Thanksgiving!

Tools    

That was so funny jrs thanks

You know Des, I never buy movies for holidays maybe i should sounds like a good idea or another reason to buy movies

I'm amazed that no one has mentioned Scent of A Woman yet, I love this movie and it's based around Thanksgiving break. I usually watch this at least once a year. Al Pacino gives a fabulous performance and there is also some great lines in it, that I have been butchering for years. It is a long film however so it is probably not for everyone.

Certifiably troglodytic.

That reminds me of the Thanksgiving dinner in For Keeps. Molly Ringwald's mother is talking about how the French make their stuffing, with apples, raisins, and cinnamon. Kenneth Mars ... Mr. Bobrucz: "That's not stuffing. It's fruit!"

Now that I've posted this, I have no clue why your post reminded me of it.
Good post regardless

I am half agony, half hope.
I'm amazed that no one has mentioned Scent of A Woman yet, I love this movie and it's based around Thanksgiving break. I usually watch this at least once a year. Al Pacino gives a fabulous performance and there is also some great lines in it, that I have been butchering for years. It is a long film however so it is probably not for everyone.
Pacino annoys me in this role. He overacts, and I generally love the hams, but not in this case...

Johann von Goethe

OK, I buy films for just about every holiday. This is one of them. I probably own the bulk of what is out there, but as soon as I think that, I will find out about many more. Well, I hope so. I'm not saying that all of these are great movies, but this is what I own so far. Do you know of any others?

A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving (1973)

Planes, Trains & Automobiles (1987)

Dutch (1991)

Home for the Holidays (1995)

What's Cooking? (2000)

Pieces of April (2003)

Son in Law (1993)

I feel like I am forgetting something . . .
How about a movie that's actually about the pilgrims who started the whole concept of a Thanksgiving dinner? Plymouth Adventure, a romanized yet occasionally truthful story about the pilgrims coming to this country, with Spencer Tracy as the rough sea captain who brings them.

Another film with a Thanksgiving theme has the US Army about to build a secret base outside a small New England town. Joanne Woodward is a local soccer mom (back in the 1960s before that designation was invented) who opposes the proposal and sends her hapless husband (in real life) Paul Newman, a public relations man who commutes to New York, to deliver her demands to the Pentagon on a trip to Washington. Newman is still in the Navy reserve and so gets reactivated to sell the military to his neighbors.
Things come to a head at the annual Thanksgiving Padgent staged by Woodward in which the irrasible Army commander (Jack Carson) and his young soldiers as pilgrims are attacked by local teenage rebels who are mad because the soldiers are stealing their girlfriends. It's a funny movie based on an even funnier book, Rally 'Round the Flag.

Uhhhh... there's an old episode of ALF where he invites a homeless man to join The Tanners & The Ockmonics for Thanksgiving dinner. For this thoughtful act by ALF, the homeless man decides not to turn him over to the Alien Task Force.

There's also an old episode of Mama's Family where mama is given a turkey by a relative, only it's alive and she'd have to kill it. She decides that she can't kill the turkey, so she bakes a fake/vegetarian turkey for her family and they like it.

There's also an old episode of Mama's Family where mama is given a turkey by a relative, only it's alive and she'd have to kill it. She decides that she can't kill the turkey, so she bakes a fake/vegetarian turkey for her family and they like it.
Thats the problem with fake meat, it actually tastes like meat

I never buy movies for holidays maybe i should sounds like a good idea or another reason to buy movies
Exactly!

I didn't know it was based around Thanksgiving, but it has never caught my attention as a film I would enjoy. I will look into it. My mother and sister may own it. I'm not sure.

How about a movie that's actually about the pilgrims who started the whole concept of a Thanksgiving dinner? Plymouth Adventure, a romanized yet occasionally truthful story about the pilgrims coming to this country, with Spencer Tracy as the rough sea captain who brings them.

