The Movie Forums Top 100 of All-Time Refresh: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Loved There Will Be Blood and was awed by DDL's performance in that film. An acting master class!
Rocky is a great film all-around. Voted for neither.

19.The Searchers #97
1. To Kill a Mockingbird #85
25.Die Hard #63

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
I tried watching There Will Be Blood, but I got bored with it about a half hour into the movie, and I gave up. I think maybe it's just not my type of movie, but I might give it another chance someday.

After 30 minutes, it gets rolling..

I also think "There Will Be Blood" is (easily) the best movie of the century - not that there's much competition. I've seen it almost a handful of times, including once last year, and it's still a 10/10

• 104 points
  • 6 lists
58. The Night of the Hunter

Director

Charles Laughton, 1955

Starring

Robert Mitchum, Shelley Winters, Lillian Gish, James Gleason

• 106 points
  • 8 lists
57. North by Northwest

Director

Alfred Hitchcock, 1959

Starring

Cary Grant, Eva Marie Saint, James Mason, Jessie Royce Landis

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Best. Pairing. Yet.

Night of the Hunter is an all time great for me. Mitchums performance is one of the best villain performances ever. Quite a surprise to see it this far, even if it wasn't in contention for my top 25 it's certainly a top 100 candidate.

I had North by Northwest at 12. Grant and Saint are great in it. Some of the best film dialogue ever. Definitely deserved it's place.

Love North by Northwest, but voted for another Hitchcock for my 25. AH is one of my favorite directors of all time, so keep em coming!

# 169
North by Northwest 1959

2h 16min | Adventure | Mystery | Thriller
Director: Alfred Hitchcock
Stars: Cary Grant, Eva Marie Saint, James Mason

+

Both placed well on the MoFo '50s List, of course. Night of the Hunter was #25 while North by Northwest finished all the way up at #5, one of three Hitchcock pictures in that Top Five (Vertigo and Rear Window were the others at #4 and #2).
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Two classics I am on the wrong side of. I don't hate either but they are both very average for me after two watches a piece.

I have gone into Night Of The Hunter both watches fully expecting to love it. On the surface it feels exactly like my kind of movie. Antagonist-protaginist with deeply spiritual themes. I just can't get into it though. Considering the plot I find it surprisingly dull.

NBNW is an old action movie, which I usually have a tough time engaging with. So it's not surprising I don't love it and rank it towards the middle of the filmography of one of my favorite directors. It has a couple of good set pieces though. Also, Carey Grant is fire, as the kids say...I think.

Another thought from me... we're really getting to the stage where it's "make or break" for certain films. I'm starting to get more and more nervous about certain films on my list

We've got 58 films left and I just did a quick word doc to try and guess them all and I got to about 46 films that I'm almost certain will make it, probably about 40 locks, leaving between 12-18 spaces that I couldn't quite work out.
Same. I just did the same and came up with 67 I would have said would be very likely to make it before the list started, 28 absolute certainties and that's being very conservative. There's going to be some shocking omissions.

I have not seen these two movies, watch #50 will get a movie from the top 30 from the 2010s

Welcome to the Dance: My Favorite 20 High School Movies
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...02#post2413502

Big fan of both Night of the Hunter and North by Northwest, especially the latter which I think is close to Hitchcock at his best and certainly his most purely entertaining. Voted for neither.

# 23
Rocky 1-4 1976-1985 Directed by John G. Avildsen, Sylvester Stallone
Catching up a bit, love all the Rocky movies in a different way, and the first one almost made my ballot but was a last minute cut, glad it still made it this high on the countdown.

Seen: 34/44

North by Northwest is my favorite Hitchcock picture among all of my favorite Hitchcock pictures. Shadow of a Doubt and Notorious and Rear Window and Strangers on a Train and Rebecca and Psycho are all amazing, but if I had to pick just one it will always be NbNW. I had it in the fifteenth position on this ballot but could easily have been top ten material on another day. This is Hitchcock's magnum opus incorporating the best elements of all of his films to that point (much the same reason King Lear is my favorite Shakespeare play) and cleverly remixing them into one pot that has mistaken identities, spies, a MacGuffin, scenes of great tension, and moments of laugh-out-loud comedy. Screenwriter Ernie Lehman set out to write, "The Hitchcock picture to end all Hitchcock pictures," and he essentially succeeded. After this film Hitch made stylistic breaks with Psycho and The Birds and the Master of Suspense never quite returned to the tone and style of his films from the 1950s, and when he did return to the same kind of spy milieu as in Torn Curtain the fun was drained from the proceedings.

I have been lucky to see North by Northwest on the big screen several times over the years, though it doesn't seem to play in revival houses as regularly as things like Lawrence of Arabia and Blade Runner, both of which I have seen over twenty times theatrically, partially because I am obsessed with them and partially because they are available. But it is always a treat when NbNW comes around (you know, back when there used to be movie theaters). Witty, stylishly playful fun with perfect turns by Cary Grant, James Mason, and Eva Marie Saint. Cannot get enough.

"That wasn't very sporting, using real bullets."

That makes four of my choices so far.

HOLDEN'S LIST
10. Singin’ in the Rain (#64)
15. North by Northwest (#57)
16. Young Frankenstein (#77)
19. Brazil (#100)

I think I've only watched it one time, but I remember North By Northwest being very good. Definitely one of the best Hitchcock films I've seen, but not a movie that was ever in consideration for my ballot. I haven't seen Night of the Hunter.

My Ballot:
5. Her (#94)
9. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (#92)
25. Clay Pigeons (One-Pointers)

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
The Night of the Hunter - 7/10
Is there a movie where Shelley Winters does NOT drown?

Never saw "North by Northwest" - I can't watch Cary Grant...

Thought "The Night of the Hunter" was a wonderful dark story for its era. Disturbingly so. I've seen a few Hitchcocks and they do nothing for me. Haven't seen this one though.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

34/45 seen
2/26 on clues (I'm done here, think point has been made...)
6/25 off my list

#5 City of God (21 pts - #61)
#25 Forrest Gump (1 pt - #65)
#1 Pan's Labyrinth (25 pts - #68)
#12 Young Frankenstein (14 pts - #77)
#10 American Beauty (16 pts - #79)
#22 Harold & Maude (4 pts - #90)

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Both very good movies. I wouldn't even have guessed at Night of the Hunter showing up though. I did not vote for North by Northwest, but I did vote for a different Hitchcock film.