My Favorite Dustin Hoffman Performances

Tools    

Danny Snyder, Sleepers (1996)

As always, Hoffman held his own among a powerhouse all-star cast as a slightly unscrupulous attorney involved in a decades old case of sexual abuse for a quartet of young boys.

Ratso Rizzo, Midnight Cowboy (1969)

After playing the virginal Benjamin Braddock, Hoffman could have rested on his laurels but instead chose a role the polar opposite of Benjamin. Hoffman should have won his first Oscar for his performance as a sickly street hustler who strikes up an unlikely friendship with a naive male prostitute (Jon Voight). Hoffman lights up the screen in a flashy performance that proved he was an actor to be reckoned with a performance that provokes equal smiles and tears.

Max Denbo Straight Time (1978)

Definitely the forgotten gem on Hoffman's resume...Max Denbo is a career criminal who finds constant roadblocks in his attempt to rehabilitate, but eventually finds himself drifting back into a life of crime...Hoffman creates a sadly evocative character here who elicits the viewer's sympathy immediately but as the story progresses, it is clear that things are not going to work out for him.

Carl Bernstein, All the President's Men (1976)

Some might find the placing of this performance a little high, but I've always felt it was underrated...Hoffman commands the screen as the veteran Washington Post reporter who teams with a novice reporter (Robert Redford) to investigate what turns out to be the Watergate scandal that ended the Nixon presidency. Hoffman nails the emotions of a reporter who will do anything to get the facts while attempting to conceal his glee about what he's learning because he's a democrat and learning how to work as a team with another reporter. One of my favorite onscreen portrayals of a real-life figure.

David Sumner, Straw Dogs (1971)

One of Hoffman's most challenging roles as a scientist who moves to England with his wife (Susan George) and faces constant harassment and brutality including his wife's rape. One of Hoffman's best everyman in extraordinary circumstance performances.

Lenny Bruce, Lenny (1974)

If it had been released another year, Hoffman probably would have won a third Oscar for his mesmerizing work in this docudrama about the legendary stand-up comedian whose personal demons evaded his work and his life. Aided by the masterful direction of Bob Fosse, Hoffman again brings a real-life figure vividly to life.

I know there's probably a lot of disagreement about the placing of some of these performances on this list, but again, I remind you that this is my opinion and my opinion only. I know people were probably surprised to see his two Oscar winning performances appear as early as they did, but you're welcome to your opinion and please allow me mine....and now, my # 1 favorite Dustin Hoffman performance.

Michael Dorsey/Dorothy Michaels, Tootsie (1982)

On the surface, this appears to be a frothy romantic comedy but because Dustin Hoffman is in the starring role, this film became something very special that earned ten Oscar nominations. Hoffman plays a character I suspect is more like Hoffman than any other he's played. Michael Dorsey is a talented but struggling actor and acting teacher who is having trouble finding work because he has been labeled as "difficult." In order to raise $8000 to produce a play written by his roommate (Bill Murray), Michael dresses up as a woman and auditions for a role on a soap opera and actually gets the part, forcing him to live a double life as a man and a woman, confusing the two women in his life (Teri Garr, Jessica Lange). The primary reason I love this performance so much is that the character of Dorothy Michaels is WAY more believable and entertaining than the character of Michael Dorsey.

Hope you enjoyed the list.

Tootsie is my favorite Hoffman performance, too! Hey, at least he was nominated for an Academy Award for this.
The 1982 Best Actor race was a bear...I think Hoffman might have won for Tootsie if it had been released a different year.

Glad to see Hoffman appreciation...

I can't say what's my fave role, bc I haven't payed much attention to the acting itself, but the movie is definatelly The graduate, music is great too. Is this the 1st 'hippie movie' or something? I mean, all I've seen is great...

Tootsie and Rain Man.

I won't dance. Don't ask me...
I would choose Rain Man and Midnight cowboy. I watched Midnight Cowboy recently and I have to say I was under the impression.

Michael Dorsey/Dorothy Michaels, Tootsie (1982)

Hoffman plays a character I suspect is more like Hoffman than any other he's played.

the character of Dorothy Michaels is WAY more believable and entertaining than the character of Michael Dorsey.
Forgive me if I've missed any prior discussion of this but, are you saying that Hoffman may possibly be a feminine man inside in real life?

Forgive me if I've missed any prior discussion of this but, are you saying that Hoffman may possibly be a feminine man inside in real life?
What I meant is that Hoffman is known for being difficult to work with, like his character in this movie, Michael Dorsey.

Sorry, but his performance as Raymond Babbitt in 'Rain Main' is his best.
You're certainly entitled to your opinion and feel free to make your own list...this list was of MY favorite performances, not what I thought was the best.

What I meant is that Hoffman is known for being difficult to work with, like his character in this movie, Michael Dorsey.
Ah, OK, gotcha. I loved him in Meet the Fockers. He totally saved that movie.