Another film with a Thanksgiving theme has the US Army about to build a secret base outside a small New England town. Joanne Woodward is a local soccer mom (back in the 1960s before that designation was invented) who opposes the proposal and sends her hapless husband (in real life) Paul Newman, a public relations man who commutes to New York, to deliver her demands to the Pentagon on a trip to Washington. Newman is still in the Navy reserve and so gets reactivated to sell the military to his neighbors.
Things come to a head at the annual Thanksgiving Padgent staged by Woodward in which the irrasible Army commander (Jack Carson) and his young soldiers as pilgrims are attacked by local teenage rebels who are mad because the soldiers are stealing their girlfriends. It's a funny movie based on an even funnier book, Rally 'Round the Flag.
Yes, they both sound like something to look into, and I LOVE Joanne Woodward and Paul Newman. I have a few of their movies already, which I love. I've never heard of this one. Thanks!

Uhhhh... there's an old episode of ALF where he invites a homeless man to join The Tanners & The Ockmonics for Thanksgiving dinner. For this thoughtful act by ALF, the homeless man decides not to turn him over to the Alien Task Force.
Thanks sweetie, but I hate talking stuffed animals, as much as I hate those adult cartoons. It's me, though. When you grow up at the age of 11, you get it in your head that cartoons and stuffed creatures are for kids. I've had an interesting life.

I'm not old, you're just 12.
It's not a particularly Thanksgiving themed program, but it was always a tradition in my house to watch Comedy Central's Mystery Science Theater 3000 "Turkey Day" marathon on thanksgiving. Even though the show's been long cancelled, I still throw my own every year with the DVD sets. Nothing says Thanksgiving to me more than bad movies!

I'll have my copy of any Ben Stiller movie..

Female assassin extraordinaire.
i ADORE home for the holidays. i think that's my fav movie for holly hunter. and it's my fav holiday movie period cuz it isn't all about gifts and snow and trees and carols and it isn't all fuzzy wuzzy or cutesy wootsie (home alone! ack) ...

A year later, but still good lists of all the Thanksgiving movies worth watching. Carve one up!
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

I've been looking for this thread for hours. Thanks for digging it up.

I just picked up Home for the Holidays the other day and I see someone already mentioned it above. Anyway, it says its based during Thanksgiving and it looks pretty damn good so Des, if you haven't seen it yet there you go sistah!

Happy Thanks-Taking day everyone. I refuse to eat the white man's white meat.

I just picked up Home for the Holidays the other day and I see someone already mentioned it above. Anyway, it says its based during Thanksgiving and it looks pretty damn good so Des, if you haven't seen it yet there you go sistah!
Yep, I had it listed in my first post. It's a favorite. You should really enjoy it.

I've had a horrible day, unfortunately, and now I won't be doing the bird until tomorrow. We are going to try to salvage the rest of the day, by munching on the numerous party trays and punch that I make, while watching some funny Thanksgiving Day movies.

It looks really good. I'm sorry to hear you're having a bad day. I hope its not due to a "Deep fryer turkey" fiasco is it?

Anywho, I hope it gets better for ya.

Nope, I had to take my dog back to the vet yesterday. Her blindness is due to diabetes. It was unknown, and her sugar count went to around 550. 24 hours later, the jack-ass/doctor had hoped it would be about normal, but it was only at around 350. He said he was having trouble today with the insulin, because she won't eat, or drink. That is because she is without me, and if the bastard had been available for me to call back, and tell him this, I could have gone there, and taken care of her, but he didn't care enough to do this. So now I'm pissed he even called at all, since all it did was get me very upset, and screw-up my children's holiday. I'll be there when the doors open tomorrow, and depending on my mood, I may be arrested shortly after.

(Loads of profanity here)

p.s. I know she is bad off, so no comments on her condition, please. I'm already aware of the things that may happen. I'm depressed enough already.

Happy Thanks-Taking day everyone. I refuse to eat the white man's white meat.

????

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

Addams Family Values

Wait! We cannot break bread with you. You have taken the land which is rightfully ours. Years from now my people will be forced to live in mobile homes on reservations. Your people will wear cardigans, and drink highballs. We will sell our bracelets by the road sides, and you will play golf, and eat hot hors d'oeuvres. My people will have pain and degradation. Your people will have stick shifts. The gods of my tribe have spoken. They said do not trust the Pilgrims, especially Sarah Miller. And for all of these reasons I have decided to scalp you and burn your village to the ground. ~ Wednesday

Sorry... I couldn't resist....

There's a house of the way to work that has one of those blow-up turkeys in the yard that reminds me of that stupid turkey suit that kid that says "eat me" has on in that scene... I start laughing every time I go by there now...