Watchmen Dilemma

Tools    

I got an idea - get him a kids video. This movie isn't one.

I think the Watchmen is a masterpiece - but for reasons a nine year old (regardless how smart) will not understand.

Rent him a Spiderman movie or something. Aside from the flashing lights and costumes, Watchmen has nothing to offer children.

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
Well, I believe Tim said he rethought the violence part after remembering the prison scene, and I'd agree with that. Some of the violence is cartoonish, but some of it is quite brutal.
Out of all the violence, Rorshach's first case might be the worst out of all of them. Of course, most of the violence is implied and not visibly seen as is the prison scene.

Seeing a pair of boobs does even out the amount of penis he'll be seeing at least.
Well played, sir.
"I was walking down the street with my friend and he said, "I hear music", as if there is any other way you can take it in. You're not special, that's how I receive it too. I tried to taste it but it did not work." - Mitch Hedberg

I have a 9 year old son who loves super heroes--of course, he's nine! So I rented Watchmen to watch with my husband the other night, and he saw the cover and wanted to watch it really, really badly.

Now let me tell you my son-- we'll call him Seth-- is a GATE student, meaning he's a gifted child; he's in the 4th grade but his intelligence and abilities are way beyond that. I'm sure he'd get the whole idea behind the movie and what it means, what it represents.

My dilemma is this: There is a really strong sex scene (for a 9 year old) in the movie and I'm not sure if I should let him watch it. I really don't want to send Seth out of the room as soon as it comes on. I don't think that's fair!

The violence isn't really that bad--normal comic book violence if you ask me--I can explain that, but what about that scene? There's another sex scene toward the beginning that's kinda iffy too.

I think if I were to burn a copy to my computer, I could edit out the scenes or cut them down a bit. The more graphic sex scene is kind of important to the plot, but not really. I could edit it to show them kissing or something in the beginning of the act, then ask him. I don't know.

On the other hand, I really don't want to edit the director's work just so Seth can watch it. It's censorship isn't it? It's not my movie.

I think I might edit out the one part and let him watch it, but if I start doing that, there are a few other movies that I think he should watch too, and I might go on a censoring craze!
Im a Watchmen fan and it was complete money, but its a bad pick for a 9 year old. The psychopathic gore displayed by Rorscharch and the Comedian (who arttempted rape) outweigh any benefits the movie could bring to a kid. Too hard, and too much. I read the comic series (it rocked) but a 9 year old might be bored due to the dated artwork. So the movie really isnt that good by alot of folks standards that never read the comic. So its not worth the work basically, and assuredly better R rated films you could edit/watch are out there. No Im not a parent and dont mean to come across haughty.

Why do you want him to watch Watchmen?

Depends completely on whether you think your child will understand and/or be scared by it. I saw all kinds of stuff and a very young age and I genuinely believe that it did me no harm at all. I'd think your child is more likely to be embarrassed by watching the sex scene with his parent(s) in the same room as anything else, but then, I don't know you or your child, so I guess you really shouldn't take any notice of any of this.

Are you dissin' Cohen's Hallelujah?
Well Stone Cold's WWF intro music was probably a better fit.

To reporter , I would never show this to a nine year old.

1. It's 3 hours long
2. Excessively violent and full of glamorized sex - for Snyder's Sake (SS)
3. Should be read first
4. It's definitely not the super-hero movie your son's expecting

This movie begins with a brutal murder. Many more brutal murders take place, including the severing of body parts, the implied rape and murder of a little girl who is then cut up and fed to dogs, the resultant brutal vengeance killing dished out by our “hero” in the mask, an attempted rape scene, a “hero” who blows people up into little pieces, and the shooting of a pregnant woman in the head.

Torture, rape, murder. Of yeah, and child murder. Hmmmmmm?

And the theme – killing millions with a “nuclear” holocaust and then giving a rationalization behind it to make it OK.

The concepts of this film are dark and twisted and the original story was written by a weird little troll of a guy who crawled out from under a rock.

It is a great work of film and a technical masterpiece – but no child is going to note these "film making" elements.

I repeat - this movie has nothing to offer children other than highly negative input into their sensitive young minds.