Solo: A Star Wars Story

Tools    

Boldly going.
6/10.
Nothing special here.
WARNING: "spoilers" spoilers below
They tried to bring a different side to SW, that of the smuggler's life, but it wasn't enough. I knew going in that The Force wasn't going to be a part of this movie, to paraphrase Solo: "I've been to one side of the galaxy to the other, seen a lot of strange things, but never seen anything that would have me believe in some all-powerful Force." Yet the fantasy side of this saga is what makes it what it is, and to take a huge element like the Force away from it is detrimental. Rogue One gave it a minimal treatment, but the theme still carried throughout. The movie didn't add anything to the saga for me: we already knew that Han got the Falcon in a game from Lando; we already knew that Han could shoot first; we already saw that Han was a great pilot. Finally the movie lacked character development: Han seemed exactly the same at the end as in the beginning (perhaps a little more distrusting of people, but then again, I think he trusted Chewey). The robot was the most interesting character - he died too early. I also don't like it when they bring back a significant character like Darth Maul who was intentionally killed (cut in half, some 20+ years ago), hasn't made a peep since, in an attempt to appease the fans. His very brief appearance really didn't make much sense ... they're probably hoping to have Maul have a bigger role in a future movie, but I'd rather they introduce new, more interesting villain and not somebody who was meant to die. C'mon, are they going to re-assemble Snoke too?

We've gone on holiday by mistake
6/10.
Nothing special here.
WARNING: "spoilers" spoilers below
They tried to bring a different side to SW, that of the smuggler's life, but it wasn't enough. I knew going in that The Force wasn't going to be a part of this movie, to paraphrase Solo: "I've been to one side of the galaxy to the other, seen a lot of strange things, but never seen anything that would have me believe in some all-powerful Force." Yet the fantasy side of this saga is what makes it what it is, and to take a huge element like the Force away from it is detrimental. Rogue One gave it a minimal treatment, but the theme still carried throughout. The movie didn't add anything to the saga for me: we already knew that Han got the Falcon in a game from Lando; we already knew that Han could shoot first; we already saw that Han was a great pilot. Finally the movie lacked character development: Han seemed exactly the same at the end as in the beginning (perhaps a little more distrusting of people, but then again, I think he trusted Chewey). The robot was the most interesting character - he died too early. I also don't like it when they bring back a significant character like Darth Maul who was intentionally killed (cut in half, some 20+ years ago), hasn't made a peep since, in an attempt to appease the fans. His very brief appearance really didn't make much sense ... they're probably hoping to have Maul have a bigger role in a future movie, but I'd rather they introduce new, more interesting villain and not somebody who was meant to die. C'mon, are they going to re-assemble Snoke too?
WARNING: "." spoilers below
The Darth Maul stuff just seems really desperate. Someone will make a pitch meeting spoof of that idea I'm sure.

"What surprise could we inject into this predictable fare, just like we did with Vader in Rogue One"?

"I HAVE IT! Darth Maul!"

"Didn't he clearly die in Menace, you know cut in half, falls down a huge shaft, never shows up again"?

"Don't worry about that, fans love him they won't mind. This will also tie in with the Kenobi movie, you know giving Obi Wan a villain, and one with history"

Rapturous Applause rings around the conference room

WARNING: "." spoilers below
The Darth Maul stuff just seems really desperate. Someone will make a pitch meeting spoof of that idea I'm sure.

"What surprise could we inject into this predictable fare, just like we did with Vader in Rogue One"?

"I HAVE IT! Darth Maul!"

"Didn't he clearly die in Menace, you know cut in half, falls down a huge shaft, never shows up again"?

Rapturous Applause rings around the conference room

New Maul was a Dave Filoni creation. Darth Vader or a shoot Kenobi r Boba or Jabba The Hutt in the trailer would have gotten more buts in the seats. Poor Ron Howard im sure did the best he could.

I did see the film and I did enjoy it. I do have a HUGE question and need to ask someone. I will be vague, I dont want to ruin anything!!

The female, Qi'ra, can you please explain more regarding her future role?? I think I get it but am a bit unsure!! thx

Jon

This might just do nobody any good.
I thought this was a fun watch but it also finally broke this fan bias I’ve had and I’ve accepted that the four new Star Wars movies (holy crap, it’s four?) are exceedingly disposable.

This might just do nobody any good.
Is it weird that I expect to feel as exhausted as most of everyone already seems to be about this property but only after Episode IX comes out and is fine?

Like I’ve invested myself into it but only up to that point.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
Terror of the mouse is real.

Getting OK user reviews to be fair, in a sort of throw away not to be taken too seriously popcorn movie sort of way. Don't think I've seen anyone say they are really glad this movie was made though.

