Slash Vault, Bloody Adventures with MoFo Nostromo

→ in
Tools    

Final Destination (2000)

A class of 40 students and 4 teachers from Mount Abraham High School are set to take flight from New York to Paris for their class trip, but student Alex Browning has disruptive premonitions of the plane exploding in midair. This gets he and five of his classmates kicked off the flight, including Clear Rivers (Ali Larter), Stifler, and one teacher to stay behind with them. Carter Horton and his girlfriend Terry are left behind too, as Alex and Carter have a long-running hostile rivalry. To the alarm of those left behind, Alex's intuition proves true, and no travelers who remained on the flight survived. I probably wouldn't say this is exactly a slasher film, yet fate begins a terror hunt to track down Alex and the survivors. So the killer in this instance is... death? This is where my curiosity took me, so I followed it. An unusual relationship and incomprehensible attraction develops between Alex and Clear, they had never spoken to each other before, yet after seeing Alex's freakout on the plane, she admits, "I didn't see what you saw, but I felt it." Alex gets really caught up in figuring out fate's design, wanting to discover its patterns, but he suspects there's a risk to cheating the plan. In a way, utter bunk, a cool cast though and a fun viewing. Plus it reminded me of several of my MoFo BANNED deaths.

Rating:
+ 7.5 / 10

You're Next (2011)

Crispian Davison and his girlfriend Erin reach a new vacation home in Missouri to celebrate Crispian's parent's Wedding Anniversary. It's a pretty unique opening for a slasher film, because the family hasn't been together in years, plus some of the old sibling rivalries flare up. The Davison family is pretty loaded, as Crispian's dad formerly worked for the KGB. Once everyone shows up and the family sits down to dinner together, the reunion turns swiftly into a disaster home invasion slaughter. Assailants wearing animal masks descend upon the wooded area wielding all manner of weapons such as crossbows, axes, and machetes. All the Davisons and their visitors freeze up and panic, except for Crispian's girlfriend, Erin. It turns out she grew up in a survivalist compound. Erin is played by Sharni Vinson, who fits right into any list about kickass movie dames for her performance here, I'd say. A throwback flick to older and simpler horror films, with an emphasis more on intense savageness, where the attackers run smack into role-reversal manifest by Erin as the saving grace.

Rating:
+ 6.5 / 10

The Initiation (1984)

Kelly Fairchild, played by Daphne Zuniga, (Princess Vespa from Spaceballs) enters pledge week with the Delta Rho Chi sorority along with her pledge sisters Beth, Marsha, and Alison. Meanwhile Kelly has a recurring nightmare she's had since she was a kid involving her mom, stepdad, and a strange man appearing at their house. That prompts her to choose dreams as the topic for her Psych term paper. At the same time, back at pledge week with the sorority, the pledge sisters have weekly work assignments, a Frat party on Friday, and prank night on Saturday. Megan, one of the older sisters, dares them to break into and steal the security officer's clothes at the Fairchilds Department Store, owned by Kelly's stepdad (Clu Gulager, from Return of the Living Dead). This was meant to be a film to send Daphne Zuniga to movie stardom, I think, but it was overshadowed by another certain slasher film about dreams released one month earlier by Wes Craven. The first half of this movie was actually really enjoyable and I thought I'd rate it higher, then the second half got pretty cheesy but fun enough. Pledges Kelly, Beth, Marsha, and Alison, do you hereby swear that in this last week of your pledge period you will complete your sacred duties to the best of your ability, that you will obey your older and wiser sisters, and that you will do anything they ask, no matter what the consequences, so help you God? I swear.

Rating:
+ 6.5 / 10

Synth Throwback 80s Slasher Trailer

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	ezgif-1-10ae26280a.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	20.9 KB
ID:	44566   Click image for larger version

Name:	the initiation.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	176.3 KB
ID:	44567  

The first time i saw Final Destination was the night before i went on a plane. My brother in law had us watch it specifically to freak us out the sadist haha. Luckily i never had a problem with flying but it really traumatized my sister Happy to report it didn't crash

Haven't seen it in years i did like it then, also liked the 3rd one but all i remember about that now is the rollercoaster and sunbed scenes.

