Best child actor ever

Tools    

Who do you think is or was the best child actor of all time? My vote is for Jason Bateman based upon his virtuoso performance in the lamentably short-lived mid-eighties TV sitcom It’s Your Move. The show is hysterical, with cutting edge humor far in advance of its time. Alas, predictably, it lasted but one season while young Mister Bateman went on to greater “success” in the pabulum of Valarie (later The Hogan Family when its star jumped ship), a complete waste of his talent in all but financial terms.

Comedy is harder for actors than drama. I’ve seen several first rate dramatic performances by typically comedic actors, whereas I’ve seen lame attempts by dramatic actors at comedy.

On the surface, Matthew Burton is the young teen that parents pray to the saints for. He’s handsome, clean cut, very intelligent, precocious, popular and oh so charming. But appearances can be deceiving. Matthew is a juvenile con artist and hustler extraordinaire, traits which his youngish, widowed mother seems oblivious to, though not exactly being unintelligent herself. Matthew is both devoted to her and very protective of her. One day, a new tenant takes up occupancy in an apartment across from Mathew’s family's apartment. He’s a ne’er-do-well, would-be writer. Much to Matthew’s horror, his guileless mother falls for him (though Norman Lamb—played equally effectively by David Garrison—professes his honorable intentions). Matthew dreams of his photogenic mother marrying a successful and wealthy man who will doubtlessly take his mother, older sister and himself into a life he will presumably soon become accustomed to, and he will not brook this upstart interloper upon his family domain. Thus begins a battle of wits between two like souls separated by a generation as each counters the latest dirty trick thrown at him by his adversary (thus, the title); the entire time Matthew’s mother is oblivious to this desperate contest between the two men in her life.

Here is the link for the show’s pilot (note early on a bit part by the tragically late River Phoenix):

Here is a two part episode entitled “The Dregs of Humanity.” Matthew’s chronically befuddled best friend (whom, despite their disparate personalities, Matthew is fiercely loyal to and protective of) loses the money their school entrusted to Matthew to hire a band for a dance. The solution that Matthew’s ever creative and somewhat depraved mind comes up with in answer to his latest crisis renders perhaps the most hysterically (and I mean hysterically!) funny hour of television I’ve yet to see:

Trust me. The series and Jason Bateman’s performance are that good! I don’t think this just in retrospect. I loved it during during its original run.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
Recently

Emjay Anthony in Krampus

and

Noah Wisemn in Babadook who was hated by so many, I thought he was adorable.

My ll time fave

Who is that, Gid?

Oh another

and how could I forget

Recently I've liked Harvey Scrimshaw in The Witch and Mhairi Anderson in The Daisy Chain.

Wow she looks so different.

This might just do nobody any good.
Recently I've liked Harvey Scrimshaw in The Witch.
Good pick. Kid was mesmerizing.

Has Hailee Steinfeld done anything as good as her work on True Grit again?

Not a lot of actors can outshine Jeff Bridges and Matt Damon at once.

*Googles*

She's in a Transformers spin-off... okay.

He was wasn't he? "Man of the Match" I thought.

I don't know but looking hot as hell is pretty good .

Was going to mention Linda Manz in Out of the Blue but unsurprisingly considering some of her scenes she was 19 then. She is great anyway.

Definitely second Hailee Steinfeld in True Grit. Would add Lina Leandersson in Let The Right One In of ones not mentioned.

Not a lot of actors can outshine Jeff Bridges and Matt Damon at once.

*Googles*

She's in a Transformers spin-off... okay.
She was very good in The Edge of Seventeen. Not as good as she was in True Grit, but yeah it was a good performance in a mediocre film.