The Movie Forums Top 100 of All-Time Refresh: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

A system of cells interlinked
Curious what you mean by a demographic shift. Are you suggesting that new MoFo members skew younger, so are less likely to vote for Star Wars?
Could be, or perhaps the population as a whole tilt a bit more into the hardcore cinephiles as opposed to more casual viewers, with a decent portion of the veterans having garnered more exposure to more and better films over the years. The recent injection of Corrie users seem to be more dedicated cinema people than casual viewers, as well.

IMO Spacey as an actor has a much broader range than does T. Hanks. Hanks is a reliable bankable professional whose standing augments most pictures he's in. But it seems to me that Spacey has been convincing in a more varied repertoire. It's true that Hanks showed some different stuff in Forrest Gump, but most of his later career has been relatively similar in tone.
I agree with this. I rarely see Hanks get truly lost in a role, which is probably why I lean towards Spacey. But as far as "successful" run goes, it's very, very close.

That's quite a drop for Star Wars. That said, I can't say much cause it barely missed my list (had it at #35), but it kinda saddens me to see it this "low". I still love it, though. I think it's a magical film and having finished The Mandalorian about an hour ago just serves as a testament to how impactful this film is.

Weird story about Young Frankenstein from me. I had never seen it until I got ahold of a VHS tape about 10-15 years ago. I saw about half of it and for some reason, had to stop. Had nothing to do with the film. The weird thing is that I don't think I ever got back to it. Now I think I still have that tape, but I don't have a VHS player I should see it whole one day.

West Side Story was another one I put off watching forever because I thought it was stoopid, without ever having seen it. Well, having seen it, it's my second favorite musical of all time and just missed making my list. The only knock I can possibly give it (and it's a tiny, little knock) is that the supporting characters are more interesting than leads. Rita Moreno and Russ Tamblyn are outstanding and both lead my favorite songs - Officer Krupke and America. I still have a hard time believing that Dr. Jacoby could ever do some of those dance/gymnastic moves. A great film to watch on a rainy weekend.

American Beauty is another good one that I've seen a few times. Kind of surprised it cracked the top 100 not because it's bad but because it seems like a good movie to dump on.

Star Wars This was THE movie that got me into movies. It's one of my most watched movies of all time and that includes watching it only once since Lucas went back and ****ed with it (thank you Harmy!) It was my favorite Star Wars movie as a kid and my second favorite as an adult. Did not make my top 25.

Young Frankenstein is the only Mel Brooks movie I like. Blazing Saddles is okay but this is next level comedy. It's so quotable and it still makes me laugh everytime I watch it. Top ten all time comedy knocking on the door of top 5. Didn't make my list.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Star Wars is great. It's got top 100 possibilities for me in the future.

Young Frankenstein gets better Everytime too. Think I gave it 8/10 this year.

Best pairing so far for me possibly.

You know, I don't think Star Wars was absolutely perfect. Its only flaw is that it's just a little too long. Otherwise, phenomenal. All 25 movies on my list are flawless IMO, so there's that. I expect most of the top half of my list to make it, but there are a few unique choices that I don't expect to make it at all.

Both films did very well on the MoFo '70 List. Young Frankenstein was #15 while Star Wars was #4 behind only Taxi Driver, Jaws, and The Godfather. The original Star Wars was also #3 on the MoFo Sci-Fi List.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Both films did very well on the MoFo '70 List. Young Frankenstein was #15 while Star Wars was #4 behind only Taxi Driver, Jaws, and The Godfather. The original Star Wars was also #3 on the MoFo Sci-Fi List.

Does anyone ever think of the irony of movies of a decade or genre appearing on the top list being a different order from how they would appear on a list specifying that time period or genre? Say Pulp Fiction was the highest rated 90's movie on this list when it's number 3 on another 90's list. Just as an example.

What a big surprise to see Star Wars high up on the list which is fine, now that's what I call a curveball lol. I think I'm seeing some new hope into this list, keep it coming

Welcome to the Dance: My Favorite 20 High School Movies
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...02#post2413502

Unregistered User
Rate both highly, again neither were going to make my list but Star Wars especially deserves a place. Young Frankenstein is a solid comedy and my favourite from Mel Brooks. Didn't expect to see it but glad it did.

I haven't seen the original Star Wars in a long time. I'll have to rewatch it someday. Also, something tells me that @Yoda voted for it.

Young Frankenstein is an excellent comedy movie. It's definitely one of my 10 favorites of the genre. Still cracks me up to this day. Watching the 1931 Frankenstein and Bride of Frankenstein lead to me picking up on some of the references in it.

Does anyone ever think of the irony of movies of a decade or genre appearing on the top list being a different order from how they would appear on a list specifying that time period or genre? Say Pulp Fiction was the highest rated 90's movie on this list when it's number 3 on another 90's list. Just as an example.
A bit, but just a reflection of the voting panel being really different. It's different both in time and participation. Genre lists are more likely to be populated by the ballots of people who are big fans of that genre, too.

As much as I like (and indirectly encourage) the formation of narratives based on drops, the simple answer for weird or counterintuitive stuff is kinda just "it's different people."

While the seven-year-old me in 1977 would have had Star Wars as numbers one through twenty-four on my personal top twenty-five, at fifty-years-old in 2020 it is still a nostalgic touchstone but no longer near my tops.

However Young Frankenstein has been a favorite since childhood and my love and appreciation for it has only deepened over my lifetime. It was funny to the kid who first saw it and the number of jokes I "got" increased with age and experience. That a film can still make me belly laugh after five or six dozen viewings and having every beat and line memorized is the genius of the filmmaking from Brooks and company. I had it at number sixteen on my list this time, responsible for ten of its eighty points.

The more familiar you are with James Whale's original Universal monster movies of the 1930s the more there is to appreciate with the meticulous set design (much of the original laboratory equipment was still on the lot in storage!) and loving recreation of the look, but you need not have ever even heard of Mary Shelley's famous novel nor any of the myriad of film adaptations to love "Roll, roll, roll in zee hay...", "Abby Normal", "NUNNNIN' ON NE NIIIITZ", or any of the other truly countless lines and gags that will make me laugh forever and ever.

Much like the Oscar voting by The Academy of Motion Picture Arts & Sciences, comedies tend to get shorter shrift when it comes to all-time best-of lists by too many. I have seven or eight, depending on one's definition of the genre, on my list of twenty-five and Young Fronk-in-Steen ain't the highest.

HOLDEN'S LIST
16. Young Frankenstein (#77)
19. Brazil (#100)

A system of cells interlinked
While the seven-year-old me in 1977 would have had Star Wars as numbers one through twenty-four on my personal top twenty-five, at fifty-years-old in 2020 it is still a nostalgic touchstone but no longer near my tops.
What would have been your #25?

Nope. The voting pools and tastes change. I don't think if we re-did this list in six months the results would be the same, much less years down the line.