1940's Hall of Fame II

Tools    

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
great lil review, @rauldc14. Loved Fitzgerald in this as well.

Comparing the captain's callous indifference to his crew, to the ship was pretty spot on and something I didn't consider when I first saw this.
Glad you nominated it Ed. Was a neat little film.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I just want to apologize for not being more active in this HoF recently. I've had a rough couple of weeks. (Just keeping up with the current song tournament has been hard for me this week.)

But I've been watching the movies, and starting next week, things should be almost back to normal, (hopefully), and I should be able to post about them. (There was only one movie that I didn't like, and it probably won't surprise anyone who knows my taste in movies.)

I just want to apologize for not being more active in this HoF recently. I've had a rough couple of weeks. (Just keeping up with the current song tournament has been hard for me this week.)

But I've been watching the movies, and starting next week, things should be almost back to normal, (hopefully), and I should be able to post about them. (There was only one movie that I didn't like, and it probably won't surprise anyone who knows my taste in movies.)
Sorry to hear you've had some rough weeks, hopefully the future will be brighter

No big deal on not posting here much, I know you're solid and will finish...Hmmm, only one movie you didn't like. Now I'm curious...I'll have to see if I guess which one it is. I haven't seen them all myself yet, so I'm not sure...

Oh I seen your nom Mr Lucky, loved it....and...remember I accidentally posted your second choice Unfaithfully Yours (1948)
as you nom? Well that DVD came in from the library so I watched that too, I hated it! Kind of surprised that you would like such a dark comedy. But, I bet a lot of people would have liked it.

Day of Wrath

some spoilers below

We get to watch the family of Rev. Absalon Pederssøn in 17th century of Denmark with protestant reform already established. Absalon is a Lutheran pastor in a small Danish village and beside he is part of the inquisition trials. He saved his second wife's mother from burning at the stake only to marry Anne who didn't love him and married him out of gratitude. We see his second wife Anne, much younger than Absalon who is seemingly meek, humble, obedient but in reality she is very unhappy in marriage and her soul is screaming help. Then Absalon's mother who hates the guts of Anne and she can see her true colours. In the end Martin, Absalon's son, easy to be manipulated and lured into the tragedy.

Anne is enjoying the little moments with her husband's son Martin. She falls in love with him and she is very happy and doesn't want to think about the consequences of her relationship. We can clearly see she is avoiding the issue:

Anne, how will this all end?
Kiss me.

or

Why are you so quiet?
Say something.
Did he know?
What do you mean?
Did he know that you and I...
You told him.
He knew.That's why he called out to me.
I am cold! Keep me warm!
I still hear his voice.
Father. Father.
Are you weeping for him?
Or me?

We observe this tragedy in the shadows of inquisition trial of old woman and her death by burning and the death of an old man that is receiving Anointing of the Sick from Absalon. As if to say how all this situation leads to death and disaster. And indeed, after Anne reveals the bitter truth to her husband he dies right then and there.

I don't think this all was Anne's fault considering the circumstances and how her personality was constituted. Martin was also weak and could stop the disaster however was already too deep in lust and love. Mother was right but her transparent hate towards Anne only accelerated the event. Absolon was too busy with serving church to actually realize something.

I love this film with its truth and relentless look into a human's soul. I will definitely rewatch it and it is a keeper for me. Great nom @Thursday Next !

I Remember Mama (1948)

I didn't remember mama, ha...I didn't remember a thing about this movie. But I did remember that it was a really charming, slice of life film...and like Cricket and Thursday said: it seemed like The Waltons. I loved The Waltons too.

You know it doesn't have any big kick in the groin scenes in it or super dramatized stuff. And even the scenes that could have been played on your heart strings, weren't...like Uncle Chris dying which could have been over dramatized but wasn't, and I love that about this film.

I Remember Mama keeps it all grounded so that you feel like you're actually transported back to the 1900s San Francisco. It does 'world building' perfectly, even the musci score and cinematography fits the style of the film... and that's key to believing what you're seeing.

The entire cast and crew, a total of 178 people took a train to shoot on location in San Francisco. That was basically unheard of in Hollywood at the time, and the cost was very expensive. The effect is we just don't see a few seconds of stock footage from San Francisco, we see the cast on Telegraph hill and on the actually streets of the city. San Francisco becomes part of the movie.

