1970/2004 - You choose the Oscar!

Tools    

1970 Nominees:
Midnight Cowboy, Anne of the Thousand Days, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, Hello, Dolly!, and Z
My Choice: Andrei Rublyov

1971 Nominees:
Patton, Airport, Five Easy Pieces, Love Story, and M*A*S*H
My Choice: Little Big Man

1972 Nominees:
The French Connection, A Clockwork Orange, Fiddler on the Roof, The Last Picture Show, and Nicholas and Alexandra
My Choice: McCabe & Mrs. Miller

1973 Nominees:
The Godfather, Cabaret, Deliverance, Sounder, and Utvandrarna
My Choice: The Godfather

1974 Nominees:
The Sting, American Graffiti, The Exorcist, A Touch of Glass, and Viskningar och rop (Cries & Whispers)
My Choice: American Graffiti

1975 Nominees:
The Godfather: Part II, Chinatown, The Conversation, Lenny, and The Towering Inferno
My Choice: The Godfather: Part II

1976 Nominees:
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, Barry Lyndon, Dog Day Afternoon, Jaws, and Nashville
My Choice: Barry Lyndon

1977 Nominees:
Rocky, All the President’s Men, Bound for Glory, Network, and Taxi Driver
My Choice: Taxi Driver

1978 Nominees:
Annie Hall, The Goodbye Girl, Julia, Star Wars, and The Turning Point
My Choice: Close Encounters of the Third Kind

1979 Nominees:
The Deer Hunter, Coming Home, Heaven Can Wait, Midnight Express, and An Unmarried Woman
My Choice: The Deer Hunter

1980 Nominees:
Kramer vs. Kramer, All That Jazz, Apocalypse Now, Breaking Away, and Norma Rae
My Choice: Alien

1981 Nominees:
Ordinary People, Coal Miner’s Daughter, The Elephant Man, Raging Bull, and Tess
My Choice: Raging Bull

1982 Nominees:
Chariots of Fire, Atlantic City, On Golden Pond, Raiders of the Lost Ark, and Reds
My Choice: Raiders of the Lost Ark

1983 Nominees:
Gandhi, E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial, Missing, Tootsie, and The Verdict
My Choice: Blade Runner

1984 Nominees:
Terms of Endearment, The Big Chill, The Dresser, The Right Stuff, and Tender Mercies
My Choice: The Right Stuff

1985 Nominees:
Amadeus, The Killing Fields, A Passage to India, Places in the Heart, and A Soldier’s Story
My Choice: Amadeus

1986 Nominees:
Out of Africa, The Color Purple, Kiss of the Spider Woman, Prizzi’s Honor, and Witness
My Choice: Brazil

1987 Nominees:
Platoon, Children of a Lesser God, Hannah and Her Sisters, The Mission, and A Room with a View
My Choice:Jean de Florette

1988 Nominees:
The Last Emperor, Broadcast News, Fatal Attraction, Hope and Glory, and Moonstruck
My Choice: The Last Emporer

1989 Nominees:
Rain Man, The Accidental Tourist, Dangerous Liaisons, Mississippi Burning, and Working Girl
My Choice: A Fish Called Wanda

1990 Nominees:
Driving Miss Daisy, Born on the Fourth of July, Dead Poets Society, Field of Dreams, and My Left Foot
My Choice: Driving Miss Daisy

1991 Nominees:
Dances with Wolves, Awakenings, Ghost, The Godfather: Part III, and Goodfellas
My Choice: Goodfellas

1992 Nominees:
The Silence of the Lambs, Beauty and the Beast, JFK, and The Prince of Tides
My Choice: JFK

1993 Nominees:
Unforgiven, The Crying Game, A Few Good Men, Howards End, and Scent of a Woman
My Choice: Unforgiven

1994 Nominees:
Schindler’s List, The Fugitive, In the name of the Father, The Piano, and The Remains of the Day
My Choice: Schindler's List