Maniac
William Lustig

*sigh*

Did I already tell you I love this movie? You might hate it though.

I've come across it and considered watching Maniac several times. I actually don't think I'm capable of really hating one of these movies. Even Prom Night and The House On Sorority Row, which I rated poorly, I still kind of liked watching them. I think I might enjoy The House On Sorority Row a bit more now, for some reason, but haven't given it another chance yet.

Cat, I know numbers and rankings and stuff can give you headaches, but I'd love to see what a favorite slasher list of yours would look like. Don't bother if it's a hassle, I can dream Goes for anyone else too who would like to rank slasher movies. Good lord all the time I've given to these movies

A Nightmare On Elm Street (1984)

I'm so glad you guys could come over tonight. No problem, Tina. Nancy and Glen to the rescue. Hello, Mom? Yea... Out here at Barry's. Huh? Yea, noisy as usual. Glad we don't live here, huh? Yea, Aunt Nuņez says hello... See, I told you you'd be feeling better! ... All day long I've been seeing that guy's weird face. Well he scraped his fingernails along things. Actually they were more like fingerknives or something, something he'd made himself.... But they made a horrible sound. ScreeeEEEEeeecchhh!!! Rod Lane brings Lantz down just three yards from the goal-line, what a brilliant tackle, and the fans go wild!

As the Golden Age of 1978-1983 slashers began to slacken, Wes Craven recognized his time was running out. Slasher movies and their theatrical success, they were dying. Developing the story since 1981, and after being ignored by countless studios, Craven paired with New Line Cinema, a pretty irrelevant film studio at the time whose best hits included cult films such as Pink Flamingos (1972) and Reefer Madness (1973), which would come to be known as "The House That Freddy Built." A Nightmare On Elm Street sold over 7 Million tickets in North America on a budget of just $1.8 Million, and growing into one of the most successful and loved series of films in history. The film both turned New Line Cinema from an insignificant film company into a major Hollywood Box Office competitor, and kept slasher films alive- a triumph Craven would repeat twelve years later with Scream (1996).

The story opened in the Midwestern town of Springwood, Ohio, with a glove, and spotlighted teenagers Tina Gray, Rod Lane, Nancy Thompson, and her boyfriend Glen Lantz who share a common dream...
One, Two, Witch Nostro's Coming For You
Three, Four, Better Rock Your Score
Five, Six, Light Your Candlesticks
Seven, Eight, Gonna Stay Up Late
Nine, Ten, Gonna Win Again
The friends have a sleepover to comfort Tina, until a relentless fella in a dirty red and green sweater tears up Tina and Rod's bedroom. There is nothing I dislike about it- the music, the characters, the story, I can recall the first time I watched it five years ago in a house by the lake on my TV in an unfinished basement that reminded me of the opening fingerknives glovemaking scene. Showing that slasher movie magic never has to die.

An instant theatrical success which launched a terrific series of movies to hang out and party with. Donald Thompson and his boozing ex-wife Marge, the parents of Nancy who chose to end Krueger's life years ago, face the dream-haunt revenge of the razor-fingered clawed slasher Freddy. You face things. That's your nature, that's your gift. Okay Krueger, we play in your court. And now I lay me down to sleep, I pray the Lord my soul to keep, and if I die before I wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take. What if they meet a monster in their dreams, then what? Turn their back on it, take away its energy and it disappears. But what happens if they don't do that? Well then I guess those people don't wake up to tell what happens.

