Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

City Girl (1930)

I watched this silent film for the movie tournament and had never heard of it before. It is a simple movie that manages to be both beautiful and heartbreaking. It is helped by a wonderful score, is just under 90 minutes long, and is free on YouTube.

Sinister (2012) - Scott Derrickson

- Best horror flick of the decade. Well acted, creepy as hell and superbly filmed. This movie is a must see for horror fan. Instant classic for me. Ethan Hawke is a brilliant actor.
+

The Longest Ride (George Tillman Jr., 2015)

Far less explicit than expected

Intouchables

Beautiful movie on so many levels. Also great music well placed in this movie. I want to go to France and apply for a job as a caregiver now.

9/10

Welcome to the human race...
I gotta go with The Lost World: Jurassic Park for Spielberg's worst, followed by Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. I get, but at the same time, don't sort of get all the hate Hook gets (If that made sense).
I daresay Crystal Skull took over as the consensus pick simply for being a dud sequel in an otherwise beloved franchise (which is arguably true of The Lost World as well), though Hook being Peter Pan fanfiction probably didn't make it go over that well either. In any case, I can never settle on a concrete pick for his worst because there are a few possibilities and I don't think I really care that much in the end.

City Girl (1930)

I watched this silent film for the movie tournament and had never heard of it before. It is a simple movie that manages to be both beautiful and heartbreaking. It is helped by a wonderful score, is just under 90 minutes long, and is free on YouTube.
Jesus Cricket, i love you! You've been really digging my noms lately for some reason. City Girl is probably my favourite silent so far along with City Lights and Sherlock Jr., it's also my favourite of the three Murnau's i've seen. So gorgeous and surprisingly funny and entertaining, and yes heartbreaking.

Jesus Cricket, i love you! You've been really digging my noms lately for some reason. City Girl is probably my favourite silent so far along with City Lights and Sherlock Jr., it's also my favourite of the three Murnau's i've seen. So gorgeous and surprisingly funny and entertaining, and yes heartbreaking.
The only nominations I knew who nominated them were House of Tolerance and Vibtator Torture. Ok I changed my mind, City Girl sucks!

China Moon (1994, John Bailey)

Decent but plodding and painfully unoriginal neo noir with Ed Harris as a seasoned homicide cop and Madeleine Stowe (who, granted, is gorgeous here) as a sultry femme fatale who gets him into trouble. The plot has some twists but also a whole lot of cliches, and the ending is disappointing.

Scarface aka Shame Of A Nation (Howard Hawks & Richard Rosson, 1932)
+
Apparently not a documentary about the king of scarves after all

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Sinister (2012) - Scott Derrickson

- Best horror flick of the decade. Well acted, creepy as hell and superbly filmed. This movie is a must see for horror fan. Instant classic for me. Ethan Hawke is a brilliant actor.
+
I guess I have to give this one another chance because everyone seems to be positive on it, while I found it to be mediocre at best.

Suspect's Reviews

I wouldn't say it's masterpiece, but it's got its charm.
Exactly.

The Truman Show (1998)

China Moon (1994, John Bailey)

Decent but plodding and painfully unoriginal neo noir with Ed Harris as a seasoned homicide cop and Madeleine Stowe (who, granted, is gorgeous here) as a sultry femme fatale who gets him into trouble. The plot has some twists but also a whole lot of cliches, and the ending is disappointing.
IMO this was an attempt to capture the style of 1981's Body Heat with William Hurt and Kathleen Turner. Although I think Body Heat was a much better film. The actors were very suited for their roles, and portrayed them well. Neither Harris nor Stowe have the depth for those types of characters.

~Doc

Excellent movie! Don't be fooled though, even though it's billed as a comedy, it's far more of a dramedy, but a very good character study of someone w/mental illness.

8.5/10

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
City Girl is probably my favourite silent so far
Phew, It's the favourite silent of some really lame people who know nothing about cinema. Oh, wait, I rated it
myself!
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Unregistered User

The Bleeder (2016)

Surprisingly decent film for boxing fans. The Chuck Wepner story is a great one and Schreiber really does well. The Ali parts are very poor though.

The Florida Project (2017)

Well paced and impressive performances all round here.

The Penguin Pool Murder (George Archainbaud, 1932)

"Never try to evade the law with an umbrella between your legs"

The Florida Project (2017)

Well paced and impressive performances all round here.

I loved it. Top 3 of 2017 for sure. Loved the colours and the innocence of it all. Some people disliked the ending but I thought it was absolutely perfect.

Unregistered User
I loved it. Top 3 of 2017 for sure. Loved the colours and the innocence of it all. Some people disliked the ending but I thought it was absolutely perfect.

I can see how people wouldn't like it. Had no problem with it myself.