20th Hall of Fame

Tools    

@edarsenal @Frightened Inmate No. 2 @neiba @Siddon

You might want to hold off on watching Rear Window. It's still in the HoF for right now, and I'm hoping John Connor finishes....But I checked and he hasn't been online for 2 weeks and has only made 1 post in the last 4 weeks. And he hasn't finished the song tournament he was in either.
Too bad if he doesn’t finish, Rear Window is a strong contender for the win

Too bad if he doesn’t finish, Rear Window is a strong contender for the win
I hope he comes back, he's a cool guy and I've had good conversations with him. So I'll keep my fingers crossed.

I'm torn on him coming back, because I feel like if we are going to do a directors series of Hall's Hitchcock is definitely one of the first up guys in my eyes and I would love for Rear Window to be one of the picks.

So The Squid and the Whale and Rear Window are both maybe's right now?

I'm torn on him coming back, because I feel like if we are going to do a directors series of Hall's Hitchcock is definitely one of the first up guys in my eyes and I would love for Rear Window to be one of the picks.

Well, Frightened Inmate just confirmed he's still in a day ago, so I think it's safe to give Squid and the Whale a watch.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
@edarsenal @Frightened Inmate No. 2 @neiba @Siddon

You might want to hold off on watching Rear Window. It's still in the HoF for right now, and I'm hoping John Connor finishes....But I checked and he hasn't been online for 2 weeks and has only made 1 post in the last 4 weeks. And he hasn't finished the song tournament he was in either.
Thanks for the heads up.
Hopefully he comes back and, regardless, Rear Window IS a film I need to finally watch, so I'll leave it for last and may watch it all the same.

Thanks for the heads up.
Hopefully he comes back and, regardless, Rear Window IS a film I need to finally watch, so I'll leave it for last and may watch it all the same.
I surprised you hadn't seen it before...But yeah it's a great movie with a cool concept and Grace Kelly looks like a million bucks in it. Totally worth watching, regardless of it's status in the HoF.

I surprised you hadn't seen it before...But yeah it's a great movie with a cool concept and Grace Kelly looks like a million bucks in it. Totally worth watching, regardless of it's status in the HoF.
It I surprising, sometimes, the number of films I SHOULD have seen and still haven't.
One of the bonuses bif these HOFs is getting to see some of them.

It I surprising, sometimes, the number of films I SHOULD have seen and still haven't.
One of the bonuses bif these HOFs is getting to see some of them.
I hear ya bro! I only seen The Godfather for the first time when it was nominated in the Oscar Best Picture Hof that Raul hosted. One of the best things for me about HoFs is seeing some of these critically acclaimed films that I somehow missed out on in the past.

Cool Hand Luke(1967) Frank Pierson, Stuart Rosenberg, and most importantly Conrad Hall put together one of the 60's best films. Telling the story of a reprobate who ends up on a chain gang Luke (Paul Newman) slowly takes control away from the officers and becomes a bit of a spiritual leader to the group of men. The first half of the film is really just a collection of scenes, beautifully shot and built around the idea of getting to know the cast of characters. We then get a scene with Luke and his mother and the films makes a fairly dramatic turn. I'm not sure if we're supposed to admire Luke but it's a hell of a tale.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ

I just saw this, if we did directors series I would hope the winner would be void of a nomination in General or Specialty HOFs too.

I just saw this, if we did directors series I would hope the winner would be void of a nomination in General or Specialty HOFs too.
I was always under the impression that a win in either general OR specialty HoF negates a nomination's further admittance, as a rule of thumb.

Yeah but I don't like that rule when it comes to a directors HOF.
Interesting perspective and I definitely see the argument for such.

Question: For other Specialty HoFs, E.G. Pixar HoF, winners were excluded, aka Wall-E, which, as I saw it, would have most likely won as well.
What would be the argument to circumvent this for a powerhouse film that is a previous HoF winner by a specific Director so that it may be included?

This is, as stated, out of intrigue, not out of desire or need to debate.

Interesting perspective and I definitely see the argument for such.

Question: For other Specialty HoFs, E.G. Pixar HoF, winners were excluded, aka Wall-E, which, as I saw it, would have most likely won as well.
What would be the argument to circumvent this for a powerhouse film that is a previous HoF winner by a specific Director so that it may be included?

This is, as stated, out of intrigue, not out of desire or need to debate.
Not directed to me but I'll reply anyway. I kinda agree with the logic that specialty HoFs that have a short and strictly limited list of potential nominations should be exempt from that rule. To me, director and "studio" HoFs (like Pixar) seem to be about finding the best film fitting the chosen criteria so it would feel weird to exempt a film that's already proven itself.

I'd even go as far as suggesting that in such HoFs previous winners from general (or other less restricted) HoFs would automatically be included (i.e. by that logic Wall-E would have been nominated by default in Pixar HoF so there would have been one more film than participants). I actually thought of that while writing this reply but at least for now it feels like a good idea.

I think the answer to what Raul, Ed and Pahak said, would be to call a 'Directors HoF' something other than HoF. Call it something like Director Series, or something catchy. Then change up the rules and procedures to keep things fresh. For example a Hitchcock Director Series, would have members nominating what they believe is the best of Hitch films. Then instead of a private voting ballot being sent to the host, each member after watching the movie would rate it with the popcorn system. At the end, the ratings would be added up for a preliminary ranking of the films....But here's where it gets interesting: to determine the final winner the members (and other MoFos) would debate the merits of the top 5 films (as rated by the members in their reviews)...then after discussion an open voting ballot would be posted by the members, then points tallied and a winner declared.

I'd be happy to host the 1st Director Series round, featuring Hitchcock. I even have an empty post on the HoF thread where the records of the Director Series winners could go.