1995 Nominees:
Forrest Gump, Four Weddings and a Funeral, Pulp Fiction, Quiz Show, and The Shawshank Redemption
My Choice: Léon

1996 Nominees:
Braveheart, Apollo 13, Babe, Il Postino (The Postman), and Sense and Sensibility
My Choice: Braveheart

1997 Nominees:
The English Patient, Fargo, Jerry Maguire, Secrets & Lies, and Shine
My Choice: Sling Blade

1998 Nominees:
Titanic, As Good As It Gets, The Full Monty, Good Will Hunting, and L.A. Confidential
My Choice: L.A. Confidential

1999 Nominees:
Shakespeare in Love, Elizabeth, Saving Private Ryan, The Thin Red Line, and La Vita è bella (Life is Beautiful)
My Choice: Elizabeth

2000 Nominees:
American Beauty, The Cider House Rules, The Green Mile, The Insider, and The Sixth Sense
My Choice: Being John Malkovich

2001 Nominees:
Gladiator, Chocolat, Erin Brockovich, Traffic, and Wo hu cang long (Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon)
My Choice: Dancer in the Dark

2002 Nominees:
A Beautiful Mind, Gosford Park, In the Bedroom, The Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring, and Moulin Rouge!
My Choice: Le Fabuleux destin d'Amélie Poulain (Amélie)

2003 Nominees:
Chicago, Gangs of New York, The Hours, The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers, and The Pianist
My Choice: Chicago

2004 Nominees:
The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King, Lost in Translation, Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World, Mystic River, and Seabiscuit
My Choice: American Splendor
"Today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."

Great idea!

1970 Nominees:
Midnight Cowboy, Anne of the Thousand Days, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, Hello, Dolly!, and Z
My Choice: Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

1971 Nominees:
My Choice: M*A*S*H - while we are at it, give him the OSCAR!

1972 Nominees:
The French Connection, A Clockwork Orange, Fiddler on the Roof, The Last Picture Show, and Nicholas and Alexandra
My Choice: Clockwork Orange

1973 Nominees:

1974 Nominees:
The Sting, American Graffiti, The Exorcist, A Touch of Glass, and Viskningar och rop (Cries & Whispers)
My Choice: American Graffiti

1975 Nominees:
The Godfather: Part II, Chinatown, The Conversation, Lenny, and The Towering Inferno
My Choice: Chinatown

1976 Nominees:
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, Barry Lyndon, Dog Day Afternoon, Jaws, and Nashville
My Choice: One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest

1977 Nominees:
My Choice: Network

1978 Nominees:
My Choice: Annie-Hall

1979 Nominees:
The Deer Hunter, Coming Home, Heaven Can Wait, Midnight Express, and An Unmarried Woman

1980 Nominees:
My Choice: Apocalypse Now

1981 Nominees:

1982 Nominees:
Chariots of Fire, Atlantic City, On Golden Pond, Raiders of the Lost Ark, and Reds

1983 Nominees:
My Choice: Tootsie

1984 Nominees:
Terms of Endearment, The Big Chill, The Dresser, The Right Stuff, and Tender Mercies

1985 Nominees:
Amadeus, The Killing Fields, A Passage to India, Places in the Heart, and A Soldier’s Story

1986 Nominees:
Out of Africa, The Color Purple, Kiss of the Spider Woman, Prizzi’s Honor, and Witness
My Choice: The Color Purple

1987 Nominees:
Platoon, Children of a Lesser God, Hannah and Her Sisters, The Mission, and A Room with a View
My Choice:Platoon

1988 Nominees:
The Last Emperor, Broadcast News, Fatal Attraction, Hope and Glory, and Moonstruck

1989 Nominees:
Rain Man, The Accidental Tourist, Dangerous Liaisons, Mississippi Burning, and Working Girl
My Choice: Rain Man

1990 Nominees:
Driving Miss Daisy, Born on the Fourth of July, Dead Poets Society, Field of Dreams, and My Left Foot
My Choice: Born on the Fourth of July