Rating:
10.0 / 10

Attachments

Name:	tnard 84.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	214.1 KB
ID:	44574   Click image for larger version

Name:	tina 84.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	237.2 KB
ID:	44575   Click image for larger version

Name:	ncygln 84.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	290.1 KB
ID:	44576   Click image for larger version

Name:	frd kgr 84.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	248.6 KB
ID:	44577  

Top 50 Slashers By Nostromo

1. A Nightmare On Elm Street (1984)
2. Halloween (2007)
3. Urban Legend (1998)
4. Friday the 13th (1980)
5. Scream (1996)

6. The Bird With The Crystal Plumage (1970)
7. The House of 1,000 Corpses (2003)
8. Inferno (1980)
9. Halloween (1978)
10. Sleepaway Camp 2: Unhappy Campers (1988)

11. Friday the 13th Pt 3 (1982)
12. Black Christmas (1974)
13. Final Destination (2000)
14. Terror Train (1980)
15. The Burning (1981)
16. Deep Red (1975)
17. Halloween 4: The Return of Michael Myers (1988)
18. A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors (1987)
19. Sleepaway Camp (1983)
20. Torso (1973)

21. A Bay of Blood (1971)
22. Scream 2 (1997)
23. Scream 4 (2011)
24. Friday the 13th Pt 2 (1981)
25. Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter (1984)
26. Intruder (1989)
27. Leatherface: The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 3 (1990)
28. You're Next (2011)
29. The Town That Dreaded Sundown (1976)
30. Silent Night, Deadly Night (1984)

31. Saw (2004)
32. Child's Play (1988)
33. The Initiation (1984)
34. Student Bodies (1981)
35. Peeping Tom (1960)
36. Psycho (1998)
37. The Funhouse (1981)
38. Friday the 13th Pt 6: Jason Lives (1986)
39. Friday the 13th Pt 8: Jason Takes Manhattan (1989)
40. Halloween II (1981)

41. The Prowler (1981)
42. Alice, Sweet Alice (1976)
43. Tourist Trap (1979)
44. Terrifier (2017)
45. Candyman (1992)
46. Halloween H2O (1998)
47. The House on Sorority Row (1983)
48. Tenebrae (1982)
49. My Bloody Valentine (1981)
50. Prom Night (1980)

Attachments

Name:	slash 1 to 5.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	44578   Click image for larger version

Name:	slash 6 to 10.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	44579   Click image for larger version

Name:	grl wds1.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	126.6 KB
ID:	44580  

50 is a big milestone! Great job, Nostro! Here's to 50 more!

Thank ya JJ , I've seen more than I've posted about

I agree on almost every ratings you put on each movies except maybe for the Halloween remake of Rob Zombie which is in my opinion a decent movie at best and the original of John Carpenter is probably in my top 20 best movie of all time.

I've seen the movie Terrifier last week I dig the crap out of this movie. The clown was scary as sh*t and it's all-around gory fun. Keep em' coming Nostro' I dig that thread and of course I'm a slasher fan

I've come across it and considered watching Maniac several times. I actually don't think I'm capable of really hating one of these movies. Even Prom Night and The House On Sorority Row, which I rated poorly, I still kind of liked watching them. I think I might enjoy The House On Sorority Row a bit more now, for some reason, but haven't given it another chance yet.
I can't hate them either, although my rating is a bit more of an emotional response than your more sensible approach.

Maniac is just one of the ones I fan hard over. It just never loses its bite no matter when I watch it. Secretly, I rate it a bit higher than I do. It would be perfect but for a bit of melodrama in the aforementioned wall-rolling scene, but even that had its charm.

Can't believe I just used the word "charm" to describe anything about this movie

Cat, I know numbers and rankings and stuff can give you headaches, but I'd love to see what a favorite slasher list of yours would look like. Don't bother if it's a hassle, I can dream Goes for anyone else too who would like to rank slasher movies. Good lord all the time I've given to these movies
Well, I also don't do writeups, but I'm doing little ones for you. Things might be looking up for a list!

But will think and rewatch a few things first to see if I still feel that way about them, so it may take some time. But you'll get the writeups.

Also, I won't be including giallos on my list. That's muddying the placing waters for me.

I agree on almost every ratings you put on each movies except maybe for the Halloween remake of Rob Zombie which is in my opinion a decent movie at best and the original of John Carpenter is probably in my top 20 best movie of all time.

I've seen the movie Terrifier last week I dig the crap out of this movie. The clown was scary as sh*t and it's all-around gory fun. Keep em' coming Nostro' I dig that thread and of course I'm a slasher fan
I loved Terrifier.

