Best Use of Color

Tools    

RIP www.moviejustice.com 2002-2010
Originally Posted by Holden Pike
Randomly...

Vertigo (1958 - Hitchcock)

That was going to be my answer, along with Barry Lyndon

Yeah Vertigo is great, I love the fog filters he uses especially at the cemetary and just before Novak's fall into the bay. And yes the Redwood scene is a great one too.

http://www.movieforums.com/community...ad.php?t=26201

The Devil's Backbone:
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	diablo1.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	70.1 KB
ID:	3087   Click image for larger version

Name:	diablo2.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	3088   Click image for larger version

Name:	diablo3.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	3089   Click image for larger version

Name:	diablo4.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	3090  

I liked Burton's use of color (and lack thereof) in Sleepy Hollow. I loved the old 'black & white' feel with the vivid red & oranges thrown in for effect. I also dug the blues in the snow scenes.

Bug Planet Proximus
Hero
as well as having the best use of colour, it uses it the most magnificently in fight scenes.

Schindlers list - the red girl that appears
Secret of Nihm
The Matrix
Minority report
seven

The cook, the thief, his wife, and her lover.
Peter Greenaway makes wierd films. He was also a artist I think, then moved to film.

Saving Private Ryan has a unique color thing going on. I'll probably get more later.
And found he was eating his shoe.

I'll third Black Narcissus, which I only saw for the first time a few weeks ago.

Someone mentioned Tim Burton's Sleepy Hollow, but for me the better choice would be Edward Scissorhands.

Standing in the Sunlight, Laughing
Kandinsky's Trois Colours, in particular Bleu:
this detail: and the blue light that dances around Binoche's head when her character is remembering her husband. Both really deepen the scene.

Color is also well-used by Frances Ford Coppola in The Godfather trilogy, both to set the time and atmosphere, and to add a sense of protection in holding to the social structures of the Old World:

I don't think it's been mentioned so I'll say FINDING NEMO had the most lovely colors. The color of the ocean combined with the beautiful tropical fish made it stunning to watch, not to mention it's one of the best animated films ever.

Moulin Rouge, the colour is a supporting character, wonderful. Gives me goosebumps.

The Last Samurai, the colours in the battle sequence are fantastic, especially the blossom.

American Beauty

Everything Tim Burton has done...

INCLUDING - BATMAN. He's the king of night movies. Amazing use of imagery.

Big Fish was also quite vivid.

Akira Kurosawa's collection of short films, Dreams. Especially the Peach Orchid. Kick ass colors for a kick ass short that kicks ass.

i'd have to agree with Ulysses Everett McGill, about Tim Burton's movies; and What Dreams May Come, had some astounding color in it as well.

Vanilla Sky. I love how everything sort of looks like the painting.
"What you have lost will not be returned to you. It will always be lost. You're left with only your scars to mark the void. All you can choose to do is go on or not. But if you go on, it's knowing you carry your scars with you." -Charles Frazier

"I would kill someone in front of their own mama for a ten speed. And if anyone testifies against me I'll gouge their eyes out."

May The Forks be With Us
even though it is fairly new and not all of u have seen it.. i think. but i think the award should go to (drum role) ...... HERO!! spectacular use of color, cinematography was great, and the acting was phenominal

Bad Morther****er
I couldn't write this post without first saying Wizard of Oz. Next, though I didn't really like the movie, I would say Pleasantville. Last I'll say Hero, this movie is just so visually stunning that I had to see it twice.
Justice will be served/ And the battle will rage/ This big dog will fight/ When you rattle his cage/ And you’ll be sorry that you messed with the U.S. of A./ Cause we`ll put a boot in your ass/ It`s the American way.
Courtesy Of The Red, White & Blue - Toby Keith

I think in terms of symbolism, colour ("color" for all non-aussies ) was used very beautifully and effectively in both Mulholland Dr. (2001) and Eyes Wide Shut (1999) . I was especially taken by the vividness of the Blues, Reds and Yellows within both movies.

I also really liked the use of colour in One Hour Photo (2002) and I think someone mentioned Amelie (2001) . I completely agree.