Who are the scariest villains of fiction?

Tools    

The four fascists from Salo?
Totally agree.
It still gives me chills, when I visualize them.

A system of cells interlinked
I'm with Nurse Ratched, as well. So memorable.

Also:

To me, the scariest villains of fiction in the movies are the ones you never see, or never get a good look at, if the film manages to pull it off believably. Regarding genuine terror in film, it's all about imagination and interpretation. And, with that in mind, the unseen presence--the demon--from Paranormal Activity and the Blair Witch from The Blair Witch Project are my Number One and Two picks.

You have to hand it to the crawlers in The Descent, however; they managed to make me jump in my seat more than once.

My Movie Review Thread | My Top 100

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Good for you. Have you watched The Exorcist? (The original, not "The Version You've Never Seen"?)

Yes, at least I'm pretty sure it's the original. Whatever version was released with the standard edition DVD; I'd have to check. Is the latter some sort of director's cut or something?

I just checked and I do have the "Version You've Never Seen Before." I love the movie, and would consider it scary--unsettling really--but not among the scariest to me. I'll have to look into the original, though, if it's something you recommend.

Semper Fooey
That Blair Witch didn't do anything for me. I don't see how you can say she's a scary villain since we really don't know what the heck is going on or who or what is responsible.

That Blair Witch didn't do anything for me. I don't see how you can say she's a scary villain since we really don't know what the heck is going on or who or what is responsible.
All the lore that goes with her back-story; the morbid history of her character that we learn through Heather's interviews is what invokes creepiness in me, and if we do assume that it is indeed the Blair Witch causing the events in the film (the stick figures, rock piles, kidnapping Josh, etc.), then yeah--I think she's a genuinely scary character despite us never actually having seen her.

Plus what honeykid said.

Semper Fooey
I'll take the guy we don't see driving the truck over the witch we don't see.
&feature=related

I completely agree with you guys. Signs is another good example of the unseen frightener. Until the end, with the water and a satisfying baseball bat beat-down, we're doing the most scaring in our heads.
Are villians we can see as frightening as their unseen counter-parts?

Semper Fooey

The scary villian in this picture is not the scarey looking man, but the toy doll. You better be nice to her!

Semper Fooey
It's because a lot people did think that fish was scary Steven Spielberg is still making movies.

a fish is scary?
sorry.
I've gotta go with viddy on this one. I love Jaws, it's possibly my favourite film of all time, it's certainly in my top 5, but I've never found that film scary. Ever. Not even when I was 8 and saw it for the first time. Never.