1940's Hall Of Fame Part I

Tools    

I really don't know anything about Veronica Lake so it weirds me out when she is discussed. As i said the other day after watching Sullivan's Travels (the first time i've watched her acting.)

Even though i've never seen her in anything or could even name a film she's in, i've always been familiar with the name Veronica Lake. I mean from an early age, it's weird because i don't have a clue why this is
Camo, I bet long ago you heard Veronica Lake's name mentioned as being the inspiration for Jessica in Who Framed Roger Rabbit and so that's how you know her name.

We need to see more of Veronica in these Hofs
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Veronica Lake.JPG
Views:	171
Size:	84.5 KB
ID:	27998  

That definitely could be it. I was looking at movies and other forms of media that she has been mentioned in, thought it might have been Shawshank Redemption but that's Rita Hayworth and Raquel Welch.

Man, i love her voice. It's absolutely not what i was expecting her to sound like haha.

I really like Veronica Lake. She was tiny! only 4' 11" and often they paired her with Alan Ladd because he was also short.

I haven't seen too many of her movies, I think I've seen 5, liked them all too. I nominated one of her films for the WWII Hof, So Proudly We Hail! (1943)

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
I think I've only seen two Veronica Lake movies and both with Alan Ladd; This Gun for Hire and I Married a Witch. And the second one was back in the nineties so I scarcely remember it.

Camo, if you've watched LA Confidential that may be another mention of Veronica. Kim Basinger plays a "look a like" prostitute.

Murderers Are Among Us/Die Mörder sind unter uns
(1946)
Dir. Wolfgang Staudte
Starring: Hildegard Knef, Ernst Wilhelm Borchert, Robert Forsch

Murderers Are Among Us was the first feature film released in Germany after WW2, and like the other rubble films that followed, reflected the desolate conditions, the loss, and guilt associated with living in post-war Germany. This comes across quite obviously in dialogue throughout the film, particularly in Mertens' drunken (and sober) musings, but since it does suit his character's outlook on life, it doesn't seem too forced.

An early shot of a poster of “beautiful Germany” hung amidst the bombed remains of Berlin sets the tone for a film where contrast plays a major role. I'm a huge fan of heavy contrast and the use of shadows, so I found Staudte's reliance on old German Expressionist techniques to be very aesthetically pleasing. The use of dissolves to emphasize contrasting scenes is a bit jarring at first, but is certainly effective at getting the point across. While I had half forgotten about the plot, the documentary-like view of a ruined Berlin that highlight the unique features of half standing buildings, and the frequent use of projected shadows were visuals that stayed with me in the years since I had last seen this film.

I also appreciated the contrast between the two main characters. Susanne Wallner is a concentration camp survivor, who returns home hoping to rebuild her life and start again new, whereas Dr. Hans Mertens has lost all faith in humanity after serving as a military surgeon, and is content to wallow in the ruins and to avoid contributing to the reconstruction of society. The characters' romance, and the retribution plot are nothing new, but the political and moral messages expressed in this film became the cornerstone of DEFA/East German films, making it an important part of German film history, despite its imperfections.
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Murderers.jpg
Views:	548
Size:	220.5 KB
ID:	27999  

Help! has anybody been able to find Murderers Are Among Us/Die Mörder sind unter uns (1946) any other place than DailyMotion? I'm not at all confident I can watch DailyMotion on the TV. If anyone knows of another link with English subs, PM me.

Nothing good comes from staying with normal people
Got to tell my dad he should keep trying
No, that was in reference to your question about Scott pilgrim. I was responding when you posted the comment about birdcage being your dad's favourite comedy, so I didn't see it until after I posted. I laught my @ss off at birdcage. I think the funniest thing must have been the totally ad-libed moment when Williams bursts into the kitchen and startles the waiter so bad he dropped the tray of food. Originally there was suppose to be a whole bit about the shrimps, an argument heard out into the diningroom or something, but the guy actually got startled so bad he dropped it. Williams then, without missing a beat, simply says "well, forget about the shrimps" and turns on his heels and walk straight back out again. It's little moments like that I love about movies, how something totally random can be used and played off to great effect.

