Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

It is building to the Tate murder . . . hence why the climax is
WARNING: spoilers below
the attack by the Family. Polanski is out of town, she is pregnant, the group eats dinner at the Mexican restaurant, etc. The murders are clearly intended as the climax of the film-it's why the movie gives us sequences with Tate, makes Tate Rick's neighbor, and also includes Cliff crossing paths with the Family. The whole thing is leading to a convergence at the end of the film--which historically speaking would be the murders. There's even an "ironic" music cue with "Out of Time" playing over Tate's character. Then the actual event is swapped out for the Hollywood version where the Family ends up at the house next door.

And if you consider the events of the end of the film to be a "footnote," than what do you think the climax is?
all those scenes of crossing paths with manson was just to introduce us to the characters so that the ending makes sense rather than have 10 minutes of exposition to explain who they are. The main reason behind the two leads and sharon tate's storyline is to tell about the lives of people who work in film industry. That's the whole point of the movie. It's about the end of golden age of hollywood and not about manson murders or sharon tate's murder.
The film makes a deliberate choice to never even feel like manson's followers are any kind of threat to anybody during the climax. We know all well that brad pitt is coming back to the house after rick dalton cursed at the followers. We know that he is a badass. We know that he kicked the ass of a big muscular manson follower early on. So we know that he is fully capable to taking care of them. The deaths were played as farce.

So the actual climax is not the murders but tate inviting rick dalton into the house.

all those scenes of crossing paths with manson was just to introduce us to the characters so that the ending makes sense rather than have 10 minutes of exposition to explain who they are. The main reason behind the two leads and sharon tate's storyline is to tell about the lives of people who work in film industry. That's the whole point of the movie. It's about the end of golden age of hollywood and not about manson murders or sharon tate's murder.
The film makes a deliberate choice to never even feel like manson's followers are any kind of threat to anybody during the climax. We know all well that brad pitt is coming back to the house after rick dalton cursed at the followers. We know that he is a badass. We know that he kicked the ass of a big muscular manson follower early on. So we know that he is fully capable to taking care of them. The deaths were played as farce.

So the actual climax is not the murders but tate inviting rick dalton into the house.
Agree to disagree, I guess.

I see that last moment as the denouement. A climax is the moment of most tension and the peak of the intensity, the point at which you transition from rising action to falling action. To me, that's the fight in the house.

You say "the end of the golden age of Hollywood" and "Sharon Tate's murder" as if they are completely independent entities. But many people merge those two things, at least on an emotional level.

If you are even slightly aware of the historical setting of the film, then you know that it is laying down the path to Tate's murder. Again: the film deliberately shows the actual timeline of the night she was killed: Polanski out of town, friends over, she is very pregnant, they eat at the Mexican restaurant, etc. Unless you're going to say that you anticipated that
Tarantino would choose the very last moment to shift into his alternate history, you would be expecting the murders to happen. And as such, the Family are a threat. Maybe not as much to Cliff. But to a less tough group of people: yes. Most of the power of the final sequence comes from the contrast: the Family getting their butts kicked in an over-the-top fashion exists in a necessary contrast to what we all know really happened: the brutal stabbing death of a very pregnant woman and several of her friends. That brazen rewriting of history is the film's punchline, not a mere footnote.

And if that contrast wasn't the point, why introduce Tate at all and have us spend so much time with her? Why not just have the sequences where Cliff flirts with the hippie chick, goes to the ranch, etc?

Batman & Robin (1997)

Law enforcement fascists vs. corporate green poison ivy new deal.
Best batman to watch, even tho nobody thinks that.

+

Bone Thug

Fight Club (1999)

Chips fall where they may

Your Animal

Enola Holmes (2020) - 6.5/10. Thoroughly enjoyable during this Covid-19 times. Loved the dry humour. The little lady acted really well. It is no classic but on Netflix, idle weekend, you cant have too many complaints about it. Although, I have to say Henry Cavill as Sherlock is a bit of a miscast! And I do think they have left the movie hanging for a sequel. I wont be surprised if this gets a good reception, there would be another one next year or the year after.

Funny Cow (Adrian Shergold, 2017)

Tragi-comedy that may not hit the mark all the time but is nicely acted imo

Department Q : The Absent One (2014) - 6.2/10. The movie is a bit melodramatic compared to the last one in the series. The series does maintain its pace and intensity for this one too. But I would say it is a little weaker then the previous one or probably at the same level, depending on the mood. Worth a watch,Definitely. Memorable, No.

Thanks - have a lot of time for Maxine Peake and she was ably supported by both Tony Pitts and Paddy Considine. In fact it took me a little while to realise that was Paddy Considine playing Angus.

Unregistered User
Thanks - have a lot of time for Maxine Peake and she was ably supported by both Tony Pitts and Paddy Considine. In fact it took me a little while to realise that was Paddy Considine playing Angus.

I read your first post as First Cow, not Funny Cow!
Was frantically searching for Paddy Considine in First Cow!

Still glad you enjoyed it though. I'm away back to bed here.

I read your first post as First Cow, not Funny Cow!
Was frantically searching for Paddy Considine in First Cow!

Still glad you enjoyed it though. I'm away back to bed here.
I think perhaps, in light of what you're written, that may be for the best
Schlaft gut!

Annihilation - 7.5/10

Good sci fi film, quite a unique idea and open ending. Not the best sci fi ever but definitely not the worst either.

I'm Thinking of Ending Things (2020)

Well, that was an experience. Not having much experience of Kaufmans stuff (Malkovich and Sunshine), I was looking forward to this being a quirky and challenging film.

It was OK, don't really have anything bad to say about it and cannot claim to fully understand it either, although life, ageing, regret seem to be the main themes. The two main actors are both brilliant and manage to carry the film as a dramatic piece, especially in the travelling scenes where it does get dull and repetitive.

Not half as smart as it thinks it is.

does winslet get naked in this one as well ? ugh
Not that I remember, though maybe, as I was pretty catatonic throughout this!

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Orpheus - 5/10
I thought this was pretty dumb. Aimless. I just hate wasting "movie time capital" on something like this, which will probably ensure its a while before I attempt another movie.

The Mountain Between Us

Found this a pretty turgid watch. It wasn't written at all well and I found the love *connection* side of it frankly predictable and cliched. The performances got it out of a 1 for me.

Agree. Horrible movie.

she's done it so many times...so now its ugh
Maybe it’s “ugh” to you, but she’s still beautiful.

I'm Thinking of Ending Things (2020)

... don't really have anything bad to say about it and cannot claim to fully understand it either.
All one needs to know is that the girlfriend is imaginary.