I personally think fans supporting a Boycott having a Star Wars film bomb and crowing about a so called victory seems in poor taste and makes them have no idea that its a sad day to be a fan today then anything that happened in Last Jedi. I think The Stand Alone films are the way to go which may be the Game Of Thrones guys plans only the Villains will be used. I think Disney needs to halt the breaks and stop Trilogy Plans for a while and do Star Wars films every 2 years not every year

Hellloooo Cindy - Scary Movie (2000)
I personally think fans supporting a Boycott having a Star Wars film bomb and crowing about a so called victory seems in poor taste and makes them have no idea that its a sad day to be a fan today then anything that happened in Last Jedi. I think The Stand Alone films are the way to go which may be the Game Of Thrones guys plans only the Villains will be used. I think Disney needs to halt the breaks and stop Trilogy Plans for a while and do Star Wars films every 2 years not every year
I was sad after I saw the force awakens. It had an amazing hype inducing trailer. Whoever made that had real skill. I saw the movie in goldclass. After seeing it I thought it was mediocre. Then slowly I started hating it. Was literally devastated. Thought they had ruined the franchise. Unfortunately I was correct.

If this is now what you’re feeling in relation to solo I can sympathise. If now you are doubting the trajectory of the franchise...I can symphasize.

I had such strong feelings about the force awakens that it was probably one of the catalysts that drew me to joining this movie forum. So you can thank it for that lol.

It is indeed....a sad time for fans of the original.

To be honest I do remember when The Prequels were out and George Made the Changes to the original trilogy and the Fan Base was devided . When Force Awakens came out everyone cheered the movie and While I Liked The Character Of Rey. I Felt like Force Awakens was just a copy of A New Hope. I still think Frazes like George ruined my child hood with The Prequels and dislike did break Lucas interest in Star Wars. So the Fandom created what now has come. Rogue One I felt was the best film because it felt most like a New Chapter in Star Wars and paying homage to it. I think Johnson tried to do something new because J.J Force Awakens seemed a Copy. Last Jedi I really did think Johnson tried to make something new but he messed up and he was devastated with the Backlash.
Solo seems more like Rogue but here its looks to be a Flop. I think Stand Alone films are the way to go and I think Sequels need done like the MCU do make them a new movie every 2 years.

Hellloooo Cindy - Scary Movie (2000)
Rogue ones pretty poor, paper thin, all over the shop in terms of pacing and ultimately unmemorable. Personally I don’t blame Rian Johnson re the last Jedi. I blame Disney. SW is done.

Solo has bombed at the box office haha so pleased, a crappy unlikable character played by an unlikable dude (ford).. gets an origin story, hopefully this will slow down the Star Wars milking process, I certainly not going to watch it.

Solo is not a bad movie and doesnt deserve the Focus of the fan hate. Do remember Kasdan came up with the idea of a younger Solo when Force Awakens was being made. I think Kenobi can and will be green lit cause Disney will think Vader can be in that movie for sure and him in the trailers will get buts in the seat and I can see Episode 9 being Moved to after A Kenobi film

i was unlucky not to be able to see this movie for free 2 days ago since i was travelling to work, but it seems many posts are saying it s just an average film, for me yes i don t like the new direction SW is heading to and i don t like what disney is doing to it...
i just read some user reviews, seems to me many have rated it 6/10, and some people liked it, but many others say it s pointless attempt to milk the franchise, and someone else said that storytelling is nonexistent at disney

Welcome to the human race...
Finally saw it and found it pretty boring. Definitely the weakest of the new films and in the running for the weakest of the whole canon.

Finally saw it and found it pretty boring. Definitely the weakest of the new films and in the running for the weakest of the whole canon.
thank god i didn t force myself to go watch it

Saw it the other day. Its hardly a bad movie. I enjoyed it. Nothing very special about it. And have we come to a point where every film in the Star Wars universe must be seminal or go home? Lets get over ourselves please.

Thought Ehrenreich did a decent enough job. Had the mannerisms down, just didn’t look very much like Ford. But that’s hardly a deal breaker for me. My problem was they wrote him as being a little too naive and clueless. I get that this is the “young” version of him and he is just getting started and hasn’t had any real experience yet. But he felt mostly dopey and out of his league like a child playing an adult character. Clearly theres an arc over the course of the film and you can see where he might wind up the character we know and love by Episode III, but it still felt… weird…

The movie itself, as noted, was solid simple fun. Theres no major flaws or shoot me in the head moments like in Last Jedi but it was very predictable and things flow a little too easily I thought (meeting Chewy, the gang accepting him, etc.) so it comes off fairly safe and unturbulent. But overall Id say it was worth the watch. It helped to go in with pretty low expectations. I found it mildly exceeded them with no real complaints. Interesting that we now have two movies that seem largely built around the concept of fixing minor but famous errors from the original movies (the “flaw” built into the Death Star in Rogue One and now the Kessel Run measured in parsecs in this one). But I do have to say: Darth Maul? WTF?!

thank god i didn t force myself to go watch it
Well if your going in with that kind of attitude about any movie before you see it then you probably shouldnt go. If you are a skeptic going in then you already decided about the film some where in your brain.