Murderers Among Us

Never heard of this one prior to this Hall of Fame. I found the story a little slow to engage, but the budding romance and setting/era kept me going. I loved the overall look of the movie. I had thought that some of the outdoor scenes looked a tad inauthentic, but I've since read that it was on location filming so what do I know. If I didn't think the story was that engaging to start with, I at least thought the characters were. On the surface, the two leads look like a mismatched couple. They do have a common bond though, and that's their shared inner pain from their experiences, and that's a bond that I appreciated. That made what could seem like an unbelievable love into something extremely believable. Eventually, the story comes full circle with a powerful ending, and it's that ending which makes everything that comes before all the better. I thought it was a very good movie.

Little Foxes

Wow, what a helluva movie.

WARNING: "Specifically" spoilers below
That very ending scene with Davis staring out the window as her daughter, Zan and David run off in the rain. The cold, cruel look she as and then as she slips into shadow. HOLY *****. I truly thought there was more to come, but it was quite an excellent point to end the film.

I've been VERY careful to stay clear of spoilers when writing these reviews. But, dammit, I HAD to mention that one.

Now, back to generalities.
Now, I've only seen a few of Davis' movies including a few in her youth where she played a kind, gentle, naive girl. I have not see this one but I would imagine it was one of them that catapulted her movie persona of a dangerous, take no prisoners kind of woman. Full of guile, charm and still, beneath it all, those quick glimpses of trepidation; just trying to survive. To make her dreams reality. No matter who's neck she must step on.
If it was the first, it at least secured it.

And she is not alone. She has her brothers and a nephew all biting and snapping at the same trough. With a lifetime of familiarity to keep the diabolical game somewhat pleasant among the participants. There are honey-tinged words and cordial etiquette among vipers devouring one another and themselves.

WARNING: "A specific player that needs accolades is" spoilers below
Ben Hubbard played by Charles Dingle who I initially mistook for an old fool that Davis' character Regina needed to bop on the nose like you would a troublesome, over excited dog. Only to discover he is a true, long-time player. Adaptable and very at home in the thick of it.

Not really sure if I needed spoilers for this one but since it is discovered over time, I thought better safe than ruin it for someone who as yet to see him.

Little Foxes
... I have not see this one but I would imagine it was one of them that catapulted her movie persona of a dangerous, take no prisoners kind of woman. Full of guile, charm and still, beneath it all, those quick glimpses of trepidation; just trying to survive...
She had a wide range to her acting that's for sure, and played different types of characters too. But when I think of Bette Davis I think of roles like in The Little Foxes.

I've only seen a few of Davis' movies including a few in her youth where she played a kind, gentle, naive girl.
What other movies did you see her in, Ed?

As i've said before she is my mums favourite actress. I haven't seen her in that much myself though. Unless i'm forgetting something i've only seen her in What Ever Happened To Baby Jane?, The Nanny and Now, Voyager. She was great in all of them.

like camo mentioned, What Ever Happen to Baby Jane, I've also seen The Letter, (been AGES since I saw that one) Jezebel ( which I really love), Petrified Forest with Leslie Howard (she was quite the innocent in that one) and of course All About Eve with the infamous quote: "Fasten your seatbelts, it's going to be a bumpy night!"

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
It doesn't have Bette Davis, but there's a little-seen prequel to The Little Foxes called Another Part of the Forest, also based on a Lillian Hellman play, which is almost as good.

like camo mentioned, What Ever Happen to Baby Jane, I've also seen The Letter, (been AGES since I saw that one) Jezebel ( which I really love), Petrified Forest with Leslie Howard (she was quite the innocent in that one) and of course All About Eve with the infamous quote: "Fasten your seatbelts, it's going to be a bumpy night!"
All good ones too

I was thinking you have meant Petrified Forest when you were talking about a younger more naive Bette.