Polycythemia

Tools    

A few months ago my dad was given this diagnosis. Polycythemia means too many red blood cells; basically your body produces too much blood. The doctors are doing a number of tests to figure out if there is some disease that has caused this or if this is just something that suddenly happened to him for no reason.

So far they have done ultra sounds and tested his blood and still haven't found anything wrong with him, other than having too much blood. So all they are doing is taking out 13 tubes of blood every week to every two weeks and continue to do this indefinately.

My father has been a heavy drinker since he was a teenager, he is now in his mid 50's and continues to drink heavily and smoke cigars. Upon reading up on this blood disorder I found that sometimes it can happen with liver disease or cancer. But with all the tests they have done, they can't find anything wrong with him. But I think he may be lying to all of us so that he can continue abusing his body til the day he dies. It just seems like something he would do. The last time I saw him he looked like he lost about 20 lbs. He says he is just getting old and not eating as much as he used, etc...but I know my father, I know he power drinks and eats nothing but red meat and potatos, eggs and bacon, etc. I don't know what to believe.

So anyway, this Polycythemia thing sounds very odd to me. How can a body produce too much blood??? I know what too little blood is like, but too much? I've never heard of it til my mom told me this is what's wrong with him. So I guess this is another one of those bizarre disorders. Removing 13 tubes of blood per week indefinately sounds odd as well. But I dunno. And how can someone just develop this disorder and not have it from the day they are born?

This is definitely a new one on me Gummo.... have they found out anything else? I have a friend who is losing a pint of blood every two months but they can't figure out where it is going....

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

It isn't new to me 2 reasons, I was a Nurse in another life, secondly my mother had it, I say had it because she passed away 6yrs ago
The illness didn't really cause her any problems, she had a few raised liver function tests but nothing to worry about It wasn't what killed her she had Cancer
Your body can develop any illness at anytime, sometimes there can be a catalyst, other times nothing
Whatever damage your Dad has done to his body through drinking he has done, so worrying about it isn't going to help, it only makes you upset and you can't change him no matter how much you love him
Who knows what the doctors have said to him! and he may be rationalizing so he can still continue to drink, what can you do?, you just have to continue to love him no matter what.

Caity - no,still no more answers from the doc's.

Nebbs - thanks...I'm not really worrying too much. I am just wondering what the heck this is, it just seems so bizarre to me that someone can have too much blood and why suddenly this happens for no reason. Just another of life's big mysteries. Hopefully he will get some answers from his doc's soon...

Caity - no,still no more answers from the doc's.

Nebbs - thanks...I'm not really worrying too much. ...
Good

How my Mum found out about having it, she had to go to hospital and it showed up in a routine blood test.

Good

How my Mum found out about having it, she had to go to hospital and it showed up in a routine blood test.

My dad found out when he went for a physical. The doctor asked him how he's been feeling and he said he hasn't felt like eating too much because he feels ill a lot. Then they did blood work and found that this is what is making him feel ill.