Top War Films

Tools    

Some that haven't been mentioned:
The Guns of Navarone. Gregory Peck, David Niven, Anthony Quinn. A good Alistair MacLean yarn.
The Dirty Dozen. Lee Marvin, Bronson, Savalas,...
Kelly's Heroes. Eastwood.
Where Eagles Dare. Another MacLean story with Richard Burton and Eastwood.

But Bridge on the River Kwai is my favorite.

Bluray Collector!
Aside from the obvious ones, I really enjoy Tigerland.

And I'm also itching to get a hold of the recent Bluray release of Paths of Glory that Criterion has put out.

Black hawk dawn really a war top listed movie.. I have seen it more than one time..

I can't pick just one so here's some of my favorites.

- Apocalypse Now
- Saving Private Ryan
- Courage Under Fire
- Full Metal Jacket
- Platoon
- Black Hawk Down
- The Great Escape
- The Deer Hunter
- Patton
- The Dirty Dozen
- Schindler's List
- The Bridge Over The River Kwai
- The Longest Day

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Hey Gunny, have you seen Paths of Glory, The Guns of Navarone, The Train and the original All Quiet on the Western Front? I'm betting you have.

I'm not familiar with The Red Badge of Courage, I'll have to look for it!

1 Schindler's list
2 Bridge on the river Kwai
3 Apocalypse now
4 Deer hunter
5 Full metal jacket
6 All quiet on the western front
7 Saving private Ryan
8 Dirty dozen
9 Zulu
10 The Pianist

Dirty Dozen
Full Metal Jacket
Gettysburg
Band of Brothers
Red Badge of Courage
Pork Chop Hill
Tora,Tora, Tora
Memphis Belle
12 O clock High
Command Decision
Das Boot
From Here to Eternity
Three Came Home
Hitler's Children
Tomorrow The World
Battle of Britain

Would you believe I have never seen it? I am so ashamed. I will try to correct that tonight.

Every time the subject of war movies comes up in this forum, I mention what I consider to be the most realistic war movie ever--not in terms of guns and gore but in the nature of humans as soldiers, what they do and say and feel and the way they do and say it. Anyway, my pick as the best--most realistic--war movie is The Red Badge of Courage. But everytime I throw it out, no one ever responds to it And I'm sure that at least some of you are familar with the book and movie! Another realistic war movie, I think, is A Walk in the Sun. But nobody ever wants to talk about it either.

The Roughriders
Full Metal Jacket
The Alamo (both versions)
The Patriot
The Wild Geese
Father Goose
Operation Petticoat
Anything with John Wayne
Top Gun
Tora, Tora, Tora
Midway
Battle of Britain
Flyboys
Aces High
Bridges at Toko Ri
Men of The Fighting Lady
Murphy's War
African Queen

There are lots of others, but these are some of my favorites.

@ Rufnek, Thats surprising. Both of those are great movies. There were two versions of Red Badge of Courage, the first one with Audie Murphy and a remake with Richard Thomas. Both are excellent versions. The book is a very realistic account of the Civil War, the odd thing about the author Steven Crane had never seen action in any kind of war.

I have A Walk in the Sun on one of those dollar store DVD's, I havent seen it for a couple years. I may watch it tonight again. Thanks for the reminder of a great movie.

The best war movie ever made is a cartoon. You can watch it right now on youtube:

Best "American live action war movie" (which is the category in which all the movies here fit)? Apocalypse Now, of course.

Gangster Rap is Shakespeare for the Future
There are only two war movies I've truly liked.
Apocalypse Now for its eerie descent into hell, but I'd maintain that its source of inspiration, Aguirre, The Wrath of God is far better.

Also, The Thin Red Line, but this has much more to do with Malick's aesthetic. He directs it without much story, and it becomes more of a passionate transcendentalist piece than a war film.