1991 Nominees:
My Choice: Dances With Wolves

1992 Nominees:
My Choice: Silence of the Lambs

1993 Nominees:

1994 Nominees:
Schindler’s List, The Fugitive, In the name of the Father, The Piano, and The Remains of the Day

1995 Nominees:
Forrest Gump, Four Weddings and a Funeral, Pulp Fiction, Quiz Show, and The Shawshank Redemption
My Choice: Forrest Gump

1996 Nominees:
Braveheart, Apollo 13, Babe, Il Postino (The Postman), and Sense and Sensibility
My Choice: Sense and Sensibility

1997 Nominees:
My Choice: Fargo

1998 Nominees:
Titanic, As Good As It Gets, The Full Monty, Good Will Hunting, and L.A. Confidential
My Choice: L.A. Confidential

1999 Nominees:
Shakespeare in Love, Elizabeth, Saving Private Ryan, The Thin Red Line, and La Vita è bella (Life is Beautiful)
My Choice: Elizabeth

2000 Nominees:
American Beauty, The Cider House Rules, The Green Mile, The Insider, and Sixth Sense
My Choice: Sixth Sense

2001 Nominees:
Gladiator, Chocolat, Erin Brockovich, Traffic, and Wo hu cang long (Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon)
My Choice: Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon

2002 Nominees:
A Beautiful Mind, Gosford Park, In the Bedroom, The Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring, and Moulin Rouge!
My Choice: LOTR: FOTR

2003 Nominees:
Chicago, Gangs of New York, The Hours, The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers, and The Pianist

2004 Nominees:
The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King, Lost in Translation, Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World, Mystic River, and Seabiscuit
My Choice: LOTR: ROTK

btw -- I selected mine from only the films nominated, I'll put another selection out of all movies later, it will just take a little while to figure out all the movies in a year -- which one is best

there's a frog in my snake oil
Originally Posted by The Silver Bullet
Isn't this just a favourite movie by year thread?
I think it's more like a we're-better-than-the-oscars-panel thread. Far superior

I selected mine from the oscar nominations

1970 Nominees:
My Choice: Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

1971 Nominees:
My Choice: Five Easy Pieces

1972 Nominees:
My Choice: A Clockwork Orange

1973 Nominees:

1974 Nominees:
My Choice: The Exorcist

1975 Nominees:
My Choice: Chinatown

1976 Nominees:
My Choice: One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest

1977 Nominees:
My Choice: Taxi Driver

1978 Nominees:
My Choice: Star Wars

1979 Nominees:

1980 Nominees:
My Choice: Apocalypse Now

1981 Nominees:

1982 Nominees:

1983 Nominees:
My Choice: E.T.

1984 Nominees:

1985 Nominees:

1986 Nominees:
My Choice: The Color Purple

1987 Nominees:
My Choice:Platoon

1988 Nominees:

1989 Nominees:
My Choice: Rain Man

1990 Nominees:
My Choice: Dead Poets Society

1991 Nominees:
My Choice: Goodfellas

1992 Nominees:
My Choice: The Silence of the Lambs

1993 Nominees:

1994 Nominees:

1995 Nominees:
My Choice: Pulp Fiction

1996 Nominees:
My Choice: Braveheart

1997 Nominees:
My Choice: Fargo

1998 Nominees:
My Choice: As Good As It Gets

1999 Nominees:
My Choice: Saving Private Ryan

2000 Nominees:
American Beauty, The Cider House Rules, The Green Mile, The Insider, and Sixth Sense
My Choice: American Beauty

2001 Nominees:
My Choice: Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon

2002 Nominees:
My Choice: Gosford Park

2003 Nominees:

2004 Nominees:
My Choice: Mystic River

Originally Posted by The Silver Bullet
Isn't this just a favourite movie by year thread?
Yeah, I guess it is. Whaddaya know? Go ahead and merge them, bullet m'boy.