Gummo's Quick Read Reviews

→ in
Tools    

In My Skin (2003, Marina de Van)
4.5/5
This movie presents itself with a cool and calculated detached feel to self mutilation. It is accurate, and likely the only accurate depiction in film, of how carried away and obsessed one can get with self-injury.

Blue Velvet (1986, David Lynch)
5/5
Lynch's best movie, imo. This cult classic is likely one of the most influential films of the 80s. With an almost existential feel and a tribute to 50s and 60s B-films, you really need to understand this genre to really appreciate this movie. Lynch is known to add hidden metaphors to his movies...a hint I can give you is to look for bugs.

Gummo (1997, Harmony Korine)
5/5
A plotless movie consisting of oddball characters who are left standing after a Tornado went through the town and whiped out the "normal" people. If you can look past the cat killings and disturbing scenes, such as the mentally retarded prostitute and the bathtub dinner, you will see a brilliant peice of surrealistic and hyperrealistic art capturing all the taboo subjects all in one - grief, homophobia, sexual abuse, sexual harassment, prostitution, bigotry, and suicide. One wonders if this is what happens nearing the end of the world....

The Birds (1963, Alfred Hitchcock)
4/5

Don't compare this film to psycho, as people often do. They are two completely different stories by one great director. The effects were good for a film of this decade. There were some humourous parts thrown in there, though I am unsure if it was intentional. The "it's the end of the world" drunk guy was my favourite character, lol. This is a typical Hitchcock film, slow in the beginning to create a mood, then picks up nearly 3/4 of the way through with action and suspense. The end leaves us all with something to think about...the way Hitchcock plans all his movies. Does Hitchcock have some obsession with his mother??

American Pie 5: The Naked Mile (2006, Joe Nussbaum)
2.5/5
Well it's American Pie... The same jokes as the first movie. It's a good movie to waste time or to recoup from a hangover. The boner thing, that was kinda silly; in a no brainer funny way. The midget football team, that was kinda funny. I laughed, but not hysterically.

Fargo (1996, Joel Coen)
5/5
ahhh geez yaa! It's super funny yaaa! You just gotta watch this movie but make sure you are sitting on a toilet or you'll piss all over the couch. I use "ahhh geez" in everyday conversations.

The Cell (2000, Tarsem Singh)
4.5/5

A very underrated movie. Beautiful imagery and a great explanation about what goes on inside the mind of a catatonic psychopath.

Keep them coming Gummy girl.

I read once that Alfred Hitchcock had an obsession or soft/hard spot for blonde actresses don't get me wrong he was always the perfect gentleman

I've been thinking about posting in Flixster reviews (i'm guessing this where yours are from) over to here, i'll be a copycat now though.

Great job Gummo.... thanks for sharing....

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

The End (1978, Burt Reynolds, James Best)
5/5

Another dark comedy that made me laugh so hard I cried. The overdose scene made me nearly wet my pants! I hated Reynolds until I saw this movie.

Bubba Ho-Tep (2003, Don Coscarelli)
4/5
A Bruce Campbell best! This is my favourite horror-black comedy. You just gotta watch this movie to see how original and entertaining this is.

Harold & Maude (1971, Hal Ashby)
5/5
This is the best dark comedy romance story ever told! Hilarious, brilliant, certifiably entertaining.

American Beauty (1999, Sam Mendes)
4/5
A ponderous sexual absurdity. I loved it! "My job consists of basically masking my contempt for the a**holes in charge, and, at least once a day, retiring to the men's room so I can jerk off while I fantasize about a life that doesn't so closely resemble Hell."

Hot Fuzz (2007, Edgar Wright)
3.5/5
Pretty funny but it felt too long. It's still up there though. A decent British comedy.

Fast Food Nation (2006, Richard Linklater)
2/5

Totally gory scenes of animal slaughter all just to feed us humans. This is very disturbing to me. This movie is fictionalized and loosly based on a novel. I never read the novel but I think humans would be better off reading the book rather than watching this movie.

Contact (1997, Robert Zemeckis)
3.5/5
A little too long. But the cinemotography alone makes this a must see. Too heavy on the religion, but they do tie it in nicely.

Poseidon (2006, Wolfgang Petersen)
3/5

Good action. Very unrealistic in parts, but pure fun to watch. Dreyfuss plays a gay guy

Feed (2005, Brett Leonard)
4.5/5

Just saw this tonight (09/05/07) and I was totally disgusted and it completely messed up my head! This maybe the most disturbing movie I've seen in a long time. The cinemotography is excellent.

Kill Bill Volume I (2003, Quentin Tarantino)
3/5

Prefered the 2nd, but still enjoyed the badass lady fight scenes. Women kick ass - HARD! lol

Saw II (2005, Darren Bousman )
1/5

Very very BAD!! Why the hell was the girl from 7th Heaven in this? She was absolutely HORRIBLE!!!

Scary Movie (2000, Keenen Ivory Wayans)
3/5

You really need to see the movies they make fun of before you watch any of the Scary Movies...and even still, only watch this movie once or you'll be sick of it. Remember when people used to go around saying "wazzuuuuuup!!!" lol how dumb....actually I still hear people saying this...grrr!

8 Mile (2002, Curtis Hanson)
3.5/5

I hate when singers take to the big screen but with this movie, Eminem wasn't really acting. He played a character in the way he saw himself (or his alter ego...one of many alter egos)

E.T. - The Extra-Terrestrial (1982, Steven Spielberg)
3/5

ET creeped me out as a kid. Watching this as a teenager made me feel sick to my stomach, I don't know why. I'm not a fan of Spielberg and find his movies boring. But just because I get bored I can still see how he is considered one of the best directors of our time, he's very creative.

Rocky (1976, John G. Avildsen)
4/5

This is my 2nd favourite of the Rocky's. A great start to a fantastic series.

Army of Darkness: Evil Dead 3 (1993, Sam Raimi)
4.5/5

Kudos Bruce, for a fantastic performance of slap-stick comedy-horror.

Bobby (2006, Emilio Estevez)
1/5

This movie bored me to tears. Even Anthony Hopkins and William H. Macy couldn't save it. I think people rate it so high because of all the big name stars.

Kids (1995, Larry Clark)
4/5

Larry Clark could be one of the most daring directors around, and mixed with Harmony Korine as a writer, you know you are in for a controversial treat. This movie is an accurate story about teenage life in the 90s. The cinemotography and directing make you feel like you are in the movie yourself. You will be shocked and amazed.