For A Few Dollars More (1965) VS. The Great Silence (1968)

Tools    

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
I love Spaghetti Westerns and out of all that I have seen, I would say these two are the best ones.

But which one do you think is better would you say?

Anyone?

Digitally Restored The Great Silence with alternate ending is my #4 favorite Spaghetti Western of all time, For A Few Dollars More is my #5.

Oh which ending is the alernate one? I only saw one ending.

Oh which ending is the alernate one? I only saw one ending.
WARNING: "The Great Silence" spoilers below
There are three endings, 1 = Loco wins, 2 = Silence wins, 3 = Left open.

Haven’t seen for a few dollars more, but Great Silence is pretty good

There are three endings, 1 = Loco wins, 2 = Silence wins, 3 = Left open.
Oh okay, and which ending is your favorite when you say you like the alternate one? I only saw the one where Loco wins.

Oh okay, and which ending is your favorite when you say you like the alternate one? I only saw the one where Loco wins.
The third one. But they're all great imo, here's the Happy ending:

Oh okay, interesting. Well the happy ending is definitely more action filled, which I like but still hard to get use to. Especially since you think the sheriff would have died of hypothermia before making it back.

All good people are asleep and dreaming.
The Great Silence, please don't spoil the ending.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Both spaghetti masterpieces, but I think I like For A Few Dollars More a tad bit more. There's a lot to the frozen landscapes and feeling of Corbucci's film, but Leone's theatrics, character introductions with catchy sound cues, and the staging of the final duel take the cake. Picking the better soundtrack is harder, but I'd still say For a Few Dollars More wins in general terms, HOWEVER, if we're only talking about the main theme, WELL, the main theme in Il Grande Silenzio is nothing short of genius, but no real competition here, as Morricone composed music for both movies.

WARNING: "Il Grande Silenzio" spoilers below
Regarding the ending, I remember reading somewhere that the original ending intended by Corbucci was that Silence dies at the end, and they shot the alternate ending with him winning especially for the audience of Arab countries (reportedly, spaghettis were really BIG in Arab countries), because in their culture it was unheard of that a protagonist could lose. Now that I'm looking at the Wikipedia page of the film and can't find anything to support this claim, I'm seriously questioning the validity of that trivia, but think it's cool enough to share it.

@Yoda A possible bug? Urls are still visible within SPOILER tags. Mentions, too, and I bet images, too. Is this intended?
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Not exactly intended, but a necessary byproduct of the way they're done. I could hide the whole block, but then it would expand/collapse and you wouldn't be able to highlight it with the cursor, and I decided I liked this slightly more. I'm open to changing it if it proves problematic in a more functional sense, though I appreciate people checking. Better safe than sorry!

Come to think of it, I probably could tweak the JavaScript to hide those, too, though with images it might be trickier. Hmm, lemme see if I can do the link party easily enough without upsetting the apple cart.

Okay, cool, fixed the link thing easily without having to sacrifice the other stuff.

Realized I could do some similar stuff with images, too. It'd be a little too involved to hide them completely without having the height of the spoiler change when you revealed it, so instead I just grayscale it and blur it until it's revealed. Much better! Thanks for the inspiration.

Well the one thing about The Great Silence that is stronger is the story, and the story is more character driven, where as one of Leone's weaknesses on his dollars trilogy, is that they are more plot driven than character driven, if anyone sees it that way?