The Videogames Tab

Tools    

\m/ Fade To Black \m/
Im enjoying Burnout Paradise its a ok game, the crash scenes are fantsatic, im abit annoyed that they have taken out the cost of the crash like what was in the previous games. But the concept of the game i like driving your car around and joining races if you like its very nice, the graphics are sweet and the music on it is also ok. Ive just burned most of my fav tracks on there and put into random its much better that way.

Meet my latest challenge...getting through all of these games within a week (with work and uni commitments)

Stranglehold is quite short but awesome so much action pff
Bioshock is much longer although I don't remember how long it took me to go through the whole game but believe me you'll be quite preoccupied with that game

as for now I just finished Devil May Cry 3 Dante's awakening and going for The Max Payne games again probably because of the upcoming movie

Welcome to the human race...
Hell, I only just found out that The Orange Box contains Half-Life 2 in it (originally got it to play Portal) so now I'm trying to fight my way through HL2 (although maybe not Episodes One and Two, there's only so much I can do).

Stranglehold is quite short but awesome so much action pff
I played Stranglehold for a couple of hours last night. To be honest, I am not too impressed. Controls are difficult to get used to, collision detection is a bit annoying, and the whole thing just feels like a rip-off of Total Overdose. Combos, unlocking special moves, using the environment as a weapon...yup, it's essentially Total Overdose on 360 with shiny graphics and Chow Yun-Fat instead of some generic Latino badboy. Not a bad game, but it was something of a let-down because it's been done before (Max Payne, anyone?)

What I find really amusing is this.

1992 - Hard-Boiled comes out. Becomes a cult action masterpiece.

1999 - The Matrix comes out. Rips off John Woo's gun ballet stylings and adds in "bullet time".

2001 - Max Payne comes out. Rips off "bullet time" and John Woo - and noir movies/comics.

2005 - Total Overdose comes out. Rips off the El Mariachi trilogy, which ripped off John Woo. Also rips off "bullet time". Adds in "special moves".

2007 - Stranglehold comes out. Stays true to everything in its filmic predecessor, Hard-Boiled, but steals much of its game mechanics from Max Payne and Total Overdose, which in turned ripped off Hard-Boiled - and made for better games.

Vicious cycle.

P.S. Has anyone else played or heard of Total Overdose before I mentioned it?

I played Stranglehold for a couple of hours last night. To be honest, I am not too impressed. Controls are difficult to get used to, collision detection is a bit annoying, and the whole thing just feels like a rip-off of Total Overdose. Combos, unlocking special moves, using the environment as a weapon...yup, it's essentially Total Overdose on 360 with shiny graphics and Chow Yun-Fat instead of some generic Latino badboy. Not a bad game, but it was something of a let-down because it's been done before (Max Payne, anyone?)

P.S. Has anyone else played or heard of Total Overdose before I mentioned it?
Max Payne is probably(no,not probably,the Best!) the best in the genre it has a good story (all this with the graphic novel is so cool) with a lot of twist in it,the game delivers a lot of action and yes it takes a lot of the Matrix with the bullet time and from Hard-boiled(actually there are a lot of references to the movie and John Woo),as for Total Overdose not impressed at all it was quite easy with those combos and special moves,not intriguing at all.Stranglehold had at least good graphics and really good moves (the precision Shot,a?)but it was quite short that was kind of sad(I hate short games)and the controls aren't that hard if you are using a Keyboard and a Mouse I actually can't understand you people how you play a FPS or a Third Person Shooter(like Stranglehold)which has an Aim on a PS3 or X-Box,I just can't

What's so bad about aiming on consoles? Maybe it's me, but I don't see any significant fault in using an analogue stick to aim (except perhaps in games where you have to stop moving to aim).

Then again, I liked Total Overdose a lot. But eh, diff'rent strokes as the fella says.

Anyway, all my 360 rentals have to go back this evening(and the 360 needs to be returned to its rightful owner). I think I'll give Stranglehold one last try before it goes back.

\m/ Fade To Black \m/
I havent personally played stranglehold but ive seen my m8s play it and it looks awsome but they have also complained about the controls when trying to aim I think that is the main reason why I havent played it yet.

WoW...70 Dorf Priest

Tried AoC...what a joke!

Vanguard...just started a Dorf Cleric since the game has been re-worked...

...and I'm with B-card...don't understand how you can play FPS games on a console...mouse is the best aiming method...boom...headshot!

Went for perfect playthrough on MGS4, did the 'no alerts' and 'no kills' bit ok but took about 8 hours ...don't fancy trying it again, tranqing all the enemies isn't as fun as killing

The People's Republic of Clogher
Soul Calibur IV

More towards the pick-up-and-play style of Tekken than the more technical Virtua Fighter series (no surprises there then. SC has always been thus). Button mashing can get you through a few rounds of the single player mode but beware taking that style online - those guys will land you on your arse quicker than you can say "She's wearing ... what?"

A system of cells interlinked
What's so bad about aiming on consoles? Maybe it's me, but I don't see any significant fault in using an analogue stick to aim (except perhaps in games where you have to stop moving to aim).
When you are used to using a muse on a PC, sticks just don't cut it. Some video game magazine did a comparison test at one point using, I think one of the Halo games, and the people using controllers got completely wrecked, as the aim time for the mouse was much, much faster and more accurate. The sticks work, sure, but the mouse is just better for fast strafing and aiming. Much faster and much more accurate. To me, it almost seems as fast as my eyes.

When you are used to using a muse on a PC, sticks just don't cut it. Some video game magazine did a comparison test at one point using, I think one of the Halo games, and the people using controllers got completely wrecked, as the aim time for the mouse was much, much faster and more accurate. The sticks work, sure, but the mouse is just better for fast strafing and aiming. Much faster and much more accurate. To me, it almost seems as fast as my eyes.
When I play games like Devil may cry or some of the Resident Evil series the stick is always welcome because there is no mouse in those games and there are a lot of combos that are hard to execute with a keyboard

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Even though I've had this game for years, I'm just starting it now and it's sad because it is such a great game.

Shadow of the Colossus.

Suspect's Reviews

Soul Calibur IV

More towards the pick-up-and-play style of Tekken than the more technical Virtua Fighter series (no surprises there then. SC has always been thus). Button mashing can get you through a few rounds of the single player mode but beware taking that style online - those guys will land you on your arse quicker than you can say "She's wearing ... what?"

Have you played with Yoda or Darth Vader yet?

The People's Republic of Clogher
Shame that Yoda is only for 360.
It'll be DLC for the PS3, I believe with Vader doing the same on the 360. Vader isn't as out of place as I thought he'd be in the context of the game but he's not a character I'd play too often - powerful but bloody slow.