I thought the cast was stand out, especially Irene Dunn (Mama), Ellen Corby (Trinia), Barbara Bel Gedded (Katrin) and Oskar Homolka (Uncle Chris)...all who were nominated for an Academy Awards. I really like Irene Dunn in this as she embodies the frugal, hard working, family dedicated Norwegian woman who's moved to America and has made it her home.

At first I thought Uncle Chris was going to be a silly caricature and too over the top. But I grew to like him and understand him too. And even though he was loud he was believable in his actions.

Don't we all have an uncle like that? I did! A big tall 'black' Irishman with a shock of jet black hair and even a black mustache. He was colorful too! I liked him, but he also kind of scared me as a kid. When I was 12 he said he would teach me to swim. So we go out to this lake and walk to the end of the dock...and he picks me up and throws me into the lake in deep water and says swim! No kidding. He also jumped into the lake so I was in no real danger, and I did indeed learn to swim

And that seems like something Uncle Chris would do in the movie too, so yeah I think there are uncles like Uncle Chris in the world.

OK that's enough, I hope you guys like the movie

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	I Remember Mama (6).jpg
Views:	569
Size:	255.6 KB
ID:	31524   Click image for larger version

Name:	I Remember Mama 4.jpg
Views:	478
Size:	206.4 KB
ID:	31526  

@Nestorio_Miklos

To quote a certain paragraph or a random sentence, you just have to delete redundant text and leave out the part you want to quote.

what did i just do ?? sorry it's probably because i kept clicking on that multi quote option
Who taught you how to use multi-quote out of interest?

You, Citizen, Cricket and Thursday have reviewed I Remember Mama.

@Nestorio_Miklos

To quote a certain paragraph or a random sentence, you just have to delete redundant text and leave out the part you want to quote.
That's not what happened i don't think. Think he used multi-quote then forgot about it.

Multi-quote stays on until you use it or turn it off, you can go to different threads with the posts you have quoted.

[b]Did I miss anybodies reviews?
Not mine. Although, you may as well put 6/12 for me as i doubt i'll rewatch Double Indemnity for this. It's one of my favourite films, i doubt my opinion would change and i remember it well so there's no real reason for me to see it again. If you guys think i should post something about it i will but it would just be stuff everyone else has said, while i love it i don't have any unique insights into it.

That's not what happened i don't think. Think he used multi-quote then forgot about it.

Multi-quote stays on until you use it or turn it off, you can go to different threads with the posts you have quoted.
Yeah, he'll have to turn off the multi-quote option in order to quote normally again. I just thought he wanted to quote a certain fragment, at first.

I think Citizen's early strategy of holding back the nominators seriously got to me. I couldn't for the life of me remember who nominated Double Indemnity and i actually thought of Nesto before telling myself: nah, he nominated something else.

Who taught you how to use multi-quote out of interest?

You, Citizen, Cricket and Thursday have reviewed I Remember Mama.
you explained it to me and i think citizen too and some one else .. and i still didn't get it

you explained it to me and i think citizen too and some one else .. and i still didn't get it
No offence to him, but Citizen completely failed

You got what i meant and have used it since then. I just forgot to tell you that it carries on if you don't use it.

The review count should be corrected for Raul and me. Otherwise, I think all the reviews are in place.

I think Citizen's early strategy of holding back the nominators seriously got to me. I couldn't for the life of me remember who nominated Double Indemnity and i actually thought of Nesto before telling myself: nah, he nominated something else.
Yeah, that hidden nominator thing got me too.

I requested all the DVDs for the noms before the Hof started, why not? So they arrive at my library and I pick them up and I have this big old stack of DVDs next to my TV, which I watch over the next weeks.

I get down to just a couple left and I see one that I can't remember who nominated it? So I think that's because I didn't pay attention who nominated what in the first place.

So I watch it and hated it. I'm thinking, oh damn! now I got to disappoint somebody, I wonder who? Then I check the thread and see the nom wasn't even for this Hof. So I'm scratching my head trying to figure out why I have this DVD... then I realize it was GBGs second choice nom, Unfaithfully Yours, which I had thought was her 1st choice and so requested it...Oh well, at least I can I watched it.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Not mine. Although, you may as well put 6/12 for me as i doubt i'll rewatch Double Indemnity for this. It's one of my favourite films, i doubt my opinion would change and i remember it well so there's no real reason for me to see it again. If you guys think i should post something about it i will but it would just be stuff everyone else has said, while i love it i don't have any unique insights into it.
There is a reason to see Double Indemnity again. Because it's fricken great!!!