Tim Burton

Tools    

Does anyone else love him?

He has a knack for putting his finger on my pulse. His characters are often way offbeat, fantastical entities but with real life issues/problems. Who hasn't felt different, scorned and used ?(Edward Scissorhands) Who hasn't felt unhappy in their own skin and wished they were someone else? (Jack Skellington) You all know his films... do you think he's a creative genius or a crackpot?

Originally posted by Toose
You all know his films... do you think he's a creative genius or a crackpot?
It varies. The Nightmare Before Christmas is, and always will be, one of my favorite films. The music is brilliant, the animation is wonderful, and it's damn funny, to boot. It used to be my favorite some years ago, actually. I find his two Batman flicks to be quite good, as well (though not brilliant). Sleepy Hollow was wonderfully moody and dang near exactly what it ought to have been, too.

That said, I think he messes up occasionally. I was very disappointed with Planet of the Apes and Mars Attacks!. I think he's a fine director in general, but it seems he screws up when he just tries to get too bizarre (like POTA's ending, for example). It's not as if his better stuff isn't bizarre, of course...but I always feel like, when he messes up, he does so out of simply trying TOO hard to mess with people's heads. Just my opinion, of course.

The Fat of the Mailbox
I love Tim Burton

Ed Wood
Nightmare Before Christmas
Sleep Hollow
Edward Scissorhands
Mars Attacks!
I love those moveis.

hmmm, neither crackpot nor genius, just a decent director with a handful of really good films, and a bunch of neatly styled, but less great ones.

by far his best is 'pee wee's big adventure.'
i also enjoyed 'ed wood', 'mars attacks', 'sleepy hollow', and 'nightmare before christmas' (though i was previously unaware that he directed it).

his adaptations of the batman comics were trite, disinterested, and visually impressive (this alone does not a classic make). both were far more juvenile, and at the same time less humorous, less sumptuous, and all around less fun than the superb 'batman: mask of the phantasm' (1993), still the best 'big two' comic book movie ever made.

Originally posted by linespalsy
his adaptations of the batman comics were trite, disinterested, and visually impressive (this alone does not a classic make). both were far more juvenile, and at the same time less humorous, less sumptuous, and all around less fun than the superb 'batman: mask of the phantasm' (1993), still the best 'big two' comic book movie ever made.
Gotta disagree...
I loved his adaptations. He was faithful to the Dark Knight (which the latter two films were definitely not) and he combined it with a dark circus element not unlike Bradbury in tone. Also, he has chemistry with Keaton and I thought that came out in the films. The first two Batmans shall remain my favorites

I'm not old, you're just 12.
Tim Burton is equal parts genius and crackpot. Yes, Mars Attacks and Planet of the Apes were not very good, (Man, I hate having to write "Planet of the Apes" and "Not Very Good" in the same sentence. The original series are some of my all time faves...) but his good movies more than make up for some studio ruined garbage. I think he'd do better to avoid the major studios and do little independant films that would be more his than a "Franchise," but he probably won't. I think his more personal work is better than his Batman films, but you still gotta love how corrupt and kinky Batman Returns was.

Here's a weird thought. Tim Burton trying to create Blockbuster Hollywood films like POTA and Mars Attacks was kind of like Jack Skellington trying to be Sandy Claws in Nightmare: a poor fit.

https://shawnsmovienight.blogspot.com/

Originally posted by Toose

Gotta disagree...
I loved his adaptations. He was faithful to the Dark Knight (which the latter two films were definitely not) and he combined it with a dark circus element not unlike Bradbury in tone. Also, he has chemistry with Keaton and I thought that came out in the films. The first two Batmans shall remain my favorites
well, i did like the style and tone of the films, but i'm really not sure what you meant by these two being faithful to the dark knight. you'll have to specify which dark night burton was faithful to, since there have been quite a lot of different versions, and quite a lot of different writers.
in style and tone, i think the first one was fairly akin to moore's excellent 'killing joke' one shot, but in substance, they're worlds apart. i cant say they resemble miller's batman stuff at all, except maybe in that they're both 'dark looking'.