I don't hate Zombie's Halloween, but I really didn't like the backstory. Sucked the scary right out of Michael Myers. Otherwise, I kind of enjoy it, but that's got a bit to do with my just enjoying Rob Zombie in general.

My Top Ten Slashers would probably be:

01. Deep Red
02. Halloween
03. Maniac (1980)
04. Nightmare On Elm Street
05. Behind The Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon
06. The Texas Chain Saw Massacre
07. Scream
08. The New York Ripper
09. A Nightmare On Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors
10. Silent Night Deadly Night

Keeping in mind that i've not seen anywhere near as many slashers as you guys, also i'm not even sure if all of those count.

Edit: Damn just realized Pyscho and Peeping Tom on Nostromo's list, they'd be there. Just consider those like my favourite Post-Black Christmas ones or something haha.

Don't think any list with Silent Night, Deadly Night on it could be considered "good" Still i love that film it's so insane i mean the bobsleigh death is legendary That's another that would have likely scared me as a child especially the grampa scene at the start and to a lesser extent the brutality of his parents death.

Don't think any list with Silent Night, Deadly Night on it could be considered "good" Still i love that film it's so insane i mean the bobsleigh death is legendary That's another that would have likely scared me as a child especially the grampa scene at the start and to a lesser extent the brutality of his parents death.

Creepy grampa was best part

Don't think any list with Silent Night, Deadly Night on it could be considered "good"
I see I still hold the title of Queen of Bad Taste

Last night I felt like being motion-and-speechless under the covers, so put on Part III. At first there was a bit of confusion as I could have sworn I just saw it, but I knew I really hadn't. And yet, I JUST SAW THAT BEGINNING!!! And not even because it was the end of Part II again!!! AGSDHJAGSH!!!AND THE OPENING TITLES LIKE...WHOAH 3D!!!! So I put on Part IV, and instantly knew that's not where I was in the marathon!!! What marathon?

OH MY GOD, A TRUE MYSTERY OF THE UNEXPLAINED!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not really. I'd just started watching it 2 or 3 weeks ago and fell asleep. Then forgot I'd started it. *********. Jason gets me all flustered.

So after all that excitement, I relaxed back into Part III. From the beginning.

Friday the 13th Part III
Steve Miner

Jason goes to the farm.

First, let me say that I'm annoyed I've never seen this in 3D. I don't care how bad the effect may be, I just feel cheated that I never got to see all those obvious 3D cues obnoxiously in my face. Also, lady getting poked by Jason. In 3D. So. Cheated. AND THERE WAS AN EYE POPPING OUT! in 3D.

I know I say this about each part, but this one probably rivals the first for attention as my ultimate fav, even though neither has my favourite Jason kill. It DOES, however, have the superbly efficient and smooth kill (that I didn't get to experience in 3D, in case I hadn't mentioned it) he delivered right after putting on his mask for the first time!!! , and then just dropping the spear gun casually and sauntering off, like...*mic drop*

Sadly, there's not as much swaying ass in Part III, but pretty sure I saw half a man butt. That'll do nicely! Some classic kills featured in this movie, my fav being either the aforementioned, or the
WARNING: spoilers below
expert upside down halving of the owner of said man butt. Only just struck me now that it's ironic he got halved.

This is the only film in the franchise where I feel bummed out by Jason's "death" in the end. I don't like seeing him covered with a sheet, like a regular dead guy. He's special.

Oh hai, Jason!

Technically, I can have both this and the first as my favs as the first wasn't a Jason movie, whereas this one is. This one blatantly ties in with the first at the end in what can be seen as a "rip off" ending, but I prefer to see it as a neat cycle.

++ or even a
depending on when you ask me.

That and Part 7 are the Jason films I enjoy best. In Part 3, I really liked what they did with the characters. Where each one has more well-established character traits. Great ending too between Chrissie and Jason. Let the slasher party roll! All of this reminds me of some of the summer camps I went to growing up, really fun times