to associate that with GWTW than that 'Frankly my dear...' line. Just works for me

i think weird that if there is something that has romans or greeks (Troy for example) then they are played by british actors.
dotn get me wrong i am british and love who's there in hollywood but it still weird

Semper Fooey
That's probably the one "accent" that wasn't faked. Butterfly McQueen just had a terribly irritating voice! Now maybe that dialogue could have been improved, but the sound was pure Butterfly.
It appears from this bizarre song she recorded the accent was a fake, assuming its her natural accent, which has that pre-method drama school sound. She still has that crazy voice.

It appears from this bizarre song she recorded the accent was a fake, assuming its her natural accent, which has that pre-method drama school sound. She still has that crazy voice.
I'm not sure what you're hearing or I'm not hearing, but that sounds like the same voice with the same accent I've always heard from Butterfly in GWTW and other films she made, including some with all black casts. Maybe the music drown out some of the worst of it, but she still has a sound that would make hound dogs howl.

Gone With The Wind needs a remake.

As a huge fan of the novel and movie, I would like to see a remake of this movie..but who the bloody hell would you get to play Scarlett and Rhett? It's bound to be disappointing, whoever they would choose.

Semper Fooey
They did a TV sequel years ago. After twenty minutes I turned it off.

Welcome to the human race...
Reading this thread, I instantly thought of James Coburn's Australian accent in The Great Escape. Hell, I'm probably bound to think that about most Australian accents, even with real Australians.

A person is smart. People are dumb
I must make time to see Gone With The Wind!
It's tricky to put aside three and a half hours, but in my opinion, well worth it.

Another bad accent would be Mel Gibson in Braveheart. I'm Scottish myself, and it's cringeworthy to see an Australian try it:
"Ah luv yoo. Ah've always luved yoo, always wull."
Compare that to Johnny Depp's perfect imitation in Finding Neverland. As has been said, the job of an actor is to become the character. If the character speaks in an accent which the actor cannot or cannot learn, then he or she is not right for the part.

Female Jungle Poster
I don't think it's just movies which are impacted (for better or worse) by character accents.

Hugh Laurie's American accent probably helps to make House that much enjoyably obnoxious for me. (What with me being an American, you know. )

"Exit, pursued by a bear." ~

Accents can be incredibly important. Look at Leonardo DiCaprio, he has a moderately high voice which makes it difficult to take him seriously in overly dramatic roles.

How do you combat this? Slap on an accent to mask it: Blood Diamond, The Departed etc.

Semper Fooey
How about Dr.Zhivago? Everyone is suppose to be Russian but the mostly British cast sound British, Rod Steiger sounds like Rod Steiger, and Omar Sharif sounds like he just rode in on his camel.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
This is the thing. I was just watching a French film, in French, and then in the Special Features, a French actress discussed how the French director worked with her on what French accent her French character was to use. You see, even the French can speak their own language using the wrong accent depending on who the character is supposed to be and where she comes from. I doubt if many people who don't speak French understand this or care, so I just don't care that much about accents in general. There are too many other things to pay attention to in a film.

Reading this thread, I instantly thought of James Coburn's Australian accent in The Great Escape. Hell, I'm probably bound to think that about most Australian accents, even with real Australians.
We have accents!