JayDee's Movie Musings

→ in
Tools    

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
So we're all for film being subjective and allowing people to have their own individual opinions; until that is it comes to a greatly loved film and then everyone has to love it!

Doesn't surprise me...you gave Deep Rising, Charlie's Angels, The Expendables 2 all higher ratings than the more impressive, on all levels, Mad Max.

No longer care to read essay reviews from someone with obviously bad taste.
Oh no, how will I ever survive without the patronage of someone who has never before posted in this thread and never repped any of my reviews? Oh wait, I think I'll manage

And I'm not saying any of those films are 'better' than Fury Road. If you read my review you'll have seen I was very complimentary and acknowledged how on a technical level there was a lot to admire about Fury Road. But I personally just enjoyed those films you listed more. And with none of them was I relieved to see the end credits roll like I was for Fury Road

Anyway here's a little ditty to send you on your way

Yeah, JayDee, what the hell is wrong with you?

Giving a decent film a decent rating even though someone else didn't like it... that's just not right, man. You should know by now that if a certain amount of people like a movie it should get a 101%
++++++ rating.
I had similar on my most recent review of Bronson.

I rated it
and felt like seeing it again.
So I did. And a third time.
Rated it
each time.
I've already ordered the blu ray.

Originally Posted by JayDee
And with none of them was I relieved to see the end credits roll like I was for Fury Road
I stormed out of there. Normally I linger and maybe wait to see if there's something after the credits, but not with this. And I agree with you about the sound of this movie -- it's headache inducing.

This is a woman's movie. That's why Miss Vicky is a big cheerleader for it.

Says the guy who constantly accuses me of hating women.
I also constantly accuse you of being a man, so it's double strange.

I stormed out of there. Normally I linger and maybe wait to see if there's something after the credits, but not with this. And I agree with you about the sound of this movie -- it's headache inducing.

This is a woman's movie. That's why Miss Vicky is a big cheerleader for it.
But I am a big cheerleader for it... unless... OMG AM I A WOMAN?!?!?!??

*Nut check*

Nope still a guy.

Master of My Domain
This is a woman's movie.
Yeah, a woman's movie where woman are used as sex slaves, constantly need to be on the run, resulting in massive injuries, and have to fight for their lives even when they're old enough to sit in a rocking chair all day long.

Yeah, a woman's movie where woman are used as sex slaves, constantly need to be on the run, resulting in massive injuries, and have to fight for their lives even when they're old enough to sit in a rocking chair all day long.
It's still a woman's movie. I don't care what you say. Women have their own action movie genre. It's men who no longer do.

Good for you JD for saying what you really think about Fury Road instead of what you're 'supposed to think'. It's not a terrible film, just an average one - a classic case of tons of money being thrown at a mediocre script and the critics masturbating over it all with inflated review scores. I don't agree with your comments regarding the superior original films (namely Mad Max and The Road Warrior), or your comparison of Hardy to Clint Eastwood and seventies stars (he looks more like a pumped up Jamie Oliver to me), but the rest, yes.

The problem with Mad Max: Fury Road for me is it's saddled with an already dehumanised iconic character now reduced to a near mute secondary role. This might have worked with Gibson who knows Max inside out and could have injected some much needed charisma, but not with a newcomer like Tom Hardy. For Hardy to work in the role Miller needed to give him more to do on an emotional level - fleshed out his madness if you like. The pre-opening credits sequence is one of the worst I've ever seen because it's a complete missed opportunity to introduce Hardy effectively. Compare it with The Road Warrior opening and there's just no contest whatsoever. Hardy has gone on record saying he didn't know what Miller wanted from him and it really shows.

The Furiosa character doesn't work for me either because unlike Ellen Ripley in Aliens we haven't grown with her through an earlier film, and don't really know her back story until three quarters of the way through Fury Road. Let's cut through the crap here. Furiosa is nothing more than a modern action/horror cliché little better than Kate Beckinsale in the Underworld films - but hey it's acclaimed actress CharlizeTheron so everyone's cooing over her. It's Mad Max forgodsake. This gives us two uninspired leads who lack interest and thus removes the tension from key action sequences. The best example is the initial fight between Max and Furiosa (when Max is shackled to Nux) which is supposed to be very suspenseful because Joe's minions are catching up to them; but instead feels ho-hum-matter-of-fact because the characters are so sketchy and detached. There's just no one to root for in that scene, and it's a nonchalant feeling that seeps through the rest of the film.

I have a conspiracy theory regarding Mel Gibson's Hollywood blacklisting in the wake of The Passion of the Christ - which upset a lot of Jewish people, many of whom coincidentally run the big studios. I think it goes a lot deeper than some drunken indiscretions he's committed which had to make it into the press to begin with. Gibson has clearly been betrayed by a lot of people over the past nine years. He's never been a saint, but the way the press have consistently demonised him after he was such a Hollywood darling in the nineties stinks of conspiracy. It's just the typical abhorrent media pattern of build someone up, then tear them down. Never mind the fact the guy is an alcoholic who needs help and support - after he himself helped a very troubled Robert Downey Jr. make a comeback. No let's just destroy him so we can all feel better about ourselves. Hollywood is definitely worse off without Mel Gibson in my opinion.

I suspect Miller desperately wanted Gibson but a string pulling Warner said no and so Miller got upset and decided to relegate Hardy to a support role. This may well have extended to not adequately communicating with the actor on set. Pure speculation of course.

For the record the original Mad Max is far and away my favourite of the series. I feel it has the best characterisation, setting (society on the verge, and in the process of collapse), musical score, and performances. Talk about doing something stylishly different and brilliant with a deceptively simplistic revenge plot. All for around $350,000. Amazing.

Max's Boss Fifi: They say people don't believe in heroes anymore. Well, damn them! You and me, Max, we're gonna give 'em back their heroes!

Toecutter: The Nightrider. That is his name... the Nightrider.
Station Master: The NightRider.
Toecutter: Remember him when you look at the night sky

Good for you JD for saying what you really think about Fury Road instead of what you're 'supposed to think'.
Yes, because those of us who say we loved it are apparently just parroting each other and those masturbating critics instead of expressing our own real opinions. Or something.

Yes, because those of us who say we loved it are apparently just parroting each other and those masturbating critics instead of expressing our own real opinions. Or something.
I think bandwagon jumping definitely exists in the critical media to some extent. I've also seen the backlash people get here when they criticise Fury Road (JD even PM'd me regarding concern over this). When combined these factors surely influence others in my humble opinion. I respect the honesty of JD's review which reflects some of my own opinions on the film. Just as I respect your right to an opinion, and understand why you like it so much. I certainly don't think Fury Road is a complete loss; just not the resounding masterpiece the media claim. Please don't be too angry with me.

There's no doubt a degree of bandwagoning around any popular or hyped movie, however I don't think that complimenting people just for voicing a contrary opinion helps to normalize the situation, if anything it will make it worse. And it's easy to mistake as an arrogant way to dismiss popular opinions given the context.

Anyway, we all respect each other's opinions here and their right to like or dislike whatever stuff they watch, so this is kind of an unnecessary demonstration.

In short. I should watch Mad Max: Fury Road and stop getting into discussions about stuff I haven't seen.