Netflix Instant Discussion

Tools    

Gangster Rap is Shakespeare for the Future
Anyone else think it's a big deal that Netflix now has an original series in the works, and the new season of Arrested Development? If you ask me, it's a very bad sign for network TV.

Story about my mother: The Castrating Zionist
I don't think so. I think Netflix is desperately trying to build its brand back up. Trying to throw some pizzazz to make up for its dwindling supply, both on disc and instant.

that's what she said...
I just got my Netflix membership again after canceling it over a year ago and I have to say, I am impressed with all the new stuff they have on it. A year ago I canceled because I felt it wasn't offering any good instant streams, but I like all the choices now and the tv shows. I think they are really doing a good job to make their customers happier now.

The most loathsome of all goblins
I don't think so. I think Netflix is desperately trying to build its brand back up. Trying to throw some pizzazz to make up for its dwindling supply, both on disc and instant.
This notwithstanding, House of Cards sounds like a winner. My impression is that it's going to be like David Greenwalt and John McNamara's Profit but in the political world instead of the business world.

I can easily imagine it becoming very successful.

I use Prime at work when I'm on break because they block Netflix. It's alright, but pales in comparison to Netflix. The Prime membership I have is mostly for the free two-day shipping.
I got a Sony streamer when on my Netflix trial, Netflix was great, but the Sont tv wifi streamer really sucked, had to keep over and over reconnecting with my wifi, pain in the rump, should of got a Roku.

^This is why most get Amazon Prime I suppose, all the other perks that come with it, 2 day shipping and free kindle share books.

The most loathsome of all goblins
Haha. I'm watchin' Netflix at work. Pretty sweet deal until they catch smart and block it like youtube.
Count yourself lucky. Of course, one thing I'm happy about is that my company (or Barracuda Networks which does the actual blocking) has yet to block GameFly, allowing me to download their free game library onto my work computer and play them during my break. Take that you corporate fascists! Civilization IV here I come.
This is why most get Amazon Prime I suppose, all the other perks that come with it, 2 day shipping and free kindle share books.
I'm just pissed that I have to pay tax on my purchases now, damn you Texas for finally catching on!

The Bib-iest of Nickels
I actually really enjoy Netflix, a very convenient product, although, I would much enjoy having more movies added to the selection, because while there are several independent movies, I'd like to see more movies of the mainstream as well.

I actually really enjoy Netflix, a very convenient product, although, I would much enjoy having more movies added to the selection, because while there are several independent movies, I'd like to see more movies of the mainstream as well.
Yeah, seconded. Overall, I love my NF. They're a little suspect like any business, but I've mostly been happy with the service.

Of course I'd love to see more variety always, but as it is, it's pretty darn good.

Story about my mother: The Castrating Zionist
Finally saw the commercial for House of Cards. That looks like it could turn out well. Anyone on Hulu needs to watch the Hulu Plus exclusive Whites, it's a comedy show about chefs in a fancy kitchen. Hulu struck gold. That's all I can really talk about TV, don't much care for it.

I was on the Amazon Prime Trial, don't much care for it. Many of the videos suddenly freeze, I often have to re-enter in search and resume play. I don't think this is a problem for most, but it is a problem with my desktop. Oddly, they seem to most often freeze at very suspensful moments, wtf!

Probably going to end up with Netflix, both streaming and dvd options. Also Amazon streaming isn't offered on my Android phone. Netflix is the easy winner.

Gangster Rap is Shakespeare for the Future
Finally saw the commercial for House of Cards. That looks like it could turn out well.
It looked interesting, especially that it was going with some meta-humor. I'm more interested than excited in this one. Arrested Development, on the other hand, is or of my favorite shows of all time, and I can't wait for that, and I know it'll be great!

I did try watching House of Cards but just couldn't continue after watching the pilot. Maybe it only becomes great later on, but I really didn't see the hype from what I saw. I will try to revisit at some point though. Anyways forgot that I even did this thread so just a few things in case anyone cares, Holy Motors, Cosmopolis, and The Good Doctor are all on Instant, which are some movies from last year that got some reasonable acclaim. Also best documentary Oscar nominees 5 Broken Cameras and How to Survive a Plague are on streaming, so that's pretty cool.

Not to sound like a disgruntled shut in, but has anyone found the streaming selection on Netflix to really subpar this year, I know they went through a lot of changes and lost a lot of titles this year, but I mean really.....only the same 75 gay/lesbian movies to choose from on a nightly basis! What hogwash, hogwash! But in all seriousness if anyone can recommend, I guess, any "lesser known" titles they may have watched that are worth a view I would appreciate it. I think Netflix's attempt to battle Hulu in regards to original series is a loosing fight (the exception being House of Cards). For example, I absolutely loved the original Arrested Development, and not really blaming netflix for this, but that new season was almost unwatchable for me.

And the addition of Netflix Max, the recommendation guru, is just ridiculous lol. I don't know who "Max," thinks he is, but I believe we are developing a rather tumultuous relationship as "he" keeps recommending the same titles in which I have seen already. When I first met "Max," i really hoped for a relationship much like that of Joaquin Phoenix with his new operating system in the upcoming movie HER. But alas...things are not going right.....more like the relationship with HAL in 2001: Space Odyssesy.....

HAL: I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.

I'm not getting this from Max.....

Please, some good recommendations would be advantageous to my mission objective, help before I have to disconnect Max.....

Finished here. It's been fun.
I think House of Cards is pretty damn good. It really kicks in to high gear around the midpoint of the first season. I was hooked!

I think House of Cards is pretty damn good. It really kicks in to high gear around the midpoint of the first season. I was hooked!
I loved it. Frank is just so deliciously evil...he validates my prejudice about the House and all of its skullduggery. Yeah, it is Macbeth on The Mall, but it's just so good. Will Frank survive season two?

I got especially interested since all of the outdoor scenes that are not iconic views of the Capitol, etc were filmed in the Baltimore neighborhood (Mt Vernon) where I work. Haddad's trucks, lights, wires and crew have swarmed around here filming street scenes, Zoe walking in and out of her apartment, Frank in front of a big brownstone, etc. I aroused my interest and I was rewarded.

I hear that there's only one more cluster of episodes and I understand that from a plot point of view, but I hate to see it finish.

I thought the new season of Arrested Development was pretty good.
Orange is the New Black was very entertaining too.
It wasn't as fresh as the old Arrested Development shows, but I really liked being able to see that great cast of characters again, back to their old dysfunctional family ways.