Book chat

Tools    

I am a huge reader, besides movies, reading is how i spend most of my spare time. I was wondering what book(s)or novel(s) you really enjoyed.
I enjoy the novels of Stephen King and Dean Koontz. Ann Rule is my favorite true crime author, and Patricia Cornwell is my favorite fiction writer.

The People's Republic of Clogher
My favourite novel is The Joke by Milan Kundera - love, revenge, politics - what more could you ask for?

Wanna Date? Got Any Money?
I've just finished reading these books

George Carlin- Brain Droppings
David Eddings- The Ruby Throne
J.K Rowling- Harry potter and the order of the phoenix (Guilty pleasure)
And some book on neo-paganism.

Just finished J. Robert Lennon's "Mailman"

Highly reccomended

May The Forks be With Us
my alltime favorite... thats hard. its probably a tie between To Kill A Mockingbord and one of the Harry Potter books(dunno which, love me all)
but i am obsessed with star wars. i own all the major series and have read some of em and am going to finish them some time in the near future

"Snozberries taste like snozberries"

whats the most disturbing or strangest book anyone read. I really like to be shoked when i read and i'm having a hard time finding a new book to read.

Hello Salem, my name's Winifred. What's yours
my fave book ever is harry potter and the goblet of fire

I also recommend animal farm, little women and 'The five people you meet in heaven'.

Also, i cried like a baby, 'A child called it' by Dave Pelzer

It takes a lot to disturb me gummo. Laurell K. Hamilton used to disturb me (excellent author, btw ), and I flat out refused to read the book, A Child Called It, although I can see that it is necessary for children to understand.

what do you mean, for children to understand?

i found it very moving but you know at the same time horrific and gross. It's not normally the type of book i read but i read it on a recommendation.

I prefer Stephen King stories and ‘Reader’s Digest Condensed Books’, four terrific novels woven into one. You can get them mail ordered.
Some other recommended novels are “Cabal”, “Midnight”, “TNT”, the “Lord of the Rings” collection, Bram Stokers 'Dracula' and anything by Jules Vern

I recommend that you all read William Peter Blatty's 'The Exorcist'.... seriously, forget about the movie, the book is so much better.

Originally Posted by undercoverlover
what do you mean, for children to understand?

i found it very moving but you know at the same time horrific and gross. It's not normally the type of book i read but i read it on a recommendation.
whats the book about?

child abuse. I read such books as a child, and I do feel they may be a necessary thing so that children can understand the "big bad world," and that (a) these things are wrong, and (b) if it isnt happening to them, it may be happening to someone else.

So in that way, I think those sort of things are often utilized as teaching tools.

I read it a about 2 years ago, i think i was 14 at the time, no one told me to read it as a 'tool' for teaching me, i read it of my own accord. I thought it was well written and yes it does show that that kind of thing is in the world. But i don't think they are necessary, I just think it's someone's well written version of their terrible terrible childhood.

Casa, it's about Dave Pelzer-the author, and his horrific childhood. He was abused at the hands of his disgraceful mother who did the most horrendous things to him and how he tries to escape his torment. There are a few books that come after 'A child called it'. 'The lost boy' comes second i think and then it's 'A man named Dave.' Dave Pelzer also wrote a self help book called 'Help Yourself'.

There are those who call me...Tim.
Timothy Zahn's Thrawn Trilogy (ie, Star Wars, Expanded Universe). As good, if not better than the original film trilogy, with a villain just as likeable as Vader. Few problems though (as always). While the first 2 were fast paced and exciting throughout, the third one did seem to lose pace at the end, and Thrawns last words seemed a litlle...wrong.

In the Beginning...
Originally Posted by undercoverlover
hey sleezy how would u say mothman prophecies film compared to the book?
I read the book after I saw the film, and I still liked the book better. The film is a pretty loose adaptation of the book, which is actually a documentary (NOT a novel) of the true events that occurred during a 13 month period from 1966-1967 in Point Pleasant, West Virginia (and author John Keel was actually in Point Pleasant for most of the duration). Not only are the Mothman sightings covered in the book, but also "men in black" sightings (not Will Smith and Tommy Lee Jones), nightly UFO sightings, doppleganger sightings, weird phone calls, etc. All of the sources who claimed to have seen the Mothman creature, as well as men in black, UFOs, etc., were all agreed to be competent, credible sources.

As far as the Mothman goes, it was more of a creature than a transient intelligence (as the film suggests). There were quite a few "beastial" attributes that went along with the creature, but the only ones they really specified in the film were the "mesmorizing" red eyes, and the high-pitched scream. Also, the "Indred Cold" story is included, which was pretty accurate in the film (the real man's name was Woodrow Derenberger, and he actually claimed to have traveled to Cold's home planet, and didn't feel threatened by him at all - Derenberger was in consistent contact with John Keel the whole time, and had never been considered a "town crazy" or anything at all). And all the Point Pleasant sightings ended with the Silver Bridge collapse, just like in the film - except there were a few minor discrepancies with that (ie. it didn't collapse on Christmas Eve, but a few days before; and it didn't collapse at night; etc.)

The film really just took the events and translated them loosely into a spooky, atmospheric thriller. Richard Gere's character represents the younger, more curious John Keel; while the writer character he visits in Chicago represents the older, more skeptical Keel of today. Laura Linney's character is based on Mary Hyre, an Ohio news reporter who accompanied Keel through the whole event. I still enjoy the film, because it's got that creepy, old-fashioned feel to it - but the book is so much better. Reading the accounts are the best part, because every one you read is weirder than the last. It gets pretty bizarre and unbelievable, and this stuff was actually consistently reported in such a short amount of time in one place. Very interesting stuff. Go read the book, if you're into that kind of thing.