Best Anthony Hopkins film?

Tools    

Anthony Hopkins is was one of the true Hollywood greats, and is up there with De Niro, Nicholson, douglas and co. for me he is anyway, i dont know anout you, but he really takes what he does serioulsy and you can see that when he is playing a role, he brings his own unique manner to it, and makes you more often than not like him, but what are his best films to date, bearing in mind he will probably continue to make some great films, my list is as follows. I am sure their are many i missed out so put them up too.

My top 5 :

1) A bridge too Far
2) Legends of The Fall
3) Meet Joe Black
4) Fracture
5) Hanibal

My personal favorite is The Silence of the Lambs. He was crazy, but in a sofisticated sort of way, and that's what I liked so much about it.

The Lion in Winter
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

My other favorites would have to include 84 Charing Cross Road (1987), The Elephant Man (1981), The Edge (1997), The Bounty (1984), Proof (2005), The Efficiency Expert (1992), The Human Stain (2003) and, yeah, The Silence of the Lambs (1991).

All of the above

One little known movie that i liked him in is Spotswood a very quirkey Aussie movie with a very young Russell Crowe and Toni Collette

Originally Posted by nebbit
One little known movie that i liked him in is Spotswood a very quirkey Aussie movie with a very young Russell Crowe and Toni Collette.
Yup. That was re-titled The Efficiency Expert here in America. I like it a lot as well.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Of the ones not mentioned yet, I thought he was wonderful in Howards End, The Remains of the Day, Shadowlands, Nixon, Amistad, The Mask of Zorro, and The World's Fastest Indian. My choice for the best film he was in is also The Lion in Winter, with The Silence of the Lambs, The Elephant Man and The Mask of Zorro close behind.

My personal favorite is The Silence of the Lambs. He was crazy, but in a sofisticated sort of way, and that's what I liked so much about it.
I agree...his best was The Silence of the Lambs

All of the above he's great in and more, as well as the tv plays he's done. He's a lovely bloke too and one that hasn't forgotten his roots. He gave a very funny impersonation of our much loved Welsh comedian Tommy Cooper when Sir Anthony unveiled a statue to him earlier this year.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/7260677.stm

What Seems To Be Your Boggle?
One things for sure it certainly isn't Freejack for me. Silence of the Lambs is up there tho, it has to be. Hes amazing in that as well as Ted Levine, they both play there roles amazingly well. Other than that Elephant Man comes a close second, one of only a few films that actually brought a tear to me eye.

\m/ Fade To Black \m/
I think definatly its got to be "The silence of the lambs" he was great in this film. He was also as good in "Hannibal"

Anthony Hopkins is was one of the true Hollywood greats, and is up there with De Niro, Nicholson, douglas and co. for me he is anyway, i dont know anout you, but he really takes what he does serioulsy and you can see that when he is playing a role, he brings his own unique manner to it, and makes you more often than not like him, but what are his best films to date, bearing in mind he will probably continue to make some great films, my list is as follows. I am sure their are many i missed out so put them up too.

My top 5 :

1) A bridge too Far
2) Legends of The Fall
3) Meet Joe Black
4) Fracture
5) Hanibal
I honestly cant believe that hannibal makes your list but Silence of the lambs does not

Silence of the Lambs and Meet Joe BLack....best movie and best actor.

Well for me it would be Silence of the Lambs, Hannibal and the entertaining Mask of Zorro.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I'll admit that I'm one of those sickos who likes Hannibal. I've heard about how it sucks right off the bat, and even if it didn't, the ending is disgusting. Well, if you didn't know already, I MUST be disgusting because I thought Hannibal was a terrific BLACK comedy and got better as it went along, all the way through its disgusting ending. Hopkins was terrific throughout the flick.

I am half agony, half hope.
I can't recall seeing anything by Hopkins when he was younger. The first film I saw of his was Magic, then The Bounty a few years later, so I can't give a thorough answer. I do like his work in The Remains of the Day, and Silence of the Lambs best out of the movies I have viewed.

Johann von Goethe